Seaside Commercial District: Updates Summer 2020

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Teresa, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

If they hadn't shut down when they did in the frenzied thick of spring break a lot more people would have died. People congregate there no matter where they stay in SoWal. A hard choice to close but very necessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. E5150

E5150 Beach Lover

Ridiculous.

3. Sun Chaser

Sun Chaser Beach Lover

They can stay closed forever. It’s become a crowded, overpriced tourist trap.

4. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

5/29/20 open

5. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

May 8, 2020

Seaside, Fla. – The Seaside Commercial District will begin our phased reopening on May 29 while continuing to make health and safety our priority. The ‘Seaside Experience’ will look and feel different this summer. In the first phase of our gradual reopening we will close Central Square to automobiles. This will help set the stage for ‘Seaside Al Fresco.’ With reduced traffic and crowds – strolling, shopping and dining will be even more attractive. Tents will line Central Square establishing an open-air market and the ability to queue guests into retail stores with limited capacities.

Enhanced safety measures will be in place, including the request for patrons and staff to wear face coverings when entering retail stores or when in close proximity to others. Handwashing and sanitizing stations will be placed throughout town, along with many signals to stay distanced from one another. Additional training among our staff will include increased cleaning procedures and instructions, limiting contact with guests.

Only a few of our restaurants offer indoor seating. This is an advantage, as the ‘Seaside Experience’ has always included outdoor dining. To prevent long wait lines, we will ask our guests to use online ordering methods from our ‘grab and go’ food & beverage merchants. Technology will free folks from lines, and hopefully establish a new pedestrian flow throughout town.

Additional protocols and procedures will be announced closer to the opening date. Please check Seasidefl.com as we get closer to May 29 for the most current information. We will remain vigilant, keeping a close eye on COVID-19 cases in Walton County and all of our feeder markets, safeguarding our reopening. Our merchants look forward to welcoming you back to Seaside.

Kerri Parker

Executive Director of Communications

(850) 714-3166 | kparker@seasidefl.com

*If you have questions about vacation rentals, please contact your rental vacation property management company directly.

6. E5150

E5150 Beach Lover

The business owners there have to be enraged. The ones that are even going to be left, that is. Many are going to be killed off by this. I feel badly for them.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

I believe this particular issue has caused you to become unhinged. Perhaps after the 29th you can begin making a recovery. Best of luck to you sir.

8. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

There are people in the world who are extremely selfish. They care nothing about others, only about themselves. They are easy to spot these days. They support reopening fully and wouldn't wear a mask if their life depended on it. Too dumb too understand it does.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Hi, I was very upset about people not wearing masks, but I'm trying to assume that some are those that have asthma & other breathing problems that the masks are almost impossible for them to wear. Also, there are folks who suffered abuse who feel like they are suffocating & reliving terrible episode in their lives. (Read this in our home newspaper or tv news, so that was something for me to learn and appreciate.) If these people are social distancing then I remain calm. I understand. It's because of those who refuse to wear mask AND refuse to social distance that the rest of us will continue to restrict our public appearances. Food to go. Early morning shopping. Exercising. We continue to be a very divided country. First 45 and reaction to and now the virus and reaction to. Challenging times. Ellen

10. E5150

E5150 Beach Lover

Easy to see you've never made a payroll, "Karen". Hide and wait to die. Most of us are getting back to living.

11. Poppaj

Poppaj SoWal Insider

How is following guidelines by wearing a mask and social distancing hiding and waiting to die?

12. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

We're entering a brand new normal here and all around the world.

13. mrs.rocket

mrs.rocket Beach Lover

Granted it’s been about ten or twelve years since I was last super active on this site, but I don’t recall members being so vitriolic with each other and all the name calling in threads. Is this a new thing?

14. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

A lot has changed in the world in the last decade. Plus People under stress. Newbies who don't understand netiquette or that this site is nicer than Facebook. Trump fans.

15. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Its sad but its is also the way alot of people now living in the area are. They brought their rudeness and disregard for others with them.

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

It's overpopulation. Period. On the Earth and in SoWal. My beliefs about God fluxuate like the tide, but there is a theory, however far-fetched, that the Whole Earth is a being, and if this being was feeling so severely threatened by a "virus" who goes by the name of "human beings", that Whole Earth being ( I believe they call it Gaia, or something like that) would produce an anti-body that would look and act a whole lot like Covid-19. It kills a lot of people, and it stops mass pollution in dramatic ways. Maybe it's the Whole Earth telling us something.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  17. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

The typical child navigates the world better than you do.

18. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Kind of normal for an election year but a pandemic on top of it has been very challenging for some to engage in a thoughtful way. I think most of us want to be kind though. We are all in this together.

19. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Seaside town center beach access will NOT open until May 29.

200320-seaside-004-sowal-2000.jpg

20. Hagendog

Hagendog Beach Comber

First post in a long time (been so long i couldn't recover my username\password). No problem. Not sure this info goes here, but i thought i would share it and see if anyone has ran across this.

Friends of friends rented a place in the commercial district of Seaside starting this weekend. One of those condos above the retail stores as i am told. They found out that they can't get their armband beach passes until next Friday when the commercial district actually re-opens. Supposedly the family has called up the chain to the Town Council and still can't get satisfaction.

Anyone heard anything like this or am i possibly hearing the story wrong (third hand at least)? I may be hearing things completely wrong, but this is what i know.

BTW, love the 30A area and have been coming since 2002 every year. Spent many years in Seaside and have moved on to other areas along 30A to explore. I frequent this site often for info and to get a re-fresher of the beautiful area some of y'all call home. Or second home.