Report: airport traffic down compared to summer

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by 30ashopper, Dec 14, 2010.

1. 30ashopper

30ashopper SoWal Insider

New international airport in Panama City isn't being used by many people | panama, city, people - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Shocking I say, just shocking! :sarc:

2. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Hmmm...I wonder if it has anything to do with the general decline in the economy... anybody know if other airports around the country are also experiencing a decrease in attendance?

3. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I think part of it is the process of discovering the right level of service. Southwest has given them a really good spike in passenger count, but I'm guessing that 60% load is probably going to lead to some flight reductions (Will/singing chicken, any thoughts on that?) in the short term until demand strengthens again.

4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

It couldn't have anything to do with the end of tourist season? :roll:

5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

As a frequent flyer, here's what I see:

-Fares are down out of ECP compared to PFN, but not across the board. You can count on low fares on any route both Delta and Southwest service. Sometimes, fares are low where there is no competition, sometimes not. Fares are usually much more competitive with VPS, which used to be much lower than PFN. I have only flown out of VPS twice this year - in a normal year prior to ECP, I would have flown out of VPS probably 60% of the time.

-The long term parking lot is full much of the time, and the new expansion to it is also full. Either they mis-sized it, or they have more flyers than they anticipated.

-The % full seat rate has got to be affected by the size of planes at ECP. PFN accomodated ONLY the small CRJs, while there are some flights now in "real" airliners.

-The oil spill HAS to have affected air travel into PC. Lord knows, it's affected everything else related to tourism.

-The airport is oversized for the current traffic. But, I thought that was the whole point - having room to grow - regardless of whether or not you think "St. Joe Int'l" was a boondoggle or not.

6. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

That was why moving it was the best option.

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Beach Fanatic

Only time will tell.

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Amen. I've been twice on uneventful weekends and both times the short and long term lots were filled and the temporary on grass parking had 40+ cars in it. Maybe it's just a lot of people hanging out at the airport for the coffee and chicklets.

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Gee - the city that lost out on Southwest sounds a little bitter. News Flash: tourism travel to Emerald Coast plummets after summer.

I posted this on the NWFBIA thread earlier:

Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport is drawing nearly 3 times the passengers than the old one

10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Like I said.

3X the passengers is believeable. PFN was incredibly sleepy. There are folks moving through ECP.

I'm not a booster, in fact I hated to see PFN go. As a traveler, I just love the convenience of a tiny airport. I'm just observing how it works out from a seat at the gate waiting to board every week or two.

SJ - You walk inside, and there are half a dozen people waiting to pick up someone incoming. Yet, the short term lot is full. Makes me wonder if they are using short term for employee parking. Either that, or there are a lot of folks paying a steep tariff for longer term parking.

11. cabythesea

cabythesea Beach Lover

Seagrove Business Traveler

I travel almost weekly - a business traveler. Where I used to go to VPS every week, I have gone there once since May 23rd. I still travel Delta when I must, but I have earned 5 free flights on Southwest so far. Although I do not pay for my flights, I do book the most economic flights I can find. The easy commute to ECP makes a big difference - 35 minutes without traffic.
    I understand this is not why St. Joe built this airport - it?s all about tourist who will buy/build houses or at least come and spend money. Is that a bad thing?
    Bottom line - the new airport has made my life easier and will benefit the tourist industry over time. Complain if you must but take it from someone who travels frequently - the new airport is a huge positive!!!!

12. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

The Daily News article was a reprint of the original Business Week article. Note the utter lack of spelling or grammar mistakes, which is a major sign that no one at the DN came near the story.

13. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Are fares really cheap into the new fantabulous airport since it is obviously 'off season?'

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

There are teaser fairs which Southwest pushes on occasion, like $39 one way flights to Orlando, $60 to Nashville, Houston, Baltimore, Chicago. Sign up for their facebook page.

15. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Or email.

16. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

One of the reasons that the national level of "flight fullness" is much higher than PC is that airlines have cut flights and are doing everything they can to send out full planes and save money.

The 83% they reference for national is about 10-15% higher than usual. 60% at PC with that many flights a day is much better than I thought they'd do.

And while tourists do fly, many locals do too. If PC could get the fares down, I'd probably use them for 5-6 flights a year.

Yes SJ, I know they have teaser fares and whatever, but those are never when or where I am wanting to fly.

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I mentioned it only because Lynnie asked.

18. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Just wanted you to know I hear you and have checked, but haven't been able to get those fares yet.

Maybe I'll get to fly through there in 2011. :D