• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
Ok, SoWallers, who can give me the scoop on the schools on 30A?
I have only noticed Butler Elem. and the Seaside school. I might be jobhunting that way pretty soon and I'd like to know anything you guys and gals would like to share.

Thanks!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The only other school on 30A is Emerald Coast Middle School, which is behind Butler Elementary until a new middle school is built. (Don't know how far the plans for that have gone.) Besides Butler, Seaside and ECMS there is Historic Bay Elementary in Point Washington (my alma mater). Then, when elementary and middle school is over, we have South Walton High School on 331.

We :love: our schools!

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks for the info!
Tell me this....which high schools do you recommend in Walton Co.? My son will start high school next year and that may dictate our move.

Panhandler

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2006
In the panhandle, man...
I'll be the first to say it -not everything is so peachy in 30A education:eek: . The housing is so expensive and teacher salaries are so low that there is a huge teacher turnover rate and many of the teachers are recent graduates - so if you're kids need more than an instructor - say a mentor maybe - you'd better start looking for a good church, too :roll: ...

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
miramargal said:
Thanks for the info!
Tell me this....which high schools do you recommend in Walton Co.? My son will start high school next year and that may dictate our move.
I would say South Walton High..

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
All of our schools are good, but if you move to the southern end of the county, he would go to South Walton High. If you move to the Freeport area, Freeport High is an excellent choice as well.

As to teachers - many of the teachers that were at Butler when my son went thru were either already firmly established in the area, or lived in Freeport or DeFuniak Springs. I suspect that there is turnover just about everywhere you go, as teacher salaries in our neighboring counties are not much better (contrary to reports published by the neighboring counties).

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
kurt - high school is for my son. I am certified to teach 1-8 and will add an early childhood/kindergarten endorsement if I pass the test I'm taking next month. Florida has reciprocity agreements with Louisiana so I'll be K-6.
Also, what do you know about the Seaside school? I know it's a charter school with small numbers and multiple grades per teacher(I think). It would be my nirvana to get to go to work at Seaside each day and do what I love most--educating children.

shallowsnole - Thanks for letting me know about Freeport. That is also an area we are interested in. From what I have read, Okaloosa pays more than Walton. I don't know if that is accurate, but it's really not just about the money. I want a school system that values the teacher as a person with committed principals. A good principal sets the tone for the entire school.