• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kevin, after reading your post again, I do see that you are presenting questions. My apologies to you for calling them accusations.

Yes, anyone can look up the public information like sales.
At a glance, I really don't see anything fishy about the properties Richard owns or sold, mentioned in your post. As for the one in Blue Mtn Beach S/D, I believe it is his primary residence which he bought some time ago.

For the property in Lakeside at Blue Mtn, while the Prop Appraiser's site still shows the entire property as one big parcel, the GIS stll shows Richard Fowlkes as still being the current owner of the lot you mentioned. I think the more interesting info here is that the County has assessed his lot at only $41,785. :eek: That is kind of wierd since he paid $280,000 for it in June of 2005. Think someone screwed up here -- in a major way. It isn't only his lot, but every lot in this development, including the Lake front lots, has been assessed at only $41,785 each. No wonder people are moaning about taxes, especially when they see other people's assessed value so much lower. Look across the street in the Village of Blue Mtn, and you will see the lots assessed around $250,000, while the assessed value of the lots in the subdivision to the south of Hwy 30A start around $425,000.

Looks like Richard made some good money on the lot in the Preserve at Grayton Beach when he sold it, but I know many people who did. His purchase price seems in line with other buyers at that time, and I bet he is glad that he sold it when he did.

I am unaware of what you mention about Redfish Village being bought from the developers of Lakeside at Blue Mtn. You lost me there. I think that Lakeside at Blue Mtn, was developed by Blue Mountain Preserve, LLC, so that might be the confusion -- I don't know. Funny how people like to throw in words like, "Preserve" into their LLC names and development names, then cut down most of the trees on the property and pave and buid on the majority of it. Or, how they illegally build a bridge through the wetlands, without requesting permission for a permit. Why don't they call it what it is rather than sugar coating it with beer goggles? Drives me bonkers.

On the whole, I don't see this connection with Richard and the questionable payoff from the Developers of Redfish Village. My guess is that Richard was probably quite about Redfish Village's lot #2 Private Beach Access due to his residence being directly down the street from where most Redfish Village owners would be walking to the beach, if Redfish didn't score the permission to use lot #2 for the access. Just my guess. NIMBY

Last edited:

Kevin Thompson

Beach Lover
Dec 23, 2006
SJ it looks to me like Richard Fowlkes might have made a couple hundred thousand dollars on two lots I could be wrong is that what you have found? You are right that alot of people made money around that time flipping lots.

My comment is that Richard has held himself to a higher standard. He has opposed developers and so it seems a good question to say why does Richard say "Based in part on those negotiations we did not oppose the development at the BCC hearings and the development sailed through the process gaining quick approval." in a situation when he has made a couple hundred thousand dollars from a situation where he would usually vigorously be fighting?

Could you even comprehend a situation where Richard is sitting in the sales office of a multi-acre development across the street from his house buying two lots from a developer and then not opposing that development on the same lake he so vigorously defends now? It is mind boggling from someone like him who can write letters like the one we see on page one of this thread. That is the interesting question I am asking.

Read his letter (which I believe to be inaccurate) on page one of this thread then think about him being silent on another very similar development on the same lake and consider that he would go into Redfish and say "can I buy a couple of condos" and then all of sudden he is quiet? I think you are right on the beach access because he was sheepishly attending the BOCC meeting with almost one point "please make sure the shuttle goes down 83" away from his house and my house. The only thing is that I admit that is what I wanted. Richard though puts himself out as the protector of all of us and I am not sure he is.

And SJ the point about the original developer is that Lakeside at Blue Mountain was the overall development. The people who developed that were the same people who developed the Preserve. That is where Richard Fowlkes acquired those flipped lots. The developers of Redfish Village (the ones I know) bought only a piece of that development (the front part where the new buildings are) and are a different group. Richard received his lots from the original developers who are not the developers of Redfish Village who Richard is so vocal about now. Silent about the first group where he made a few hundred thousand allowing the project to "sail through", silent about the beach access because the shuttle goes down 83 but very vocal now.

It just makes for an interesting conversation because of the picture Richard paints of himself.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
First of all Kurt I have not leveled any accusations. I have posted facts and once again I will state that I have asked questions. If you want an example of an accusation which you should delete it would be something like Edroedrog #8 on this thread but for some reason you ignore his posts and only delete my mine.

I am hearing you say you don't allow personal attacks but you do. I would ask somebody independent like Smiling Joe or Johnr to comment on whether there were any personal attacks on the beach access thread.

There is a trust that we have here that you are neutral and treat everybody fairly. You might not like it but deleting my posts, telling me to "watch it" when you allow all the trash posted over the past couple months is not perceived as fair by me or I would suspect several other people here. You own this site and can do what you want but you know what they say about absolute power. Use yours carefully.

You keep bringing up the other thread. The only thing I remember is someone calling out the "developer" because the "developer" advertised a gulf front lot and didn't have approval to offer it. I don't consider that a personal attack. I will tell you one more time - give me specific posts you have a problem with for me to look at or let it drop.

As for this thread, the way I read it is you are accusing Fowlkes of taking bribes, even if you are dancing around by calling them questions. Ordinarily I might let it ride, especially since he is a public figure and as you point out puts himself out front on issues. But when someone is not on the board to defend themselves I will give you or anyone else less leeway.

As for edroe, I am with JR, most of his posts I can't make sense of. But it looks like he is unhappy with the "development" or the "developer", and does not mention any persons by name.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kevin, I believe I understand your point. I think most people would tend to put their own interests before the interests of a group or community. It is unfortunate that so many of us do it. Having ideals is easy, while incorporating them into our life, can prove to be difficult. Too often, we look for our "leaders" in society to help carry us down the right path. Maybe we sometimes forget that they are people just like the rest of us, with similar flaws and problems. Perhaps we all need to take a deep look at ourselves and try to become better examples of leaders, and then, one day, we may have better leaders in our society.

Kevin Thompson

Beach Lover
Dec 23, 2006
You keep bringing up the other thread. The only thing I remember is someone calling out the "developer" because the "developer" advertised a gulf front lot and didn't have approval to offer it. I don't consider that a personal attack. I will tell you one more time - give me specific posts you have a problem with for me to look at or let it drop.

As for this thread, the way I read it is you are accusing Fowlkes of taking bribes, even if you are dancing around by calling them questions. Ordinarily I might let it ride, especially since he is a public figure and as you point out puts himself out front on issues. But when someone is not on the board to defend themselves I will give you or anyone else less leeway.

As for edroe, I am with JR, most of his posts I can't make sense of. But it looks like he is unhappy with the "development" or the "developer", and does not mention any persons by name.

Fine Kurt since you are acting like you did not read every post on the beach access thread I will give you an example.

Post 249 on beach access "I do not have a problem with that at all. I am sorry if LyingFish Trailer Park and Hard2Sell offends you but it is true. Tell me that they have not lied to the community tell me that they have not lied to their investors tell me that they have not. Please do because they have and they continue to ..." Edroedrog

Kurt that is what a "serious accusation" as you say is. In a declaratory form making a statement that somebody lied and committed an illegal offense. I was there to defend them but they were not and you did not do anything about it. Calling somebody a liar is also another violation of your rules because it is a personal attack.

The next point about my post on Richard Fowlkes is that stating that somebody owned and sold lots and also reciting a quote from a letter then asking in interrogatory form what it might mean is not accusing somebody of a bribe so don't draw your inferences and then tell me that I accused somebody of a bribe. If that is the case then the beach access thread which is also full of innuendo (as this thread started to as well with Edroedrog piling in) is really just a series of direct accusations to the developers of Redfish who are not here to defend themselves.

Now in post #42 on the beach access thread you (Kurt) say to gogators "If you're going to post something like this, please provide a link, a source, or something more substantial or it will be deleted." when he accuses the developer of a crime. He never provides back-up and you never delete the post.

I am asking you to be fair and consistent.

Last edited:

Fanceenan

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Montgomery
Ok, I tried to be quiet!! But Smiling Joe, I love the beating the dead horse icon. Where did you get that? I may need to use it later.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
KT, Kurt has a life, with many other things on his plate. He has brought us this wonderful forum to enjoy, so don't hammer away at him if he uses the smite key. It's his choice, and I know, that, over time, he has proven himself to be very low key and accepting.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Fine Kurt since you are acting like you did not read every post on the beach access thread I will give you an example.

Post 249 on beach access "I do not have a problem with that at all. I am sorry if LyingFish Trailer Park and Hard2Sell offends you but it is true. Tell me that they have not lied to the community tell me that they have not lied to their investors tell me that they have not. Please do because they have and they continue to ..." Edroedrog

Kurt that is what a "serious accusation" as you say is. In a declaratory form making a statement that somebody lied and committed an illegal offense. I was there to defend them but they were not and you did not do anything about it. Calling somebody a liar is also another violation of your rules because it is a personal attack.

The next point about my post on Richard Fowlkes is that stating that somebody owned and sold lots and also reciting a quote from a letter then asking in interrogatory form what it might mean is not accusing somebody of a bribe so don't draw your inferences and then tell me that I accused somebody of a bribe. If that is the case then the beach access thread which is also full of innuendo (as this thread started to as well with Edroedrog piling in) is really just a series of direct accusations to the developers of Redfish who are not here to defend themselves.

Now in post #42 on the beach access thread you (Kurt) say to gogators "If you're going to post something like this, please provide a link, a source, or something more substantial or it will be deleted." when he accuses the developer of a crime. He never provides back-up and you never delete the post.

I am asking you to be fair and consistent.

You are equating a company with an individual, and there is a difference. If someone accuses a company, then yes, they should have information to back it up, even if it is a personal account of dealings with that company. If someone attacks a member of this board directly, or a person who is not here to defend himself, that will get a harsher response. That's the way this board is run. "No personal attacks" is a pretty simple rule.

And gogators post #41 was deleted at the time I warned him.

Bob - I appreciate it. I am very lenient and I've never had this much trouble with any one poster. "No personal attacks" is a pretty simple rule.

KT, Kurt has a life, with many other things on his plate. He has brought us this wonderful forum to enjoy, so don't hammer away at him if he uses the smite key. It's his choice, and I know, that, over time, he has proven himself to be very low key and accepting.

ya, just look at his post count :roll: pffffftttt.........
:D