• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Sorry Andy A, I guess my point was lost or I just didn't make it very well. My response was for Dawn. The dude on the beach was to counter her bureaucrat statement. My apologies. I take the district issues very seriously because my wife works in the district. She loves her job and her students, but the pay problem is crazy. The district is more concerned with rewarding custodians than teachers. Why in the world do custodians in Walton County start at almost $14 per hour when Okaloosa starts at $4 less?

I'm all in favor of a search for a qualified superintendent. I support a search based on a specific set of standards. Someone needs to give this district a serious shakeup.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
I want our school south of the bay to be as nice or nicer than the ones north of the bay. I'm hearing that is not the case; and that the lion's share of county revenue comes from tourism.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I want our school south of the bay to be as nice or nicer than the ones north of the bay. I'm hearing that is not the case; and that the lion's share of county revenue comes from tourism.

You are correct in that the lion's share of revenues come from tourism.

However, the South Walton schools are very "nice", and some are "nicer" than some of the North Walton schools. Emerald Coast Middle School is an example - it is also the newest facility, built with all the modern bells and whistles. Hopefully, all Walton County school buildings can be brought up to higher standards. Building some new schools in South Walton will ease some crowding as our end of the county is growing so rapidly.

The referendum to appoint a superintendent will be the first step in getting a team of professionals in place to work with the schools, teachers, parents, and community. The way the superintendent is elected now and the great divide that an elected superintendent position creates between a board and the community will do nothing to move education forward. The current system allows for zero accountability.

Representatives from the Kids Before Politics group are happy to speak to any club, organization, or meeting- just let us know! We need to get the word out, and the vote. At least 5 people have told me they didn't know the superintendent was an elected office here- which really told me that those people had never voted here. Nothing changes unless we ALL get to the polls.

Vote YES on August 26th.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Kids Before Politics campaign is on a roll! Lots of speaking and presentation engagements booked!

Yard signs are in! Let us know if you want one for your home or business. They really "pop" and it is an easy way to bring awareness and support to the "Yes" vote on the referendum.

The Kids Before Politics team will be at the 4th of July celebration in DeFuniak Springs tomorrow. Look for our tent at the lake yard, and bring the kids and grandkids by for patriotic face painting and (temporary) 4th of July tattoos! We will have yard signs available, and look forward to seeing you and discussing why Walton County really needs to hire a superintendent instead of electing one!

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
I hope I'm wrong but I doubt that this effort will pass. The people in Walton County seem to love their politicians, and some of the folks on this very board who are behind this now were defending the superintendent not too long ago.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I hope you're wrong, too. There is nothing as senseless as having both the school board and superintendent elective offices. They almost automatically countermand one another, with neither having the required power to do the most good for the district's students. And guess who ends up suffering...those students.

Vote YES on August 26th.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I hope I'm wrong but I doubt that this effort will pass. The people in Walton County seem to love their politicians, and some of the folks on this very board who are behind this now were defending the superintendent not too long ago.

On which specific issue?

Why are the two mutually exclusive?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
IIRC, the superintendent herself, who is stepping down, recently stated she supported an appointed superintendent over an elected one.

Vote YES on August 26th.