• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Landlocked said:
Yeah, kind of like the painted mahogany trim I saw. WTH?

There are plenty of painted Mahogany doors in WaterColor. :bang: Can't they use other wood? It just kills me to see beautiful wood being painted. Talk about a waste of money. Give me a screen door made of Pine with a big spring to slam it closed, like the good 'ole days.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Smiling JOe said:
There are plenty of painted Mahogany doors in WaterColor. :bang: Can't they use other wood? It just kills me to see beautiful wood being painted. Talk about a waste of money. Give me a screen door made of Pine with a big spring to slam it closed, like the good 'ole days.

I'll never understand it. Never.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
>>From what I've seen the builders (of all kinds) have a license to steal down there. There is such a demand for any contracting services. I know people who have bought condos and get bids for very simple renovations (Carpet, wood floors, paint, cabinets, etc...) The prices are 3 times higher and the contractors tell them "hey take it or leave it. I've got other jobs I need to get to"<<

Isn't capitalism great?? :clap_1: It's the price one pays when entire communites are built to cater to the affulent by pricing working class folks out of the area. Simply add it to the tab of the "Price of Living in Paradise," so relax and don't fight it--just sit back, order a $6 iced latte and don't sweat the small stuff.

SHELLY said:
Isn't capitalism great?? :clap_1: It's the price one pays when entire communites are built to cater to the affulent by pricing working class folks out of the area. Simply add it to the tab of the "Price of Living in Paradise," so relax and don't fight it--just sit back, order a $6 iced latte and don't sweat the small stuff.

You do have to pay to play :cool:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
RiverOtter said:
You do have to pay to play :cool:

Not if you have my number after the first of the year...

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
RiverOtter said:
:blink: Hey! No fair! You're living my dream :D

Well, its all good now, but you may see a different me afterward. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

From some of the dudes I see building homes and doing contract work, I can do it if they can.

Smiling JOe said:
Most of the wood in our house in GA is mahogany and custom made in NOLA. Our NOLA architect would have it no other way. Most of it we painted, but some of it we left natural because the grain is so pretty. He claimed that it would last longer. All of the thresholds on our doorways are mahogany, but some of them are starting to deteriorate. The wood is beautiful, but I'm not sure that anyone else would value it as much as we do, i.e., we might never get our money out of it. We have some mahogany shutters at the beach - they don't last as long in FL as they do in GA.