• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I would be remiss if I did not post my 2014 SoWal trip report here as I have done for the past 10 years!!! I have been so busy since I got home from vacay that I just haven't had time to do it. I do now. :cool:

As I have slept since I left SoWal some of the details/days might be a little fuzzy. I will do my best though.

The trip down was uneventful. I did stop in B'ham to pick up one of my BFF's that went to the beach with me this year. My sister and son could not go with me due to work. (or so I thought my son couldn't go. More on that later). It was bitter sweet as they have been with me every year for the last 17 years.

We arrived at Emerald Hill Condo's (for our 9th year there) and the weather and water was beautiful. My other BFF who was staying with me as well was already there, as was most of the other members of the "Gang". There were 21 of us this year. I made my usual run to Goatfeather's Seafood to get steamed Shrimp and Tuna dip. This is always the first meal of the trip. Of course, I did have to stop at Publix to pick up beer. That is a given for me. lol. Publix was crowded as usual, but I did my thing and got out without any trouble. Everyone that works there is so very nice. Visited with the gang, ate dinner, drank some beer and turned in early. Wanted to get up to see the sunrise on Sunday morning.

Got down to the beach about 5:00 am on Sunday morning and watched a beautiful sunrise completely alone on the beach. There was not a soul in sight. It was heavenly. Helped get our spots all set up and then went up and went back to Publix for our shopping for the week. Got in and our pretty quick. Got backed to the condo, changed and spent the whole day on the beach. Until, a bad storm started rolling in and I got the heck off the beach. Stayed up at the condo until the storm passed and was getting ready to go back down to the beach when everyone started coming up and over to our condo. I said "what are y'all doing?" I was getting ready to come back down there. When the patio door opened to my condo and out walked my son and his BFF (my son from another mother). They had told me for weeks that they were not going to be able to come with me this year because of work. However, they managed to get their shifts all swapped around and would be able to stay until Thursday. I was so surprised and so happy they were there. They have been with me since the beginning, and it just wasn't the same without them around. They had a great time and I was sad to see them go on Thursday.

Sunday night I ordered take-out pizza from Angelina's. The boys went and picked it up for me. It was wonderful as always.

So let me just get to the highlights of the trip:

The beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Those are always highlights for me. The water, the beach...awesome.

Melody was turning 60 in July and she has always said she wanted a keg on the beach for her 60th birthday. Since this would be the only time we would all be together before her birthday, we made it happen for her. Chan's Wine World in Destin worked out all the details for us to pick up the Keg in Watercolor (thank you skunky for the recommendation). However, they ended up delivering it to us ON THE BEACH! how cool is that? They were amazing and Melody was very surprised. We ended up floating it before we left. It was a pony keg so that was easy with our group. lol. Thank you Skunky and Punzy for the use of the can for the keg. We appreciated it very much!

My sweet Boi's came and visited with me. Matt and Steve thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to come and visit. And bring gifts. Matt had found some Seagrove Villa's and Motel memorabilia on ebay or Amazon (I can't remember) and gave them to me. A t-shirt, a huggy and a coffee mug. I will treasure them always. As, that is the place where my love for Seagrove Beach started. Thank you so much and I love you both to death!

Skunky and Punzy also came by to pay us a visit and it was wonderful to see them as well. Just wish I could have spent more time with them. You are both precious and I am so glad that we are friends. xoxo.

Jdarg, Bdarg, and Will came by to see me Friday night. I love them. A lot. Missed princess kate. It was such a wonderful visit as it always is. I wish we could have had our beach time, but I know you were all busy. We will get it in next time. xoxo.

Meal highlights: All the food that the gang cooks. Always wonderful. Seagrove Village Market, my favorite. Never fails. It was awesome as usual. Goatfeather's Steamed Shrimp and Tuna dip. Wonderful. And as I mentioned Angelina's pizza. So yummy.

Some not so good things: My car getting broken into (ok, I stupidly left my doors unlocked as I got distracted from taking groceries in). Luckily I had nothing of real value in it. They got about $4.00 worth of change. Our condo neighbors were not so lucky. There car was broken into as well, and the thieves got a gun from a locked glove box and locked gun box. I sure hated to hear that. I know it happens. But, in all the years we have been going to Seagrove Beach nothing has ever been stolen from us. I will however never leave my car unlocked again.

It stormed some, but that gave me a reason to nap. Which I never do at the beach. Well, unless I have had a few and I manage to doze off in my beach chair. :).

I wish I could have seen more of my SoWal peeps, but it is hard to fit everything in in a week. For the first time since I have been coming down there, I never once made it past the stop sign at 395. I usually always make a trip to Grayton beach and The Red Bar, but it was crazy crowded down there this year (yes, it has been discovered) and I just couldn't bring myself to fight the traffic and the crowds. Hopefully I will get back down there sometime in the fall and give it a shot.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. I sure hate to leave every year. But, I know I will be back.

Kurt, if I haven't told you lately (which I haven't, sorry) thank you for this board. Thank you for all these wonderful years of friendships being made. I have met some of the best peeps there are around because of this board. Much love to you and all those that made/make it happen. :love:

Until the next time SoWal, you will be in my heart! :chill:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks to you - great report!

I'll put these under your name for 2014 YSS:

You're So SoWal if you have posted a trip report on the SoWal Forum.

You're So SoWal if you leave your guns back home!

You're so SoWal if a beach rainstorm gives you an excuse for a much-needed nap.

You're So SoWal if you don't make it to the Red Bar on your South Walton vacation.

You're So SoWal if you got ripped off and all the bastard got was 4 bucks in change.

You're So SoWal if all you can do when you return home from vacation is sleep for days.

You're So SoWal if your first meal is always Goatfeather's steamed shrimp and tuna dip.

You're So SoWal if the keg you had delivered on the beach floats before you do.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
You're So SoWal if you find a way to get 'down there' more than once a year:)
We're returning...
Ellen

We go about 20 times a year (used to be more, but the weather has not been cooperative in the past year -- rainy last summer, very cold this winter).

Kathy, sorry I didn't get there the week you were there. I had several meetings that week. Missed seeing y'all on the hill.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I would be remiss if I did not post my 2014 SoWal trip report here as I have done for the past 10 years!!! I have been so busy since I got home from vacay that I just haven't had time to do it. I do now. :cool:

As I have slept since I left SoWal some of the details/days might be a little fuzzy. I will do my best though.

The trip down was uneventful. I did stop in B'ham to pick up one of my BFF's that went to the beach with me this year. My sister and son could not go with me due to work. (or so I thought my son couldn't go. More on that later). It was bitter sweet as they have been with me every year for the last 17 years.

We arrived at Emerald Hill Condo's (for our 9th year there) and the weather and water was beautiful. My other BFF who was staying with me as well was already there, as was most of the other members of the "Gang". There were 21 of us this year. I made my usual run to Goatfeather's Seafood to get steamed Shrimp and Tuna dip. This is always the first meal of the trip. Of course, I did have to stop at Publix to pick up beer. That is a given for me. lol. Publix was crowded as usual, but I did my thing and got out without any trouble. Everyone that works there is so very nice. Visited with the gang, ate dinner, drank some beer and turned in early. Wanted to get up to see the sunrise on Sunday morning.

Got down to the beach about 5:00 am on Sunday morning and watched a beautiful sunrise completely alone on the beach. There was not a soul in sight. It was heavenly. Helped get our spots all set up and then went up and went back to Publix for our shopping for the week. Got in and our pretty quick. Got backed to the condo, changed and spent the whole day on the beach. Until, a bad storm started rolling in and I got the heck off the beach. Stayed up at the condo until the storm passed and was getting ready to go back down to the beach when everyone started coming up and over to our condo. I said "what are y'all doing?" I was getting ready to come back down there. When the patio door opened to my condo and out walked my son and his BFF (my son from another mother). They had told me for weeks that they were not going to be able to come with me this year because of work. However, they managed to get their shifts all swapped around and would be able to stay until Thursday. I was so surprised and so happy they were there. They have been with me since the beginning, and it just wasn't the same without them around. They had a great time and I was sad to see them go on Thursday.

Sunday night I ordered take-out pizza from Angelina's. The boys went and picked it up for me. It was wonderful as always.

So let me just get to the highlights of the trip:

The beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Those are always highlights for me. The water, the beach...awesome.

Melody was turning 60 in July and she has always said she wanted a keg on the beach for her 60th birthday. Since this would be the only time we would all be together before her birthday, we made it happen for her. Chan's Wine World in Destin worked out all the details for us to pick up the Keg in Watercolor (thank you skunky for the recommendation). However, they ended up delivering it to us ON THE BEACH! how cool is that? They were amazing and Melody was very surprised. We ended up floating it before we left. It was a pony keg so that was easy with our group. lol. Thank you Skunky and Punzy for the use of the can for the keg. We appreciated it very much!

My sweet Boi's came and visited with me. Matt and Steve thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to come and visit. And bring gifts. Matt had found some Seagrove Villa's and Motel memorabilia on ebay or Amazon (I can't remember) and gave them to me. A t-shirt, a huggy and a coffee mug. I will treasure them always. As, that is the place where my love for Seagrove Beach started. Thank you so much and I love you both to death!

Skunky and Punzy also came by to pay us a visit and it was wonderful to see them as well. Just wish I could have spent more time with them. You are both precious and I am so glad that we are friends. xoxo.

Jdarg, Bdarg, and Will came by to see me Friday night. I love them. A lot. Missed princess kate. It was such a wonderful visit as it always is. I wish we could have had our beach time, but I know you were all busy. We will get it in next time. xoxo.

Meal highlights: All the food that the gang cooks. Always wonderful. Seagrove Village Market, my favorite. Never fails. It was awesome as usual. Goatfeather's Steamed Shrimp and Tuna dip. Wonderful. And as I mentioned Angelina's pizza. So yummy.

Some not so good things: My car getting broken into (ok, I stupidly left my doors unlocked as I got distracted from taking groceries in). Luckily I had nothing of real value in it. They got about $4.00 worth of change. Our condo neighbors were not so lucky. There car was broken into as well, and the thieves got a gun from a locked glove box and locked gun box. I sure hated to hear that. I know it happens. But, in all the years we have been going to Seagrove Beach nothing has ever been stolen from us. I will however never leave my car unlocked again.

It stormed some, but that gave me a reason to nap. Which I never do at the beach. Well, unless I have had a few and I manage to doze off in my beach chair. :).

I wish I could have seen more of my SoWal peeps, but it is hard to fit everything in in a week. For the first time since I have been coming down there, I never once made it past the stop sign at 395. I usually always make a trip to Grayton beach and The Red Bar, but it was crazy crowded down there this year (yes, it has been discovered) and I just couldn't bring myself to fight the traffic and the crowds. Hopefully I will get back down there sometime in the fall and give it a shot.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. I sure hate to leave every year. But, I know I will be back.

Kurt, if I haven't told you lately (which I haven't, sorry) thank you for this board. Thank you for all these wonderful years of friendships being made. I have met some of the best peeps there are around because of this board. Much love to you and all those that made/make it happen. :love:

Until the next time SoWal, you will be in my heart! :chill:

Great report. Maybe you will make it down in the fall again when the coast is clear, so to speak:wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thank you so much Darlene! Really enjoyed reading up on your trip to SoWal. We were visiting Huntsville (Space Camp) and Franklin, TN during that time. I was keeping up with your daily fb posts.

So glad you enjoyed the week. Come on back and soon!!!!!!!

:sowal::nice:

we need a ROLL TIDE smilie.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Great report. Sorry I'm just now reading.
I would have posted a report of my July trip if I could have remembered it!!
JK.
It was great. Rain & all!