• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Re: Renters, Be Kind to Your Customers!

Mermaid said:
Exactly, Peapod! I think all the information should be out there in a clear, concise way. I don't want to have to sift through yards of flowery prose, either, to find out what's included and what's not......

Agreed, Mermaid.
If I have to guess at whether or not a charge is included or not I'm more likely to skip on to the next rental. There are LOTS to get through, so this is a process of elimination. (Unless something about it catches my attention enough to check further --- like "will consider your clean, cute, well-behaved small dog" :D )

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch

Rita said:
Agreed, Mermaid.
If I have to guess at whether or not a charge is included or not I'm more likely to skip on to the next rental. There are LOTS to get through, so this is a process of elimination. (Unless something about it catches my attention enough to check further --- like "will consider your clean, cute, well-behaved small dog" :D )
Yes! Good point, Rita. I have to scan rentals by price--hey, we're on a budget--4 kids, 1 salary! So, if I see a rental that is toward the top end of our range, and I don't know if the rate is really "solid," I'll keep moving. I bet there are rentals out there we could've taken if I would've known how accurate the pricing was.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I'm glad to see other that make finding the "perfect" vacation home. I told my husband last night that I know I'm looking at homes a bit more than he wanted to spend, but this is my one vacation a year. I want to relax and enjoy the home as well as the area we are visiting. Mt husband would be happy in a one room house as long as he could ride his bike everyday and sit around reading :funn: I on the other hand am a bit more into details!

Rita, while I love my dog, all 54 pounds of her, part of my vacation is not having to deal with her for a week. :blush: She has a blast staying with her trainer at his home with 3-5 other dogs; it's like a 24 hour camp day to her. She has made friend with the trainer horse; something she can't do at home. the way I see it, we all get a vacation and the dog's isn't cheap. :eek:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
We have gotten a house sitter sometimes, which really amounts to a dog sitter as the house seems to do fine on it's own. :D

Sometimes we have neighbors walk her three times a day. The kids love to make this money, but I know she is lonely. We haven't left her at a kennel. She loves to travel and we enjoy having her come along most places with us.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
That reminds me of another thing, talking about dogs. It would be nice if owners elaborated on "small dogs welcome." My small might not be your small, so give specific weight limits!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I have to say that if I were renting from afar, I'd think twice about allowing pets. You have so little control to know how things were left. I probably wouldn't do it even though I know most pet owners would be very consciencious - it only takes one or two. :dunno:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Rita said:
I have to say that if I were renting from afar, I'd think twice about allowing pets. You have so little control to know how things were left. I probably wouldn't do it even though I know most pet owners would be very consciencious - it only takes one or two. :dunno:

And you never know how your dog is going to behave in strange surroundings. Some dogs do fine, others hike their leg on everything 'cause it's not "their place"- gotta claim it. It would be terrible to be in someone's house and your dog decides it's a good place and time to have any anxiety attack and destroy the place, bark like a maniac, forget the housebreaking, etc. That would not be a relaxing vacation for me! I have dreamed about my dogs playing on the beach, etc., but because of these reasons, plus the weather being so hot in the summer there, I'll pass! I'm all for leaving them at home if possible, or a good kennel that came with lots of recommendations!

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Rita said:

You make a good point Rita - it only takes one.

Fortunately, our experience has been very positive. We screen carefully and have found that generally speaking, guests who travel with pets are exceptionally careful, reliable and loyal as a group.

Also, Pet friendly properties tend to book much earlier in the season and more frequently than those who aren't IMHO :roll:

Last edited:

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA

pokey said:
I am always wonder where in Seagrove a home is. Some home will just say Seagrove with no indidcation if it is East or West. Or I love the houses that are under the Seaside category, yet when getting more information you find they are on Eastern Lake. :shock: I understand owners might not want to list their address, but give me a better idea where you are located.
I agree. It seems that a lot of the rental sites list houses as Santa Rosa Beach (I could be wrong but I think the SR Beach zip code encompasses a couple beach towns.) It would be more helpful to know the exact beach community.