• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
People who pay thousands of dollars to stay art a place don't always expect to have to be responsible. They expect to be catered to and cleaned up after, at a resort or a "SoWal Town".

That's just the way it is. Fighting it is a waste of time. Resorts hire security and people to take care of guests and to clean up, etc. Walton County can do the same or suffer the consequences. Or we as a community can decide we don't want to kneel to tourism and change it up. But you can't keep building rentals and expect that to work out.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
People who pay thousands of dollars to stay art a place don't always expect to have to be responsible. They expect to be catered to and cleaned up after, at a resort or a "SoWal Town".

That's just the way it is. Fighting it is a waste of time. Resorts hire security and people to take care of guests and to clean up, etc. Walton County can do the same or suffer the consequences. Or we as a community can decide we don't want to kneel to tourism and change it up. But you can't keep building rentals and expect that to work out.

We can agree to disagree, but I believe that, over time, we can attract the kind of people who come here because they truly appreciate and respect our natural resources and help keep them nice for all. I'm told that the parks do not have trash cans on the beach and that they have little problem with trash left where it doesn't belong. To your point, we also don't have to "kneel" to tourism. We could actually have a balance, which doesn't really exist today.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
We can agree to disagree, but I believe that, over time, we can attract the kind of people who come here because they truly appreciate and respect our natural resources and help keep them nice for all. I'm told that the parks do not have trash cans on the beach and that they have little problem with trash left where it doesn't belong. To your point, we also don't have to "kneel" to tourism. We could actually have a balance, which doesn't really exist today.
I think we should try to improve. But I think real change will cause pain. It will likely mean fewer visitors and this area has sold out.

To make change locals would need to be more involved, campaigns against litter, education, campaigns about taking very little to the beach while eliminating vendors ... lots of ideas but stepping on toes not easy or fun. When it comes down to it, money talks. Which is why the kind of stuff you are talking about won't happen. Change comes from top down or bottom up. The top is too busy counting money and the bottom is beach lovers who would rather be sunning, drinking, fishing ....

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
We are at Eastern Shores and someone left a tent frame on the beach 3 days ago. It is still there. If your county is so concerned about garbage left on the beach, why hasn't the county picked this up?? UNBELIEVABLE!!! Practice what you preach, or tourists are never going to believe you are serious about your clean beaches. I, for one, am appalled that this thing has been here this long. What is the problem??? I would appreciate an answer to this question. I have been visiting this beach for 21 years, and have never seen anything so blatantly ignored. Great job, Sowal, in reinforcing your laws. It isn't the tourons that are stupid, it is your county government. By the way, why have you removed all the garbage collection cans at each condo walkover? Do you not realize that this is going to encourage people who don't care to leave their trash on the beach? You all seem to be going backward in protecting your beautiful beaches. What a shame. This has been our worst visit ever. When coming home from Gulf Place we were followed by a black Cadillac SUV, driven by a mother and her entitled daughter. I followed the speed limit and this woman was up my bumper the whole way. When I approached a pedestrian crosswalk, and the car coming from the opposite direction had stopped, I stopped as well. The spoiled entitled brat leaned over and laid on the horn of her Mother's car. This continued all the way to Grayton Beach. This spoiled teenager continued to lean over and lay on the horn all the way. You people need our dollars to continue to feed your lifestyle, however after 21 years we will be seeking a more friendly, less snobby place to spend our money. I live at the base of the Smoky Mtns. and we would never treat our tourists the way you people do. Enjoy your rich, snotty lifestyle. We are not less than you people, we are more gracious and refined. New money does not equal class.
Beach front owners have Banned Clean trucks on ALL beaches..wake up..

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Beach front owners have Banned Clean trucks on ALL beaches..wake up..
Not true. That may be what some would have people believe, but it is not true. Dig deep and find out. There is plenty of the beach that can be reached, but it's easier to blame a few owners and stop cleaning the beach than to go to a little more effort and clean most of the beach.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I think we should try to improve. But I think real change will cause pain. It will likely mean fewer visitors and this area has sold out.

To make change locals would need to be more involved, campaigns against litter, education, campaigns about taking very little to the beach while eliminating vendors ... lots of ideas but stepping on toes not easy or fun. When it comes down to it, money talks. Which is why the kind of stuff you are talking about won't happen. Change comes from top down or bottom up. The top is too busy counting money and the bottom is beach lovers who would rather be sunning, drinking, fishing ....

I don't give up easily. No change is ever easy, but not trying seals the deal.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Not true. That may be what some would have people believe, but it is not true. Dig deep and find out. There is plenty of the beach that can be reached, but it's easier to blame a few owners and stop cleaning the beach than to go to a little more effort and clean most of the beach.
One beachfront owner can cut off entire sections of beach. A few beachfront owners can ruin an entire community.

Last I heard the county had kneeled for beachfront lawyers by offering to document that having access to clean the beaches did not demonstrate anything that would keep beachfront owners from banning people from the beaches next to their houses.

Spryfox

Beach Crab
Sep 14, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
Glad something's being done about it, though I wonder how much teeth something like this really has. Ultimately it boils down to how individuals (mostly visitors) treat the area. It's not always easy to be polite while explaining common sense civility.