• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
The unfortunate reality is that Beach Vendors are growing and growing. Its a cash cow business with some very smart people owning some of these businesses. Smart business owners don't own dumb businesses.

The push for banning tents, while there are some merits to it (space and safety) totally favor the Beach Vendor.

Until these vendors that use PUBLIC Beach, which it basically all is now thanks to customary use, start to pay a usage fee to the county, I have no use for them.

Has anyone asked themselves, why this almost out of "Knowhere" became an issue in the last few years? Where was this problem five years ago? I don't recall it being one.
I wonder what will happen when a fishing guide decides to do a beach fishing charter and scads of folks have hooks and lines at the shore where people are trying to swim. I'm sorry but it's like every other public use area there has to be rules so everyone can be included and no one party can ruin it for everyone else.... just like the dog use... there are guidelines and fees imposed on private citizens who already pay property taxes just so they can walk there dog on the beach. I live near a boat ramp and the fishing charters have absolutely taken it over. I can't even use the dock to fish anymore. Mobs of people are thundering down the road in front of my house now. I ask myself why these businesses are not paying for a slip at the marina. Well, because the public park ramp is free of course. They clean the fish there and dump them right by the ramp. So now there are a sea of floating fish guts and head all over the place. Wondering how long it will take for the gator I saw to figure this out if he hasn't already. I guess no one cares if one of the neighborhood kids get dragged to the bottom. [angry face]

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
What is a BCC meeting and how do I find out where to attend?

"BCC" is the Board of County Commissioners (our Walton County Government). They are "elected" and their are five seats.

I have very little faith in them to do anything that benefits anyone outside of their special interests.

One of the ways they get away with they way they run the county is that very few people attend their public meetings. (Thus, I believe Mr. Fletcher's inquiry). Side note - Mr. Fletcher did run for BCC and would have been a wonderful addition. Unfortunately, he lost.

It is also my understanding that a BCC Members family actually runs a charter fishing boat and it might just be in the area you reference.

One of the big issues pending at the next BCC Meeting is the 1/2 cent sales tax. If you think there are problems with vendors, you haven't seen anything yet. Go to that meeting.

Welcome to SoWal.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
"BCC" is the Board of County Commissioners (our Walton County Government). They are "elected" and their are five seats.

I have very little faith in them to do anything that benefits anyone outside of their special interests.

One of the ways they get away with they way they run the county is that very few people attend their public meetings. (Thus, I believe Mr. Fletcher's inquiry). Side note - Mr. Fletcher did run for BCC and would have been a wonderful addition. Unfortunately, he lost.

It is also my understanding that a BCC Members family actually runs a charter fishing boat and it might just be in the area you reference.

One of the big issues pending at the next BCC Meeting is the 1/2 cent sales tax. If you think there are problems with vendors, you haven't seen anything yet. Go to that meeting.

Welcome to SoWal.
Lordy!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'll withhold my response and let you form your own opine on the BCC.

You can also view the meetings on line, live. Be sure to visit the site PRIOR to the meeting as there are some requirements of your PC to meet to receive the broadcast.