• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Lynnie, they are worse than bad. I have never seen them swarm like they are doing this year. You have to run, swipe, duck just to get to the car. I did observe the beautiful dragonflies making a meal of them yesterday!:lolabove:

Oh no!!! I have a theory that the worse the yellow fly season, the worse the hurricane season......I will change this so there is no bad hurricane juju. :blink:
However, watch for dead millipedes, too.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Oh no!!! I have a theory that the worse the yellow fly season, the worse the hurricane season......I will change this so there is no bad hurricane juju. :blink:

My little 'bug girls' learned a lesson about bothering the millipedes. They secrete chemicals that stink. After being sprayed by one the other night, Jackie put her fingers on her nose. Next morning her nose was purple. Turns out the chemicals are caustic. So she has an X on her nose that is slowly peeling away. I think our millipedes are safe for now. :roll: :lol:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic

I tend to agree with your theory.

Here is something that works for me on yellow fly bites (I'm extemely prone to massive swelling, itching, and infection from these vicious little creeturs):

IMMEDIATELY slap a vinegar soaked rag on the bite. It seems to neutralize or draw out the poison. It's worth carrying a baggy of soaked rags in your pocket.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
My little 'bug girls' learned a lesson about bothering the millipedes. They secrete chemicals that stink. After being sprayed by one the other night, Jackie put her fingers on her nose. Next morning her nose was purple. Turns out the chemicals are caustic. So she has an X on her nose that is slowly peeling away. I think our millipedes are safe for now. :roll: :lol:

eekkk ... I had no idea millipedes had this effect.
Poor Jackie. But you're a good Mom to let 'em learn some of the tough lessons on their own!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc

Poor Jackie, nature can make a kid tough! I had no idea millipedes would do this! I hope her nose returns to its natural shade soon.:lol:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Poor Jackie, nature can make a kid tough! I had no idea millipedes would do this! I hope her nose returns to its natural shade soon.:lol:

me too ya'll. She's embarassed by it, but i'll bet she's going to be a bit more cautious of what she just picks up to investigate. :roll:
For the record, the millipedes showed a LOT of patience before resorting to the 'spray'.

I also read that monkeys use this chemical by rubbing it on themselves to keep mosquitoes away. :lol:

Last edited:

SeaFern

Beach Lover
Dec 2, 2007
pt. washington & niceville
Since I moved here 7 years ago, I have done hours and hours of research on yellowflies. I am one of those people who can be outside with 100 other people and will be the only one who gets bit by mosquitos. So you can imagine what it's like with those yellowflies chasing me - yes, I'm the lunatic waving my hands and running down the driveway after walking the gauntlet to the mailbox.

The only thing that I found that works is made by a company who is licensing an all natural formula containing geraniol, which is a yellowgrass extract, from the University of Florida, called BugBand. It's a great product and is about 80% successful on my person. I was so impressed that I started selling it in the area, to local stores. 5 years later, the company undermined my efforts and started selling directly to stores, cutting me out. I couldn't believe how they treated me after all the work I had done on their behalf - believe me I wasn't making much money. So you can imagine how I feel about this company! But the product is still good and is being sold by Santa Rosa Pharmacy who was my best, most loyal client.

Yellowflies hunt via eyesight. That is why they're attracted to dark objects, because they can see them. The females bite to get a blood meal, as they need the protein to reproduce. That really pisses me off - knowing that when I get bit I'm helping to produce more babies! They don't like intense heat and sun so hang out in the shade, under a porch or leaf, only coming out to attack. You're safest in the middle of the day and easier prey in the morning and at dusk. They're usually gone from the area by the first or second week of July. I count the days!

If you do get bit by a yellow fly, apply ammonia directly to the bite site as soon as possible. I always keep a container of ammonia (from Publix, 85 cents) around this time of year. It is the only thing I've tried that completely neutralizes the venom. It really works to stop (yes, stop) the itching and swelling and I have scars from years past so I know how bad it can feel. Reapply every couple of hours and it will give you a sense of control as even if you get bit, you don't have to suffer.

Use rubbing alcohol to neutralize mosquito bites, and underarm deodorant (with aluminum as that is the active ingredient) for no-see-ums.

Hope this helps!

Today when we walked to the beach we got attacked. I started waving my arms like a helicopter. They didn't leave us alone until we got to the top of the beach walkover. Hubby has bites that look like hickeys, I guess because he's on Coumadin. Hope the flies are gone before our daughter's honeymoon! Thanks SeaFern for the advice.