• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I hope there is no truth to it. There would be an awful lot of upset/disappointed folks if that ever came to pass.

By the same token, I could *kinda* understand it. Parking has become damn-near impossible, plus Oli is operating two other places now.

But the place is an INSTITUTION. I have been frequenting the place since the day they opened the doors. It is extremely depressing to think of driving down Hotz Avenue and not seeing the throngs of people waiting to get in. :cry:

JB said:
I hope there is no truth to it. There would be an awful lot of upset/disappointed folks if that ever came to pass.

By the same token, I could *kinda* understand it. Parking has become damn-near impossible, plus Oli is operating two other places now.

But the place is an INSTITUTION. I have been frequenting the place since the day they opened the doors. It is extremely depressing to think of driving down Hotz Avenue and not seeing the throngs of people waiting to get in. :cry:

You know what they say "everything is for sale" I'm sure that place would bring many millions.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have no clue if Oli, et al. are selling the Red Bar. My gut instinct is that within the next 10 years, you will not find many restaurants in South Walton, except for the San Destin area. Sure there will be a few who choose to hold on, but you will not see new ones going in. The land price is too high, and there more service employees are moving out. Look at Snapperheads, which is for sale. I forget the price, but it sits on 4-5 lots and is listed for somewhere around $3Million I think. (do not quote me on that price). Tell me what restaurant can make money at that price. One would have to spend another half million on a new building alone. Perhaps, if the Mack Bayou Study allows, Chat Holley will become restaurant row. It sure as H_ll won't be 30-A. I don't know if Nick''s, which burned and is out of operation on 30-A, has any plans, but they certainly are not moving fast to rebuild, are they? They make more money and have no headaches, ie employees and customers, by sitting on the land.

Smiling JOe said:
I have no clue if Oli, et al. are selling the Red Bar. My gut instinct is that within the next 10 years, you will not find many restaurants in South Walton, except for the San Destin area. Sure there will be a few who choose to hold on, but you will not see new ones going in. The land price is too high, and there more service employees are moving out. Look at Snapperheads, which is for sale. I forget the price, but it sits on 4-5 lots and is listed for somewhere around $3Million I think. (do not quote me on that price). Tell me what restaurant can make money at that price. One would have to spend another half million on a new building alone. Perhaps, if the Mack Bayou Study allows, Chat Holley will become restaurant row. It sure as H_ll won't be 30-A. I don't know if Nick''s, which burned and is out of operation on 30-A, has any plans, but they certainly are not moving fast to rebuild, are they? They make more money and have no headaches, ie employees and customers, by sitting on the land.

I'll bet Nicks becomes condos. Sitting on top of that hill... Are you kidding me? Nicks Gulf View Condos.... Just a "short" stroll to the beach... :roll: :mrgreen:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Yes Nick's property is to be developed for housing.

Scenic 30-A will continue to get new restaurants - whether wise or not from a dollars and sense standpoint. Many people choose unwisely when starting restaurants. Just look at the house at Grayton boardwalk that just sold by auction. It was built as a restaurant at a high price. Was a very bad idea at the time.

Some that are existing and some new ones will continue to thrive.