• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike AdkinsonJr

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2008
I have been asked to clarify two other issues. Tax Money is used to pay for every sheriff's membership in FSA. In Walton County that amount is about 3,100. That money provides legal service as well as access to the Florida Sheriff?s Self -Insurance Fund for car insurance and liability insurance. To give you an example I have been sued about 11 times in the first year of office. Many of those revolve around car wrecks and employee issues. Sheriffs are typically listed personally in those lawsuits. As an example, I inherited several lawsuits from my predecessor. The Sheriff can be sued separately from the county. The FSA started the self ?insurance fund after several sheriffs lost their personal property in lawsuits. Additionally sheriff?s are commonly sued due to the conduct of their deputies.

Thanks for your question,

Mike Adkinson

Walton Co Sheriff

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I have been asked to clarify two other issues. Tax Money is used to pay for every sheriff's membership in FSA. In Walton County that amount is about 3,100. That money provides legal service as well as access to the Florida Sheriff?s Self -Insurance Fund for car insurance and liability insurance. To give you an example I have been sued about 11 times in the first year of office. Many of those revolve around car wrecks and employee issues. Sheriffs are typically listed personally in those lawsuits. As an example, I inherited several lawsuits from my predecessor. The Sheriff can be sued separately from the county. The FSA started the self ?insurance fund after several sheriffs lost their personal property in lawsuits. Additionally sheriff?s are commonly sued due to the conduct of their deputies.

Thanks for your question,

Mike Adkinson

Walton Co Sheriff
This is a perfect example of why our legal system is in shambles. While I am sure occasionally a suit may be justified, I feel just as sure many are totally without merit and should never see the light of a courtroom or hearing procedure. It is only one common man's opinion, but until judges acquire some backbone and start throwing out frivilous lawsuits, we will continue to get the type of response so prevalent in today's courts. Compromise where there is none in order to attain a quick, and in many cases unjustified settlement. The argument that these cases clog and slow our justice system is probably true but the method used to prevent this is, in many cases undesireable and unjust.
Sheriff Atkinson has a tough job. All I have seen so far from him indicates we elected the right man for the job. The $3,100 dollars spent for FSA dues is money well spent, IMHO. Thank you, Sheriff Atkinson, for your efforts, diligence and obvious results.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Thank you for your inquiry about the NWF Daily News articl on the Sheriff?s conference. The Florida Sheriff?s Association (FSA) is not a tax funded entity it is funded by the individual sheriff?s off the state of Florida and private donors The same is true of the Florida Sheriff?s Youth Ranches. The conference is NOT FUNDED with taxpayer money It does however bring ten?s of thousands of dollars to our local businesses. Let us be frank, the embarrassment to our area caused by Charlie Morris is staggering. The FSA believed that by coming directly back to our area that it would demonstrate that it had faith in our community and provided us with a chance to spotlight Walton Co. This is the first time we have hosted the conference since the late 90?s. As a point of interest the training provided by the FSA is eligible for taxpayer funding, the FSA elects to pay for it as a service to the sheriff?s and the taxpayers. The training this year was excellent with Dr Kevin Gillmartin providing valuable insight. Numerous law enforcement officials from various agencies attended both days of the training.

So specifically, why bar a reporter from coming in? It was a private meeting that allows the sheriffs to speak freely in their discussion and criticisms of both policies and practices. We set forth association goals and agendas. There were extensive discussion on open cases from around the state (many of which you would be familiar with). In addition, quite a bit of discussion about closed cases and how they were handled. I am glad that the FSA chooses not to allow anyone in the room for these discussions, as I believe that the ability to speak freely to our peers and yes to even be critical of each other is important to making us more effective.

Sheriff?s do not appropriate his or her own budget and are therefore not barred from meeting in private. So much was gained from this conference professionally and by the private business of this county that it is a shame that all that is being discussed is one criminal. You would be hard pressed to find a public official more aware of the requirements of Florida statute 119 (governing public records). Personally, I would have let the reporter in to listen to the Governor; however, it was not my decision to make.

Thank you, Sheriff! You are making a big difference with your openess to the public and explaining away our misconceptions. It appears the press didn't get their way, so they published a misleading story...That bothers me, as I am sure it bothers you. Again, thank you, you get an A+..

TechPyle

Beach Lover
May 10, 2009
Way over the rainbow
Thank you Sheriff.
Your response here to questions while dealing with the inclement weather, sending out notifications on the weather, and implimenting the transition of the E.O.C. to your building while dealing with normal issues is very impressive.
Your openiness and ability to deal with problems is great.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Seems to be some contridiction with what is in the Daily News Editorial by Pat Rice and and what the Sheriff is saying. First is the FSA taxpayer funded or is it not? "The Florida Sheriff’s Association (FSA) is not a tax funded entity it is funded by the individual sheriff’s off the state of Florida and private donors " "Tax Money is used to pay for every sheriff's membership in FSA" Both of these are quotes are from the post by the Sheriff. Then when asked a direct question by Pat Rice his only quote reported was " I understand part of your heartburn with issue". Although I don't really have a big issue with them, FSA, having close door meetings in certain instances as are noted above, but it does sound as though this one may be out of line. If the Governor is here, I am sure he has his own agenda and keeping the public out should not be one of them. For the record I did not vote for Gov Crist and will not vote for him for Senate. For the record, I did not vote for the Sheriff although I do feel he has done a pretty good job and barring any major screw ups, will get my vote the next time. Here is the link to the editorial, http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/sheriffs-25779-open-law.html

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
As awkward as the phrasing is, it's common for a lot of employers, both public and private, to pay for employee memberships in private/non-profit professional or professional development organizations. It's not that much different than a university paying for Modern Language Association memberships for their English faculty members.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The Florida Association of Court Clerks, the Florida Tax Collectors and the Florida Sheriff's Association have conferences every year or even twice a year, and over the last three (at least) years they have all met at the Sandestin Hilton, some repeatedly.

Has the media ever even shown an slight interest in all the elected Clerks of Court or the elected Tax Collectors all meeting in one place, behind closed doors, listening to and talking with a variety of speakers from state government, much less trying to get in, in order to badger a speaker? So what's the difference?

Much ado about nothing. Move along.

I just want to know where I can sign up for their insurance. 3000 for a fleet of cars is pretty good.

Who's kidding who though, every one of those sheriffs that attended stayed in rooms paid for by the taxpayers and drove there in vehicles paid for by the taxpayers. The only reason the local sheriffs did not spend taxpayer money for rooms is because they were close enough to drive home every day. They will catch up at the next conference down south.

I don't care if they have closed meetings but they should tell the whole truth about it.

Hope they had a class in how to avoid the Hatch Act for Larry Ashley to attend.:funn::funn::funn::funn: