Reasons Behind Customary Use - Protection or Development?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Grace Daniell, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Shannon Lince

Shannon Lince Beach Lover

As far as I know, CU has yet to be established - that's what the county has been trying to implement for a few years now right? No one actually knows what actually flipping all private beaches into public beaches will result, but it's not a stretch to be concerned about what the density will be once this occurs.

Walton county just can't keep flipping single family homes into 20 person rentals and just keep creating more density and at the same time believe that the area will remain tolerable for full-time residents.

Watch what you wish for.

Shannon

2. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Shannon,

I support CU but...

I agree that the reason the BCC has allowed all this over development is that it is "designed to push out the historical "beach neighborhoods" with full-time residents, which are anchored by their own stretch of beach ... and turn these beaches into a wide open commodity --- the locals doing the real estate industry lobbyists and developers bidding".

Gone are the days of our cozy and quaint community with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you are more traffic jams, more rentals, more private homes being sold to turn them into rentals, more development and still no infrastructure in place to handle the demands of more traffic.

Gone will be sea turtle nesting habitat's, destruction of more dunes and all the things we once knew our beaches to be.

It's sad and its heart wrenching to watch but this is what the BCC has bought and paid for by ignoring the LDC and Comprehensive plan and allowing developers, big money and politics to determine their poorly thought out decisions.

I think all of us agree that it will never be again what it once was and its difficult to let go of that. The reality is I don't think we don't have a choice anymore.

3. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

You are just a tad bit defensive about disclosing how long you have been a residence of this community. Why is that? And you more than a tad bit arrogant that you are" adding something constructive to the debate" considering your lack of a long and deep understanding and commitment to this community.

4. EZ4144

EZ4144 Beach Lover

See if this pattern holds ... troll...troll...troll..troll...OMG you guys are terrible .... IMA VICTIM! ... silence.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Lake View Too, not everyone hops onto all the social media sites available these days. Even people who have been on here for years tend to come and go in terms of their interaction. It really is ok for people to have differing views. It sure would be helpful if people could get back to being civil and courteous while disagreeing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Shannon Lince

Not even close. Don't respond to nonsense.

Shannon

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. Shannon Lince

You maybe right, but I don't support anything that would accelerate the demise of these irreplaceable natural resources or residential areas. In my view is customary use or as I call it, customary density will greatly accelerate this result. We may not be able to stop it, but we damn sure shouldn't be encouraging it. The environmental impact of density is undeniable.

Shannon

8. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

I wonder... does a BFO call the sheriff if their next door BFO neighbor or their guests steps foot on "their beach"?

I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood like that.

Very possesive and paranoid behavior in my opinion. This is symptomatic of deep seeded personality issues. Very deep issues.

9. JBBeached

JBBeached Beach Comber

If there are piles of garbage, tents and junk on those private beaches it's not due to the homeowners. The homeowners didn't leave that mess. The people that left it obviously don't care much for our beaches. It all goes back to being a respectful beach goer, leave with what you brought. This is an issue that homeowners have dealt with for years. The county's answer was to have garbage trucks come clean up instead of insisting that people clean up after themselves. We've created an environment of people can do whatever they want on the beach instead of teaching people to be respectful of the beaches and our environment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

The area definately lacks code enforcement if people are leaving trash behind. At least now code enforcement can concentrate on those public area commoners that have no respect for the beach.

If we are still cleaning the public beaches every day and 50% of those beaches have beach chair vendors on them and there is still trash left on the beach, wouldn't at least some of that be coming from the 1000 or so bfo's and their guests?

I think someone said we have 3 miles of publc beach minus 50% (for vendors) that leaves the rest of us with 1.5 miles of beach to mess up and clean after. The remaining 20+ miles is being tended to by the ecologically conscience bfo's.

If my numbers are even close to accurate, this should be an easy fix.

11. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

Man, you are all twisted up. Picking up after people is the right thing to do. We aren't training them. Their parents in Atlanta did that. Or rather failed to do that. Get used to it. People paying $20K a week for a rental expect to be picked up after.

12. FloridaBeachBum

FloridaBeachBum Beach Fanatic

It's about NINE (9) miles of public beach; not 3. You have had, have, and will have 26 miles of public foreshore beach to walk on. L.C. Bane, who takes care of your private property better than you? Who takes better care of private beachfront property better than the owner of the property? After TS Gordon storm surf a week ago do you know what I picked up most!? In order; 1. cigarette butts, 2. water bottle twist tops, and 3. plastic toys. I don't smoke and all the rest was not mine or the people I invite on our property.

13. FloridaBeachBum

FloridaBeachBum Beach Fanatic

NO, people picking up after yourself is the respectful and right thing to do. Picking up after disrespectful people is enabling them. One way to prevent beachfront from being trashed is to apply consequences - keep off if you can't respect private beachfront and cleanup after yourself.

14. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I hope we can agree that the TDC and Walton County should have programs in place and working every day to keep beaches clean, pristine, free of debris, proper lighting, no improper signs or fences (besides those allowed at this point, enforcement of rules for all beach activities including vendors. That's part of their mission and we should expect clean beaches no matter who claims private or not. Can we at least agree that our beaches deserve daily maintenance, good enforcement AND a limited/regulated Vendor program similar to other coastal communities. Keeping beaches clear of all obstacles to enjoying a beautiful beach day.

Clean beaches for the entire coastline is something we should all expect.

15. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

There are no consequences.

16. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

NINE (9) miles, got it. I wasn't positive on that number just thought I read on here somewhere. Oh thats right. If you include state parks its 9. Excluding pay to enter state parks it's 3 according to one of your other posts. Thank you for the correction and for picking up around the beach. Much appreciated.

17. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I'm still waiting on the figures from TDC or somebody about how many visitors we get on any given sun day to see how they are going to fit in the 3 miles.

18. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Um, this is an odd question; neither protection nor development. This is purely about people wishing to use the beach as they always have without harassment or hinderance. No conspiracy. Simple. We want to go whenever and wherever we wish on all beaches as it has always been. Simple. That Is All.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

I hope you encourage all you know to follow your example as you personally and publicly at BCC meetings and by every other means at your disposal urge the BCC to set forth reasonable rules and regs for the Beach Vendors, including limits on setups, require they clean their licensed stretch of beach every day, filling in of holes dug, and selling the rights to those beaches rather than giving them away. Ghost setups no longer allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018
  20. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Well it didnt take that long...from Floridabeachbum on the Open Question thread....."Wow. Incredible. You and Dave R and others only encourage this behavior and blame the victims!?"You called it!