• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tyler T

Beach Lover
Aug 24, 2010
I guess if you feel 20% is a proper tip amount then leave it alone... ? Not sure ... seems shady.

Many restaurants have started added charges, in some cases as much as 20% of the total bill.

“We’ve added a 20% service fee or commission to checks and orders, and our servers retain the vast majority of that,” Shades Bar and Grill Partner and Director of Operations Steven Sapp said.

17% of that service fee at Shades Bar and Grill in Walton County goes to servers, and the remaining amount goes to the hosts and bussers.

When Shades customers sit down, they are made aware of this with a card placed on the table.

“I believe, and the industry believes, this is going to be a trend in Florida and other states with the rising costs that are occurring,” Sapp said. “We know of some other restaurant groups in the local area in Destin that are also implementing a very similar format.”

“This is ultimately guaranteeing that our staff and employees are taken care of in the future,” Sapp said.

If a business is charging an extra fee, they usually post it somewhere in the restaurant. If you don’t see it posted, ask staff members.

It is also a good idea to look over your check carefully before paying the bill.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
So this affects shitty tippers? Not my problem.
Probably will cause a real problem with people who don't know about the charge but tip also. Which was happening at some places already that add a surcharge for parties of 6 or more.

The whole thing smells of a way for restaurants to make more profit. Like VRBO adding fees, cleaning fees, booking fees, taxes, etc. Next thing you know restaurants will have reservation fees, seating fees, cleanig fees, bus fees, freshness fees .... on and on.

Ad wait staff will get stiffed as usual except at the high end places.

S-dubOg

Beach Lover
Sep 30, 2017
gulf
This is how most of the rest of the world operates. "Tipping", or leaving service industry employess wages up to the whims or moods of customers, is an odd practice in general. Hopefully this catches on here in the states. The people that complain are the same people who throw a fit over dining rooms being sat at half capacity, or a restaurant not offering to-go orders because they cant keep staff due to low wages. If you don't like it, don't go. I suspect they will not miss your business.

S-dubOg

Beach Lover
Sep 30, 2017
gulf
Also, for those who are offended by this practice, do not fret. There is a snazzy little local establishment right here on 30a where will you never have to worry about it. It's called the Real Time Cafe, located in beautiful downtown Seagrove Beach, in the northeast corner of the Tom Thumb.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Leave a cash tip and comment in the tip line “cash”.
Cash “is” King