• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
In my experience parents too busy to take an interest in their kids schooling show the same interest level in other aspects of their kids lives. Yes, the kids may get to participate in a lot of activities and attend many camps - because those activities are the equivalent of a babysitter for some parents.

The way I read Punzy's post was that rather than fix the public schools for everyone, people opt for charter schools that just benefit their kids. Good for the kids at the charter school, bad for the rest.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Can somebody prodcue the name of a school board where people seem satisfied with their performance? It seems to me that urban boards are ripe with graft and rural ones are the domain of petty squabbling. I am sure there must be a few good ones out there.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
70% of the mothers work? Maybe the FATHERS could do something then! Takes 2 to make 'em, 'cuz it takes 2 to raise them! :angry:

IMO it is a matter of priorities. Both my parents worked full time and managed to raise 2 kids who got good grades and were involved in a variety of sports and extracurricular activities (so many that I had to edit to only submit one page w/ my college applications).

They obviously weren't available for most activities during the workday (unless we had to come home sick), but they never missed a concert, important game, or parent/teacher conference. They knew my teachers, they knew my classes, they were involved in my schooling, and there were consequences for bad grades that resulted from not turning in homework or paying attention in class.

I went to a public school in a working class neighborhood and I believe I got a comparable or better education than many of my peers in private schools because of the level of parental involvement and discipline.

IMO&E apathetic and absentee parents are the reason kids don't get an education, not economic class, school funding, ethnicity, or sadly natural ability.

Me, too...on all of the above.

I think you're missing my point. Obviously, not everyone is going to be able to be totally committed to holding school boards/principals/teachers accountable. Sadly, many parents...even those with the time...just don't want to get involved for one reason or the other. And some who don't have the time find a way to get involved anyway.

My point was that charter schools limit the scope of the community that the involved minority impacts. You end up eventually with two (if not five or six) community standards of education. Which, in my lib-nut world view, is wrong. I get that most people feel very differently about the role of schools in our community.

And I apologize about the mothers working comment. I applaud stay at home fathers, or fathers that get deeply involved in their childrens' school. I realize that is super common.

Good gosh, an attack of political correctness for saying the community should treat every child the same. Liberals.:roll:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I have mixed feelings about school boards. From what I've seen, school board elections are often the adult equivalent of student council elections, i.e., school popularity contests. But, I do like the idea of people on the school's "front line," so to speak, having a say in how things are done. Tough call.

What bothers me more than the school board issue is what seems a lack of parental and community commitment to our country's public school system. I encounter people every day who seem to assume that private is better just because. I live in a neighborhood where the neighborhood school is literally that; we don't have bus service because our district is mapped in a way that we are all within walking distance of the school. Interestingly, we have a Catholic school also within walking distance of us. I know people who are NOT Catholic who are sending their kids to that school. Why? The public school is excellent, parental involvement is high, and the Catholic school doesn't even have the resources to meet the needs of kids who need things like speech therapy or special education. Susie Buffett, daughter of Warren, started the Sherwood Foundation in Omaha, where she and all the Buffett siblings grew up going to public school. The foundation is committed to public education, human services and social justice. She says, "When I was growing up, my mother worked tirelessly to improve the public schools. My father has always said if there was one new amendment to the Constitution, it should be that every student in the country be required to attend public schools because then they would be good. I grew up with that mentality embedded in my brain." I'm all for having choices and less government involvement in my life in general, but this is food for thought.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Now you guys have me wondering about WaltonGOP running for the School Board. He promised his son to look into changing the food menu at the schools, but he wasn't sure how to tell if food was freezer burned. lol. Just yanking your chain, WGOP.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Punzy, I agree that all students should be given the same chances. However, I don't think that they are all equal and have the ability to learn the same things. I know many highly intelligent kids who slacked their way through the school systems, both private and public, because most school systems don't have the ability to teach above the dumbest kids. Give two kids a Crayon and a piece of paper, and chances are that one will draw and the other will attempt to eat the Crayon. Not all kids are equal, and those who have the ability and desire to learn should be challenged.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Everyone can watch the local school board in action tonight at 5 pm, SWHS Media Center.;-)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Give two kids a Crayon and a piece of paper, and chances are that one will draw and the other will attempt to eat the Crayon. Not all kids are equal, and those who have the ability and desire to learn should be challenged.

I just spit out my coffee! :rofl:

You can still challenge kids in a public school by having gifted & talented programs and splitting up the classes by ability - typically just in math & english, but not until late middle/early high school.

The smaller the class size and the greater the leeway in teaching methods, the easier it is to have varying ability levels in a classroom. This is why IMO all of the attempts at standardization/FCATs are counterproductive.

My teachers would try to have us do as many group projects and activities as possible, as it would not only keep us from getting bored, it allowed the kids w/ different strengths to shine and kept the kids who were fast at reading/tests from getting too cocky. :love:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
SJ, I can't say what the percentage is, but most public schools do have ways of teaching "above the dumbest kids." Our school has a gifted program that provides enrichment activities for even the younger kids. And, like scooter says, the middle school kids are "tracked" in their classes to meet the needs of both the average and above average students. There are also lots of teachers out there who are willing to provide extra or higher-level work when parents request it.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Concerning election/candidate info:

What do you guys think the chances are of being able to organize a local chapter of the League of Women Voters? I know that in places I have lived/voted before, they are the ones who work to get non-partisan information in front of the voters.