• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rays in Eastern Lake outlet

New posts
At Stingray City off Grand Cayman, I was actually talked into/forced into the water with stingrays. :yikes: It was weird. My older brother was dumb enough to pick them up out of the water to see their mouths. I lasted about 10 minutes and shuffled my tooshie back into the boat. Never again and that was 15 years ago.

Stingray City is an amazing experience! I've been there twice. You pull up, and within 30 seconds there are hundreds around the boat. They will eat right off of your hand. Odd thing, though. They like to chew on your hair. Very odd sensation...

It's all conditioned behavior. They equate the people with getting fed so they don't feel threatened in any way...
 
To those of you stating that the sting ray is a wild animal, and trying to strike fear into our hearts, this is simply a mis-statement. They are actually quite domesticated and are owned by the larger Manta-ray. This relationship and breeding program is thought to have originated somewhere in the Crustacean period. They may be a danger, but only because they are trying to protect their owners. For us to get along with them, we must first understand their role and not indescriminately label them as 'wild'. Thank you.
 
Love the pics...thanks for posting them. :clap: The top photo looks like heaven. It may be a new background.:D
 
What are you smoking? "Wild" doesn't always equate to dangerous. They are wild animals, living in the wild, just like the sharks. I don't say this to scare people out of the water, but just to note caution should always be taken when being outside of your normal environment, playing with animals with which you are unfamiliar. You, being a naturalist, should know the dangers of nature, when man begins interfering. ;-)



To those of you stating that the sting ray is a wild animal, and trying to strike fear into our hearts, this is simply a mis-statement. They are actually quite domesticated and are owned by the larger Manta-ray. This relationship and breeding program is thought to have originated somewhere in the Crustacean period. They may be a danger, but only because they are trying to protect their owners. For us to get along with them, we must first understand their role and not indescriminately label them as 'wild'. Thank you.
 
Just back from Fairhope and word was that bullnose rays are hurting local seafood industry. Have these rays made it to the Sowal beaches yet?
 
Kurt, I love your pictures...You have a fantastic ability to capture the best shot. You shots bring a lot of pleasure to many...I think I remember a time when ray meat was sold as scallops in some south Florida restarants..
 
Thanks! :wub:


There is a lot of seafood counterfeiting going on eveywhere. A lot of "scallops" are shark.
 
Hello everyone,

I want to take grandchildren crabbing today. We have a guest who has never visited a lake outlet. Can someone give me a heads up on best place to go? Are outlets open at Eastern or Western lakes? Thanks ahead of time.
 
Western was open as of Monday- and it has been beautiful- clear water when the tide is coming in...

I have heard that Eastern Lake is closed up.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top