• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
Taking 20 to 331 will not help you avoid going to Walmart, so "better" is a state of mind for you to determine. My guess is that going your route on hwy 20, you will still hit some traffic in Niceville.

Thanks, SJ. I'm actually more concerned with traffic than finding or avoiding Walmart. I'll just have to accept the fact that arriving at a major tourist destination on a mid-summer weekend will involve slow moving traffic. :sosad:

More than offsetting this headache will be the fact that I'm not working and will eventually get to the beach!! :D

Last edited:

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Never had a problem with any huge crowds at the Publix in Carillon, and since the arrival of Publix, the Winn Dixie has improved as well.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Mid Bay Bridge toll plaza expansion does seem to have improved peak time traffic flow. Still something of a Saturday back-up, but from what we've seen, it's better than it was last summer.

JHA

Beach Comber
Jun 5, 2007
Carrollton, Ga
If we wait until early Sunday moning to shop at publix, my wife is afraid they will be out of many items. Any thought or comments? Also, where is the best place to purchase beach chairs and what is a good price range? (years past we have rented chairs/umbrella at beach). We are staying in Blue Mountain Beach at Adagio Condos. thanks. John :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JHA, if you wait until Sunday morning to shop for groceries, expect certain things in limited quantities. The main hot items are typically chips, milk, and bread. They have plenty of selections of these items, but on Sat pm and Sun am, while you should be able to get the items without problem, you might have to go with one which isn't your first choice. eg -- they may sell out of full gallons of 2% Publix brand milk, but they might have 2% organic milk in the half gallon, or they might have 1% in the full gallon. So you like Fritos Scoops? You may have to go with the regular Fritos.

As for beach chairs, I think the cheap-O chairs start around $20 and the good ones will run you about $45:yikes:. These are Walmart prices at the beach, if you dare to go. Publix at WaterColor and Sandestin also carry an assortment of beach chairs, reasonably priced. Publix will be much more convenient.

Last edited:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
If we wait until early Sunday moning to shop at publix, my wife is afraid they will be out of many items. Any thought or comments? Also, where is the best place to purchase beach chairs and what is a good price range? (years past we have rented chairs/umbrella at beach). We are staying in Blue Mountain Beach at Adagio Condos. thanks. John :D
John, surprisingly enough, beach equipment at Publix runs about the same price as it does other places. We had to purchase "emergency" chairs and an umbrella in April, and we bought the cheapest chairs at $10 each, I think it was, and an umbrella for $15.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
John, surprisingly enough, beach equipment at Publix runs about the same price as it does other places. We had to purchase "emergency" chairs and an umbrella in April, and we bought the cheapest chairs at $10 each, I think it was, and an umbrella for $15.

i sold them for $15 and $20 last week after publix ran out.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY

John, most all of the "sand chairs" are about the same price, $10-$15. I am old school and still prefer the tri-fold beach chair. If that is what you want you may have to go to Wal-Mart or Target to get one of those.

We stayed at the Adagio in May, you will love it.

I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. It takes forever to shop there because parking is always a nightmare, everything is so spread out in the store that it takes forever to shop there (such as when you are grocery shopping and want a pharmacy item, you have to go to the other side of the store), and checkout is maddenly slow.

And the Publix beach chairs *are* just as cheap as at Wal-Mart. Also, one of our spring break renters broke the coffeemaker. I decided to buy a Mr. Coffee instead of another expensive one because renters just can't seem to figure out how to use the expensive ones because they don't take the time to read the instructions. I priced the same Mr. Coffee at Publix and Wal-Mart; Publix was cheaper.