• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Boo hoo, we are back from our ten day stay at High Pointe condos. It was absolutely perfect. I choose the beaches of South Walton after a good amount of research...but was still apprehensive since I had never been. What a wonderful place you guys have there.

I already mentioned a few of my thoughts in another report but here are some more:

--I believe we ate at every restaurant at Rosemary Beach...or just about every one. And I was surprised that they were all very good. Onano, Paradis, Wild Olives, Cowgirl Kitchen, Summer Kitchen, Sugar Shak...all very tasty. Also ate at Flip Flops which was EXCELLENT (damn that burger was good) and my son said it was the best hot dog he's had. And Great Southern (?) had a great breakfast at Seaside.

--Never got to eat at Wild Olives for anything but breakfast though. They are terribly short staffed. We walked away once for dinner and once for lunch. Really wanted to eat there though. Felt sorry for the two women who were waiting on about 20 tables, inside and out AND checking people out at the store.

--Cowgirl Kitchen had the best Turkey blt I've ever had! However, being from Texas I am still perplexed what is Texan about it (other than the decorations). :lol: Excellent pizza and sammys though!

--Our waiter at Paradis was excellent and wish I could remember his name. Youngish, dark hair...frankly he was very handsome :) . He was super informative and professional.

--Wanted to try some more places at Seaside, but the two year old was getting cranky each time we went. Save it for next time. Modica Market was so cute I almost took pictures inside. Oh, we did get snowcones at the snowcone trailer after having a great time at Fired Up painting pottery. Which leads me to a funny thing my husband said. We were looking at all the pottery to paint (for the kids) and he said, "Wow! This place is pure margin!" (as in profit). Too funny.

--People would always ask where we were from and when I said, "Dallas, Ft. Worth" they said, "Wow, that's a drive!" We flew. But for some reason it struck me as funny that everyone thought we drove.

-- Loved Rosemary Beach, Seacrest, Seaside, Alys Beach and Watersound the most. We picked High Pointe because of the pool (we have two young sons) but if I could find a cute cottage at another place with access to a pool would try there too. The condos that TooFarTampa recommends on the north side of 30a are super cute too.

--Had family pics taken by Avalon Photography thanks to the link I saw on this website. Hope they turned out ok. That was the most stressful part of the whole trip! Those pics were a beating - but Amy (?) was wonderful! Getting both kids to smile...but not TOO much or look happy...but NOT WILD...or look calm...BUT NOT ANGRY! ... it was difficult. And I'm still trying to figure out what possessed me to straighten my hair for the pic. I mean, I'm from Houston... I know what humidity does to my curly hair. I'm surprised birds weren't nesting in it by the end of the shoot.

--Forgot about June grass, but figured I'd take the "well, that's nature!" approach and all was fine. Frankly, it wasn't that bad anyway. But boy, when you waded out to that clear water...it was heaven!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... but I can't stop telling people what a great time I had. Just keep the place fun and funky! I'm a huge fan of Austin, Texas and they have a big campaign called "Keep Austin Weird" I would suggest something similar for your area! :) I love how it's at once upscale, but fun and sometimes funky too.

Anyway...thanks again for a great trip. I'll miss cruising 30a with the convertible mustang we had...listening to The Beach Boys...

attached is a pic of us our last night there....

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Great trip report!!!!
People probably thought you drove because they've read countless boring posts from me and Kitty about our drives from Dallas to SoWal. :lol: Or maybe that should be countless posts about the boring drive..
Anyway, I can tell you had a great time. Once you go SoWal, you never go anywhere else. :wave:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Glad ya'll had a great trip and thanks for the report!

Seems like most everyone drives to the Florida panhandle-regardless of where they're from. I rarely meet anyone who flies in since you still have to rent a car to get on to the beach and to get around the area.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
DD (and anyone else)...how often do you drive to Sowal and how long does it take?

--And in reference to the 'driving' question that people were asking-- I think it just struck me as funny because I think Sowal is so fun that it shouldn't just be seen as a regional destination. It's certainly worth the plane fare IMHO.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
DD (and anyone else)...how often do you drive to Sowal and how long does it take?

--And in reference to the 'driving' question that people were asking-- I think it just struck me as funny because I think Sowal is so fun that it shouldn't just be seen as a regional destination. It's certainly worth the plane fare IMHO.

:wave:It takes 12 hours give or take. Most of it in Louisiana-depending on the route you take. Lots of trees--not much else. You can go 20-the northern route, or 10-the southern route. Not much difference in time either way.
We drive mostly because I hate flying, but also because we'd rather spend $ on food and liquor than gas. :lol:
Believe me, it's not a regional destination for us. It's paradise. I'd drive 20 hours if I had to.

mommaDee

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2009
I am a land locked Canadian
:wave:It takes 12 hours give or take. Most of it in Louisiana-depending on the route you take. Lots of trees--not much else. You can go 20-the northern route, or 10-the southern route. Not much difference in time either way.
We drive mostly because I hate flying, but also because we'd rather spend $ on food and liquor than gas. :lol:
Believe me, it's not a regional destination for us. It's paradise. I'd drive 20 hours if I had to.

I do drive 20 hours to get to Sowal (about 2 times a year) and it is well worth it! We love all the communities down 30A and I day dream of the time when my husband and I can be Canadian Snowbirds who spend the winter in Sowal. We make the 20 hours of driving part of the journey and have enjoyed the "enforced" visit with my two "children" , now 23 and 25 when they come along( as often as their schedule allows!). We have so many paragraphs of information to go through! We will arrive on 30A in just under 3 weeks and can't wait to feel the squeaky soft white sand under my feet and feel the ocean breeze come off that gorgeous emerald coloured water!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Great trip report. Next time, try George's (iabout 1/4 mile if that east of Alys Beach) and Caliza Pool restaurant at Alys Beach,. The lobster quesadilla at George's is amazing. Tastes great and is listed as an appetizer, but it sure would be big enough for two of us to split along with a salad for lunch. They had it last summer. Caliza Pool restaurant is only open in the evenings I think and the architecture is stunning (not for 2 year olds though in my view unless you have enough people with you to take a walk with the 2 year old - you don't want to rush a meal at Caliza Pool restaurant and there are plenty of places to go with a 2 year old there if the 2 year old needs a break). Was the fountain at Villages of South Walton dancing to music at night. It used to do that, but I'm not sure it still does. Kids love to run trough the fountain when it's dancing with colored lights.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Great trip report. Next time, try George's (iabout 1/4 mile if that east of Alys Beach) and Caliza Pool restaurant at Alys Beach,. The lobster quesadilla at George's is amazing. Tastes great and is listed as an appetizer, but it sure would be big enough for two of us to split along with a salad for lunch. They had it last summer. Caliza Pool restaurant is only open in the evenings I think and the architecture is stunning (not for 2 year olds though in my view unless you have enough people with you to take a walk with the 2 year old - you don't want to rush a meal at Caliza Pool restaurant and there are plenty of places to go with a 2 year old there if the 2 year old needs a break). Was the fountain at Villages of South Walton dancing to music at night. It used to do that, but I'm not sure it still does. Kids love to run trough the fountain when it's dancing with colored lights.

Oh, we wanted to try it. And wanted to try the Caliza pool restaurant. Next time!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Oh, we wanted to try it. And wanted to try the Caliza pool restaurant. Next time!

thanks for sharing; glad you had a good time. Everytime I read one of these trip reports, I remember how wonderful it is to live here all the time--it truly is a very special place and it is home.

Come back soon!