Sowal in October

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Adjh, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Adjh

Adjh Beach Comber

We have been sowal fans for almost 10 years. We fell in love with the place on our first visit. We always stay in Blue Mt. We normally come down a couple of times a year with our longest stay in July. Last year I spent most of my time disgusted at beach goers who played loud music or let their kids play on the dunes. This year we decided to try October and LOVE it. Is it always like this in October (weather, water, beaches) or did we just get lucky this time? Just wanted a local opinion.

Thanks.

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

:welcome: :sowal:

October is OK but look out for all the biting flies, poisonous snakes, mosquitoes, spiders, and alligators. The sharks are especially hungry and fierce this time of year. Also too much pollen from the wildflowers that grow like weeds..

3. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Kurt. You forgot to mention the man-eating Monarch butterflies that migrate through South Walton sunning themselves on the native scrub oak in October. They look innocent enough, but their peaceful beauty as they flutter by and land on a branch near you is deceiving! Be afraid, be very afraid...

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

The horror. The horror.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Those scare tactics aren't working anymore. SoWal is super busy. Fall break is the new spring break!

6. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

You are right! I was there last week & it was the crowded I've ever seen it for October. We kept saying it looked like the Jersey shore at the public beach. The weather couldn't of been better though! October is my favorite time to visit.

7. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

As you can tell, you can see that the "off-peak" times in SoWal are wonderful. The busier weeks in October still aren't as busy as the summer weeks, and you can find times in October that don't coincide with the school breaks. It's true that the fall is getting busier than in the past (our cottages were booked two weeks in September and two weeks in October, plus a little more which is more than we've been booked in the past). Also, some beaches are more crowded than others, so I think you'll certainly be able to find a quiet beach area in the fall. So, I say visit and enjoy the off-peak season in SoWal (I think the school fall breaks tend to be the earlier half of October because that's when our cottages were booked). There are quite a few people looking for last minute weekends at the beach as well.

8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

BMB has spotted teradactal jellyfish everywhere.

9. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Last weekend was much, much busier than we've seen since we started going to SoWal in October back in 2003. Lots of families and kids on fall break (that's why we were there -- Georgia Tech's break). Throngs of kids hanging out on the street corners in Seaside, just like during spring break. Like Jdarg said, fall break is the new spring break.

More fall breaks to come -- mine starts on Wednesday afternoon. Can't wait to get to the beach! :D

10. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

October is the month that makes the rest of the year worthwhile. But the Columbus Day holiday is always busy here. Fall breaks and homeowner weekends all fall either before or after that weekend.

11. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Watch out if Louisville ever has a fall break. Almost approved a year or two ago. Someone must not have gotten enough free vacations to approve it. Could be a break in February, if we don't get snow, but teachers might not get the whole week.
    Looks like people are in the water viewing 30A webcams. We're heading to Clearwater for football next week and might have to spend more time in the gulf than we would have thought.
    If we go to the Sugar Bowl, we'll be back to 30A after that, for a couple of days. Otherwise, counting down to June:)
    Ellen

12. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

If you don't like a lot of activity, as long as you stay away from the busier parts of 30A, you'll be very fine. Not all of 30A has a lot of traffic and teens during the busier times. I have a hunch you'd still be able to find a quiet beach where you can watch the sunset by yourself or almost by yourself. Maybe someone can post the busiest fall break weeks.

13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

October is such a great time here. But love November even more! The weather is absolutely wonderful. Its like real fall with more cool in the air but not cold.

14. The Window Guy

The Window Guy Beach Fanatic

Please keep the "Secret", This is the best time of the year for us locals.

15. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

January and February are our only really quiet times. But not completely quiet. Always an event or two.

16. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We love being at the beach during Thanksgiving Week, the Christmas season, the quiet times in January and February (great for watching college basketball at Borago, Whiskey Bravo, or Shades), etc. Pretty much all year round. :wub:

17. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

April and October are our favorite months to come down; I can do without the summmer months :) Love to see the monarch butterflies and always feel a bit guilty when one collides with my windshield. Coming down next week and we can't wait. Go Bucks!