• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Last year, the SWCC held a forum about plastic and Chris Mitchell, Walton County's Public Information Officer was available to answer questions about the recycling program.

Using the trailers is the best way to ensure that more recyclables are recovered. They found that too many people were using the free blue bags as regular garbage bags.

Walton County also took a survey asking people if they would be willing to pay an extra $5 a month for recycling. The result was a unanimous "no". Then they came up with the idea of using one garbage day to pick up recyclables. Unfortunately, that didn't bode well with rental property, which generate a tremendous amount of garbage throughout the week.

Cardboard IS recyclable at the trailers. The reason they say "No cardboard" is because they don't want people throwing in boxes that aren't broken down. That wastes space and therefore gas. Chris said it was perfectly acceptable to put in cardboard, just break it down first. Apparently, most people don't follow the rules.

Lastly, there are a few other reasons it's more complicated to recycle in Walton County. Our county waste facility is not equipped to wash contaminated recyclables. This would require more money for a waste water treatment facility and required permits for dumping treated waste water. All of Walton County only has about 50,000 full-time residents. Except for some developments in South Walton, residents are spread out over the land making it more costly and time consuming to collect the garbage. We're still considered very rural and this is also true when companies buy the recyclables. Our recyclables will sit for months on site while the county waits for a buyer. All the while, the recyclables are mounting every day and the waste facility has to store them.

So, when people wonder why Walton County is so backwards with the recycling, there's a reason for it. We're a perfect example of how some things that work for an urban environment, just don't work every where.

The best thing we can do is be more conscious about what we buy and how it's packaged.

Thanks for the info!

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
I'm a new Santa Rosa Beach property owner. I've been taking recycleables to blue trailer on 393. I put glass/plastic/newspapers all in one garbage bag & throw in trailer--should I sort beforehand?

Hopefully you're not taking a big bag of mixed glass, cans and paper and throwing it into the blue trailers. Which one would you put it in as the individual compartments are labeled specific as to what goes into them?

Cans/glass is one, newspaper is another and plastic is the last one.

I have a small set of bins at my home and every few days, I load up any plastic bags I have from grocery stores with the three acceptable compartments items and go drop them off at the blue trailer. I guess you'd call this sorting beforehand. I've seen some show up with a large cardboard box or garbage bag and toss items into individual bins.

I am guilty of throwing cans/glass into the bins inside a plastic grocery bag. Sorry. :cool:

I almost forgot. Chris Mitchell also said it was acceptable to combine the recyclables in one bag (any kind of bag) and drop off at the trailers. They will be recycled. It's just easier when they are pre-sorted and broken glass is not mingling with paper and plastic.

As for the inconvenience mentioned by another poster, I just load up the recyclables when I plan to go to Publix or UPS (there is no smell because they have been washed - remember there is no way to clean the recyclables at the waste facility) and drop them off at the trailer. It takes all of 5 minutes extra to load the car and drop them off.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
I live in a small neighborhood, so we put a couple of large cans out for neighbors to drop off their clean & bagged plastic. When the bins get full, I haul them over to publix with my own stuff. It seems like the only way to encourage recycling at present is to be really pro-active and help out neighbors who need a little nudge. Lots of neighborhoods on 30A are realtively small, and have central collection areas, such as the mailbox. Why Watercolor and Seaside, etc. don't have dedicated recylcing bins on site is truly beyond me.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I really don't understand why it is so difficult to get recycling here. :dunno:

Most of our visitors come from places w/ recycling and a wide variety of communities have implemented programs so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I really don't understand why it is so difficult to get recycling here. :dunno:

Most of our visitors come from places w/ recycling and a wide variety of communities have implemented programs so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

We do have recycling here. We have the trailers, and we have pre-sorting of regular trash at the dump.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Sorry, I meant CURBSIDE recycling. :wave: Don't really think of trailers and prisoners picking through garbage as a program.

JMT

Beach Lover
Aug 5, 2009
Seagrove Beach, Fl
Hello.. Just wanted to bump this thread! Blu-Binz Curbside Recycling has been up and operating since May. We have customers all over SoWal now, and have helped recycle over 2 1/2 tons of material so far! Check us out at www.blu-binz.com. Cheers!

PAbeachlover

Beach Comber
Sep 4, 2005
Erie PA
That's OK for the full timer, but what about us tourists. We will be coming to Sowal for the month of Nov. Here at home, we are passionate about recycling everything we can, right down to composting in the back yard. How does a visitor to Sowal find where to recycle plastic, cans, cardboard & paper, & glass?? I'm afraid my husband will want to bag it all up and carry it back to Pennsylvania if we cannot recycle?? Help!

General InformationSoWal Recycles was founded by Cyrus (10 years old) & Grace (8 years old) of Seagrove Beach, FL when they began recycling themselves and realized the efforts involved. South Walton's Waste Management company does not offer curbside recycling pick-up and some people choose not to recycle due to the lack of time. Gas prices have more recently started effecting recycling efforts as well. Cyrus and Gra...ce wanted to blend the eco-friendly carpooling concept with recycling and thus created SoWal Recycles, a curbside pick-up service for all your recycling needs. They even sort for those who don't want the extra bins in their home. Now serving the greater South Walton Area! Ask about business pick-up too!See More

EmailSoWalRecycle@gmail.com
Phone850-461-0456
Websitehttp://www.sowalrecycle.blogspot.com

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
That's OK for the full timer, but what about us tourists. We will be coming to Sowal for the month of Nov. Here at home, we are passionate about recycling everything we can, right down to composting in the back yard. How does a visitor to Sowal find where to recycle plastic, cans, cardboard & paper, & glass?? I'm afraid my husband will want to bag it all up and carry it back to Pennsylvania if we cannot recycle?? Help!

You can find recycle trailer locations on this map - http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=19
Note that glass is not being accepted at the moment. They are looking for a new vendor to accept glass.