• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
P9170001sm.jpg

What part about "Private Access for Seaside Owners and Guests" signs, indicate that access is available to the public?

I?m not sure of the name of each walkover in Seaside. However; if you walk out of the wine bar on Central Square and walk south across 30-A, you?ll come to a beach walkover. That walkover is owned by Seaside Community Development Corporation ? unless the tax records aren?t up to date. A large section of beach, both to the left and to the right of that walkover, is also owned by Seaside Community Development Corporation.

There has never been a ?Private? sign posted on that walkover. I think it?s the only walkover in Seaside that has never been posted. Even though this isn?t a designated ?public? access point, I believe that Seaside Community Development Corporation allows the public to use this walkover and this section of the beach. In fact; anyone entering the beach from this walkover wouldn?t know they were on a private beach, until they reached the east or west end of Seaside and looked back over their shoulder at one of the large signs posted there.

I think there are a few Seaside home owners who convinced their homeowners? association to post the large signs on the beach at each end of Seaside. It would be interesting to see which entity would file charges against someone accused of trespassing on ?Seaside?s? beach. I?d be shocked if Seaside Community Development Corporation did that. I can understand why a judge would require an exact survey showing the precise location of an accused.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I can understand why the Seaside owners want to keep the public off their private beach.....afterall they paid the entire cost of clean-up and reconstruction after the hurricanes--fair is fair.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I can understand why the Seaside owners want to keep the public off their private beach.....afterall they paid the entire cost of clean-up and reconstruction after the hurricanes--fair is fair.

:blink:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

:doh:

Oops, forgot......

...../sarcasm off

:D

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Do they still have those feral cat populations down there? I would think that they would have already decimated the beach mouse population.

I think there are still some cats at Seaside. However, WaterColor is required to monitor and remove cats. No free roaming cats allowed in WaterColor. That is part of their "take" permit, the other part being the dune preservation and the mouse program at WaterSound. St Joe moved some beach mice from Topsail to WaterSound. No cats allowed in WaterSound, either.
Last I heard, the mice at WaterSound were doing well. I'm not sure if there are actually any mice at WaterColor or not these days. :dunno: Or at Grayton, for that matter. I know they used to be there.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Are you referring to the obelisk beach access, which is beside Cafe Spiazza? I am pretty sure there is a private sign posted there. I know there is a private sign behind the Rolly Polly.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Are you referring to the obelisk beach access, which is beside Cafe Spiazza? I am pretty sure there is a private sign posted there. I know there is a private sign behind the Rolly Polly.

So, if I go to Roly Poly and buy lunch as I did today...and I want to take it on the beach to eat it; I could get arrested for trespassing......:yikes:

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida

I know there's a sign behind Rolly Polly, but I haven't seen one at the access point beside Cafe Spiazza (ever).