Southwest Airlines Information

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by destinscuba, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I have family in DC, so BWI (Baltimore) is indeed a good route for me!

2. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

Here's my two cents and hopefully others will chime in. It is a little challenging to reach the city from BWI but with lower fares may be worth it.

As far as public transportation, you have three options, bus to metro, MARC train to union station (metro), Amtrak to union station (metro). With the Bus to Metro and MARC to Metro, each way would take about an hour and cost should be no more than $10. Amtrak depends on which train you catch (not unlike Europe). Cost vary but have an overall shorter time around 30 minutes. The Express trains run more than $30, but you can get a regional train in the $12-18 range depending on time of day (one way)

Taxi fairs will vary but can run somewhere on the order of $80+ one way.

Car rental is available but then you have issues of paying for parking (Driving distance is about 33-35 miles depending on where you are going in DC). I love the public transportation once I reach the city so wouldn't choose car rental. There is the Metro and the Circulator bus that will hit just about everything you need in Downtown. Plus, cab fares aren't too bad if something isn't convenient for you.

3. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Though unless you're booked directly through the Evil Mouse directly and use their airport shuttle services, you can have some pretty significant transportation costs in Orlando if you don't have your own car. And going the other way, it's going to take some work to convince Disney visitors to spend the beach part of their vacations in PCB when the Space Coast and Tampa areas are both easier to get to and have better weather than the Panhandle.

I think that if the route succeeds, it's going to be because a) it catches on with business travellers who need to make a quick overnight trip to the Panhandle or Central Florida area, and/or b) people from around here using the SWA hop to take advantage of cheap international or specialty flights out of MCO.

4. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Ticket to Orlando for $49!!!!! Round trip to Costa for around $260.00 once in Orlando! My life just changed again! :D

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

If you like crabs it's worth it. It's also home to film maker John Waters.

6. Just Curious

Just Curious Beach Fanatic

Chicago and NY, maybe, but why Detroit:dunno:. Who wants to go to Detroit.

7. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I don't want to go to Detroit, but it's a hub and near some Sowallers.

8. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

:cry: I was really hoping for Detroit because we live about 30 minutes from the Detroit airport. So, maybe Delta will come through with some direct flights or at least less expensive flights. Lately, Delta has had some fantastic airfare sales from Detroit to Fort Walton Beach and I hope they keep that up. Lowest fares I've seen since I've started coming to SoWal.

9. passin thru

passin thru Beach Fanatic

If ECP becomes a busy airport, and if the Emerald Coast continues to grow & succeed, then I would imagine an intelligent carrier like Southwest would want to add some more routes.

This list of four is the initial list, we hope, right? ..... the airport doesn't even open for another six months.

10. Surfrider28

Surfrider28 Beach Comber

Kind of disappointment, no real big cities expect for Baltimore/DC. Just small to medium cities.

11. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Other than Houston being the 4th largest city in the United State, I guess. Or isn't that big enough?

12. Will B

Will B Moderator

It's a NW / DAL hub but not a hub for anybody else. You have to keep in mind, though, that Southwest does not operate on a hub and spoke model like the major carriers. They are point to point. The reason they have chosen the four cities is because their research shows that they are the most likely to bear fruit.

Time will tell...

13. destinscuba

destinscuba Beach Lover

I would also think that not having the hub & spoke model would make it easier to add/change/remove routes as needed to better serve their customer base flight habits.

14. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

There is a lot to see and do in Baltimore and great food. Here is a synopsis.

The crown jewel of downtown Baltimore, our vibrant and beautiful waterfront is home to dozens of shops, eateries and attractions, all within walking distance of more than 20 major hotels and the expansive Baltimore Convention Center. Take advantage of the diversity of Baltimore’s downtown attractions. In just a few city blocks, you can explore wildlife from the deep and Down Under at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, have a 360-degree Imax experience at the Maryland Science Center, submerge yourself in the courageous journey of African Americans at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture or wander through the pop culture icons of your past at the new Geppi’s Entertainment Museum. Other attractions not to be missed are the one-of-a-kind American Visionary Art Museum, Sports Legends at Camden Yards and Port Discovery, the Children’s Museum. After you’ve worked up a healthy appetite, stop in for a bite to eat at the staggering array of restaurants, eateries and food vendors scattered throughout Harborplace and the surrounding area. With so many delicious options, we are confident that you will find something to satisfy any taste. But wait! Your Baltimore experience only begins at the Inner Harbor. Hop on the Baltimore Water Taxi when the weather is warm or set out on foot to explore other downtown neighborhoods and head off in the direction of your next adventure.

15. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

John Waters :lol:

16. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I like John Waters and crabs. Thanks for the info - keep it coming!

17. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Never been to Baltimore - direct flight at a cheap price may change that! :D

18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

There's the Ravens too, but I've never met anyone that was a fan.

19. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Just don't watch the David Simon tv series before going to Baltimore.

20. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

But, what if we could get free tickets to the game from a favorite local ref?