• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
I also really want to like this place, but I just can't seem to get into it.

The service I've received has never been great, but I haven't been in a few months, so things may've changed. The food I've had has been good, but not worth the money.

I'll have to give it another shot.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wierd bunch of reviews on this place. How can some say it is SO good, and others say it is SO bad. Surely it's not THAT inconsistent. :dunno:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I've been to Shades by the Loop quite a few times since it opened because I, too, am interested in trying out and supporting restaurants on the east end of 30A, close to us. I think their oyster po'boys are among the best I've had (along with those at Hurricanes and Village Market -- also very good). In general, I've liked their food. At least in the past, their service has been slow and I agree that some of the staff seemed somewhat uppity rather than in a "can I serve you well and quickly" mood, but that may have changed and I'll definitely go there in August with the family (maybe 7 people) to try out that creme brulee! The only other advice I'd offer if the owner is reading this is to be sure the waiters have little aprons with pockets for their order/check books - some of them store them in the back of their pants and that's a bit odd (they take your order and then stick the order book down their belt/pants on their backside -- something doesn't seem right about that). We laugh about that when we are there (maybe that's not happening now). I go there by myself sometime for an oyster po'boy and to use the wireless internet for lunch.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
JB said:
Wierd bunch of reviews on this place. How can some say it is SO good, and others say it is SO bad. Surely it's not THAT inconsistent. :dunno:

Sometimes I think the restaurant suffers from trying to be all things to all people. Specifically:

-The decor and layout are stylish, but neither cozy nor elegant. People like to be able to pigeonhole a place. You know, Seagrove Market=funky, Cafe 30A=casual elegance, Borago=loud and happy, etc.
-The menu isn't exactly "beach seafood place" nor is it "fine dining". Again, inability to pigeonhole.
-The bar has a bit of "sports bar" with the big screens on ESPN.

I think there actually HAS been some inconsistency in the food and service in the past. I'm glad to hear from Cork's review that Joe is working on it. My own recent personal experience suggests the food is better. Hoping the service will improve too...

Having said that all, it's one of my regular places. There are good dependable items on the menu (I agree they do fried oysters well and find their grilled grouper second to only Seagrove Market). The service at the bar is good. I'm happy they are there.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
TreeFrog said:
My own recent personal experience suggests the food is better.
I can agree with that. The last time I was there, the food had greatly improved from what it had been.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
JB said:

well, it seems that this is one restaurant that has been very inconsistent. Before this thread, I had never heard anyone say they could recommend Shades... I sincerely hope this is changing through good management and consistently good service and food.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I agree with others on this board that many of us are becoming "regulars" waiting for the kinks to be worked out because the location, quality of food, etc., show great promise (in my opinion). And it sounds like the owner is working on the kinks and isn't taking anything for granted (and that's a good thing). I wish Shades great success. And, again, I'm looking forward to an oyster po'boy and now creme brulee, too. I definitely could make this a routine stop on my way from Panama City airport to 30A if it's mealtime...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
In the summer there are enough visitors that a place can survive, if not thrive, with bad food and service. Hopefully better communications and new methods such as this forum will make them improve or suffer.

The locals know where to go and they help the good ones in the offseason pay the bills.

Cork mentioned wings (and creme brulee what a combo :D ), as a wing addict I say MoJo's in Sandestin were the best and the ones I had at the new Shade's didn't measure up. They were a bit better at the old locale.

BTW - MoJo's is now closed and another wing joint took over 1/2 the space. i Haven't tried them yet. MoJo's didn't have a clue how to get people through the door and it's too bad cause they had good product and should have been packed all the time but then they never asked me. :lol:

Fried chicken and good sauce is not brain surgery. :bang:

We've been to the new Shades every month this year except June (daughter was with us, and she'd rather cook). The food had greatly improved on our last visit. The grouper in the grouper sandwich was large and well-cooked just like the old Shades (as opposed to small and overcooked as in previous visits). I enjoyed the house salad with grilled fish and their signature sweet pepper vinaigrette.

If you're a fan of the old Shades, in my opinion you can only enjoy the new Shades if you just wipe those memories out of your head. The atmosphere is very cold, and it's very noisy. The waiters run around in a frenzy. Not like the funky, laid-back atmosphere of the old Shades.

We will be back, especially when we drive down for short stays in the off-season and don't want to take the time to grocery shop, cook, and do dishes. We also enjoy the sports bar atmosphere at Shades in the off-season because it allows us to dine while watching college football and college basketball which we're very into.
gatorSmiley.gif

Suncat

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2005
Tennessee
Beach Runner said:
We've been to the new Shades every month this year except June (daughter was with us, and she'd rather cook). The food had greatly improved on our last visit. The grouper in the grouper sandwich was large and well-cooked just like the old Shades (as opposed to small and overcooked as in previous visits). I enjoyed the house salad with grilled fish and their signature sweet pepper vinaigrette.

If you're a fan of the old Shades, in my opinion you can only enjoy the new Shades if you just wipe those memories out of your head. The atmosphere is very cold, and it's very noisy. The waiters run around in a frenzy. Not like the funky, laid-back atmosphere of the old Shades.

We will be back, especially when we drive down for short stays in the off-season and don't want to take the time to grocery shop, cook, and do dishes. We also enjoy the sports bar atmosphere at Shades in the off-season because it allows us to dine while watching college football and college basketball which we're very into.
gatorSmiley.gif

As fans of the old Shades, we will be trying out the new one for the first time this week. I'm glad to hear that the sweet pepper vinagarette is still available, although I think you said previously that the squeeze bottles of it are no longer on the table-- :sosad:

We're also anxious to see how the wings compare, along with our other favorites. Sorry to hear that the atmosphere is not as laid back and we also hate to have to drive there now instead of walk or bike. Appreciate all the comments and reviews.