Rodeo in Mobile

Discussion in 'Music and Nightlife' started by John R, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

When are you getting on the road???:dunno: Quit Sowalling and get a move on!!

2. John R

John R needs to get out more

anyone else planning on going?

3. jimmyp5

jimmyp5 Beach Lover

i bet we'll be going.

neither the mobile civic center website nor ticketmaster had any notice of the booking yet, as of earlier today.

i'm very happy for our dreadboys.

4. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Aye!

5. John R

6. jimmyp5

jimmyp5 Beach Lover

tickets apparently go on sale on 12/29 on ticketmaster:

Mobile Civic Center Calendar [for 12/29]
    Jerry Douglas- ON SALE

10am

Jerry Douglas along with special guest Rolling In The Hay and Dead Clampit will perform on Saturday, January 27th at 8pm!

Tickets are $25 and go on sale TODAY at 10am at the Mobile Civic Center Box Office and all TicketMaster outlets. To charge by phone call TicketMaster at 251.434.0033 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Although his new album is titled The Best Kept Secret, multi-talented musician/composer/ producer Jerry Douglas' talents are widely known, both to his musical peers and to an enthusiastic audience that spans the musical spectrum. In addition to being widely acknowledged as America's foremost master of the dobro, the twelve-time Grammy winner is a freewheeling, forward-thinking recording artist whose output draws upon a bottomless well of musical inspiration, incorporating elements of bluegrass, country, rock, jazz, blues and Celtic into his distinctive musical vision.

www.jerrydouglas.com

www.ticketmaster.com/venue/221712

7. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

Who is going to Mobile?

8. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

9. John R

see you there.

10. steele mama

Well, alrighty then!!! If you need a place to crash Saturday night my sister has room!

11. John R

good show. a couple too many bands, playing too short sets, but still a good time.

chris, how did it go up in atlanta?

12. steele mama

Exactly! The perfect night would have been....1 hour of Dread, and 1 hour of Jerry Douglas! And Nancy would not get her camera confiscated! :eek:

13. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

John, it was a fantastic show. (Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett in a songwriter's format at the Tabernacle in Atlanta.) No tape, I was turned away at the door, and I didn't see anyone else taping either, so I assume it was artist's request. (Too bad, Guy said this was a no set-list show, so it really was a moment in time that would've been great to archive.) My seats were in the balcony at stage right, and we were right on top of Lyle! Guy commented at the start of the show that it had been a long time since they had played in a real bar. They played for 2.5 hours, only break was the brief little "game we play with the audience" as Guy called the encore. I had never seen Joe Ely before, he was very good, but John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett stole the show with what really appeared to be ad-lib banter and joking. It was cool to see the respect these guys all have for each other, as well as the respect they all had for Guy. Lyle ended the show with Clark's 'Step Inside This House', which was the first song Clark ever wrote; he never recorded it but Lyle did.

The Tabernacle was very cool, must've really been a scene when it was a church! Seats were miserably jammed together, side by side and front to back- I ended up standing behind my seats at the back of the balcony the whole show. The floor was a temporary setup with folding chairs- the place is better suited for a jam-band show, but is still a great venue.

After the show, walked across the street to Ted's Montana Grill. Starving, I ordered a ribeye and a Shiner Bock, continuing the Texas theme. Beer was great, the steak was so-so, and Ted's was a bit disappointing but did fill my belly.

14. Nancy L

Nancy L Beach Lover

AMen to that, Steele Mama!