• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Seaside Security & WCSO shut down the music

New posts
I am the 57 year old "elderly" woman at Great Southern Cafe Friday evening who witnessed Seaside Security advise the restaurant owner to stop the music or he would shut down the restaurant. This was not the first time I had witnessed this scene with SS security and SO. I spoke up because I knew the security officer was attempting to improperly enforce the SW sound oridinance. My job required that I become familiar with the sound ordinance that passed a fews years back, and I met with Code Enforcement at that time, to ensure our business would not viloate the ordinance. The code is very specific and it was not being violated. SS security was trying to placate a homeowner who was either misinformed or did not care what the ordinance states. To be honest, I was a little disappointed that after I explained this to Great Southern owner and security, and SO did not press the issue that the owner chose to stop the music anyway.
 
. The owner of the Great Southern folded and would not press the point, and caved in to whatever the red shirt , said , even though the deputies, did not demand the music stop. I guess my question is this what is wrong with live music and why does it take an eldery lady to go to bat for her right to enjoy herself and listen to live music, when the very nervous owner, made the music stop.
To Answer your question posed above. This whole music ordinance thing has been handled very poorly but South Walton's finest. The owner erred on the side of caution wishing not to spend the night in jail. NOT to say that he was threatened,
but as I said these things have went south really quick when so wal po po are involved. So unfortunately the music did stop and the guest of Great Southern missed out on the rest of the music.
Unfortunate but true we live in fear of the cops??????
 
Aleo, can you include some coverage of dog owners who let their dogs bark all night without restriction? why are they not cited and have warrants issued for them?

How 'bout those Harleys with the straight pipes? This whole issue of noise is a great example of selective enforcement
 
dogs bark all night
Harleys with the straight pipes
boom boxes on four wheels
my alarm clock goes off
hearing live music
I am stunned by the Noise Nazi's that have invaded this area. Granted some of the above lines are from people just as annoyed as I am about the silencing of just about everything but where do we finally draw the line? What about those hundreds of blackbirds that have invaded my yard in the last few weeks, and all those noisy cicadas every summer? Lets not forget when our very wealthy and noisy neighbor to the north (EglinAFB) who decides to blast us every so often with tonnage of ordinance? I would like to see how many of the people making these complaints even LIVE here or for HOW LONG? And since when do we all have to roll over and play dead for ONE unreasonable person that is bothered by a bit of music?
voice.gif
 
Last edited:
Noise is part of living in a community - how I would love for these crabby complainers to hear some REAL noise.

I for one would like to see the communities and owners take a stand - especially in Seaside where complaints are shutting down performances at long established businesses in the COMMERCIAL district!
 
I'd like to complain about the trucks that pass by my place every morning. They make my dog bark. :roll: Oh, and the freakin' motorcycles that stop and start at the four way stop. And the leaf blowers. If only I had some music to drown out these noises. :biggrin:
 
Aleo, can you include some coverage of dog owners who let their dogs bark all night without restriction? why are they not cited and have warrants issued for them?

Hey John,

Covered the dog issue for you when I did the code enforcement article a while back...:wave:.but you can always contact code enforcement and have them come out. From what I am getting right now is that the issue with the clubs is being looked at as a breach of the peace, not a code violation. :idontno:

I am still waiting on a response from the gentleman I left a message for at the WCSO, so, I am still trying to sort this out and the difference between the two, but will have the article out next week

I can tell you that code enforcement told me that on the third noise violation it is considered a misdemeanor.
 
Well, I just cannot keep quiet (no pun intended) any longer. Some of you are being irrational, IMHO. Why bring blackbirds and cicadas into it? The noise ordinance addresses human- created noises. It is just silly to bring insects and birds and free speech into the discussion.
As it happens, I sat through quite a few of the hearings to craft and adopt a noise ordinance, and I heard some awful stories about all-night long construction noise keeping kids awake and other outrageous violations of the peace that I think none of you would want to put up with night after night. These are the kinds of things the noise ordinance was designed to deal with, and if people had been respectful of their neighbors, we would not have needed an ordinance in the first place. It seems to have been established here that the complaint was not a violation of the ordinance, and so the problem lies with the SO and the county for their failure to follow the provisions of what is actually a quite reasonable ordinance. If the SO had brought a meter, or if code enforcement had been available, it could have been quickly established that there was no violation and that would have been the end of the story. Your outrage is misdirected. It ought to be aimed at local government, who created this situation not by enforcing the noise ordinance, but by failing to enforce it. And perhaps also at Bob Hudson, or whoever it was, that ran off the Jazz Festival. I seriously doubt that was a violation, either. I do believe there was some other dynamic at work regarding the Jazz Festival, and that is exactly why a meter and a copy of the ordinance would be very handy. It would put an end to these bogus complaints that are really maybe about other people enjoying themselves a bit too much, and it would deal with real nuisances in an equitable manner.
Aleonard, I hope you can sort through the usual shuffle you being given. When local government wants to enforce or not enforce something in a manner of their own choosing, this is the exactly the sort of dance they do.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top