• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
I read that both Butler & SoWal HS principals are leaving this year. Is this just coincidence or are there major changes in the works? Is this good news or bad news for those schools?

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Both South Walton High and Butler Elementary will have new principals next year, as well as the new middle school.

The high school and elementary school principals each retired. The new principal for the high school used to be at Niceville, and from what I understand, was instrumental in the development of the college level instruction there. I have not heard any announcement of a new elementary principal.

We are really excited about the new middle school (grade 6 - 8). In the past few years, the middle school has been located within the building of the high school, with it's own teachers, wing, etc, but without it's own identity or principal. It was OK, but not great.

The new school will be in it's own building on the same tract of land as Butler Elementary. Dr. Haro, the new principal for the school has proven himself as an outstanding teacher and leader.

He visited the classrooms of the 5th graders on several occasions to answer questions the children had about the new school. He has put on 3 evening sessions at the high school for parents and students to learn about it. He's even letting the kids vote on the mascot and name for the new school! Current finalists for the name are Emerald Coast Middle School and Coastal Middle School. The mascots might be Sting Rays or Barracudas.

I met him first as my child's algebra teacher and have been extremely pleased with him as a teacher as well, and am not alone with that opinion.

Did I say that there's a lot of excitement about the schools?

:clap_1:

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Thanks so much for your post. I have tried to keep up with the schools & have been impressed, but the news of the principals leaving had me a little nervous. I'm glad to hear your opinion of the schools and am glad to hear they will have great leadership.

:D :D