• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

10SRaRa

Beach Crab
Jun 27, 2010
Hey folks! a fellow Oklahoman here..... We have been coming to the beautiful beaches of South Walton for over 20 years. i am sickened by the oil spill and the impact that is it having on the Gulf. My heart and prayers are with every person impacted by this horrific act of greed.

My second thought is.. should we still come on down ? I want to support the economy of So Wal as we have done several times a year for years..... However, I have mixed emotions due to the health risks that may be involved. I think my biggest fear is what may happen to people years from now from the exposure. I might add that the BP had the intelligence that could build this giant well, but they had no idea how to stop it in the event of an incident such as this... so why would we think that they would be correct about the toxins etc....?

I see the videos.... pics.. etc... how do we really know what the impact will be health wise?
:dunno:

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
My advice is to read all you have time to, of the most recent postings here on SoWal regarding the spill, and make the best decision you can be comfortable with. I imagine you realize that no one yet knows the answers to the big, hard questions you pose.

I'll tell you, though, if you'd been out at the beach or on Western Lake where we were here today, I promise you'd've been glad you came.

Last edited:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I am here right now. I can tell you that it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have been in the gulf now for 2 days. It looks no different than it ever did. I have read the posts and fears about the dangers of the toxins or whatever might be in the water. It has not stopped us. Perhaps we might have deal with it later in life, but so be it. If I were you, I would come and have a wonderful time!

Our daughter honeymooned there last week, and then they invited us to join them for the last couple of days. It was beautiful. We all had a blast.

We walked on the beach, but it was so hot that we spent our outdoor time in our private pool so we would be close to the drinks in the downstairs mini-kitchen, the AC, and a bathroom. :wave:

To answer your question, come on down! We're going back this weekend and staying at my sister's house (she doesn't rent).

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think that there are any health risks unless you are in the affected water, so my advice would be to come down and have a wonderful vacation!

nolaAB

Beach Comber
May 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
We are on our way for the wekend of the 4th, no matter what we want to be in the area (need the time their to recharge the batteries to deal with work when I come back tuesday to make it to the 24th when we go back). Basically we'll decide if we want to get in the water once we're there but there is so many other things to do that we'll be enjoying ourselves no matter what.
I say go, and enjoy all of 30A! And the beaches if you can!
~nola AB

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We spent Saturday and Sunday on the beach and it was beautiful. Swam all day yesterday and did not have any oily feel or smell. The small amount of tar washing onto shore is immediately cleaned up. come and enjoy the beach!:wave:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We love 30A so much because there is so much more to offer than just the beach. We even come down here in the winter after Xmas and of course we can't get in the water then - no we can't.
Sometimes we come down and the June grass is so heavy we don't want to get in.
Sometimes there are double red flags and we can't get in.
Sometimes the waves are too frequent and high and that gets tiring after awhile.
So we do other things - walk, ride our bikes, sit near the water, dine out, drink at Bud & Alleys, go to Crosspoint Chapel, window shop/shop, go to the pool (or next week we have our own pool)....
The only thing that will keep us from coming down - or leaving early would be if the air would be heavy with the smell of an oil refinery.
The vacationer/rental house issue is almost separate from the worst of it - the environment.
Sometimes we drive to Mexico Beach - stinks over by St. Joe's(?).
Growing up, Lake Michigan was awful, can't go in.
I understand if families with children - they should go elsewhere unless they like riding the bikes, playing in the pool instead, or can settle for playing in the sand away from the water.
See you soon,
Ellen

soonerkim

Beach Comber
Jun 24, 2010
YES. Come on down with us, we will be there the 10th thru the 16th. You can stay with us at Eastern Shores. I know of three condos that are available during that time frame. I have faith that the oil will stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I'll be down 7-3 thru 7-17 and am hoping for the best for all of the gulf coast, for those that live and work on the coast and for those of us that work all year to enjoy the coast for a week or two!