• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of the SLERS because I do not know enough about it to argue for or against it. I do know this. If ALL agencies do not have the capability to talk to one another immediately on one channel (Guard comes to mind in A/C) then the emergency system usage is greatly diminished. Communications with all required agencies in an emergency situation should be a prime consideration in the evaluation and purchase of ANY new county wide communication system.

I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of the SLERS because I do not know enough about it to argue for or against it. I do know this. If ALL agencies do not have the capability to talk to one another immediately on one channel (Guard comes to mind in A/C) then the emergency system usage is greatly diminished. Communications with all required agencies in an emergency situation should be a prime consideration in the evaluation and purchase of ANY new county wide communication system.

We will not even be able to talk to Okaloosa Sheriff's Dept because Larry was smart enough to listen to people and cancel it in favor of a cheaper system that works better. Looks like someone would have called him and talked to him, I believe the number is in the book.

happydays32

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2010
SLERS is a multi-million taxpayer dollar mistake. firefighters in walton county are in near unanimous opposition to this non-working system. speaking to one, he said that sheriff adkinson plans to ask the county to take control of the fire districts if he is elected to a second term. i hope the county commission says "nO" like they did when he tried to retake over the county jail. i think the voters should say "no" to this ambitious man's plan to take over most facets of our law enforcement and fire protection here in walton county.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
festus, it is obvious you have forgotten what the sheriff's department was like before Mike Atkinson was elected. It would appear you have an axe to grind.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If the Sheriff took over the fire department, does that mean the fire commissioners go away? I never understood their purpose and would much rather be spending tax monies on active firefighters than elected officials.