• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Seems SoWal is / becoming a runaway train re: development, infrastructure, beach use, micromobility devices, golf carts, beach access, etc. Appears that concerns are addressed as they come up. How do we get in front of all these issues and initiate more proactive planning? Is there a vision or strategic plan for the future?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Seems SoWal is / becoming a runaway train re: development, infrastructure, beach use, micromobility devices, golf carts, beach access, etc. Appears that concerns are addressed as they come up. How do we get in front of all these issues and initiate more proactive planning? Is there a vision or strategic plan for the future?
The foxes are in the hen house. Have you seen our BCC lately? When we have enough permanent residents in SoWal who aren't always fishing or tanning then there will be a successful movement to become incorporated, but the foxes will have eaten all the hens, roosters, chicks and eggs. I suggest in the meantime to join SWCC and go to county meetings and make your voice heard.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Incorporation isn't the answer. It's being informed and involved.
Nothing will change until we reach critical mass of locals who are informed and involved. Those types of people will push incorporation. It is the natural evolution of local power (and bureaucracy). It is coming like a train rumbling down the tracks.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Nothing will change until we reach critical mass of locals who are informed and involved. Those types of people will push incorporation. It is the natural evolution of local power (and bureaucracy). It is coming like a train rumbling down the tracks.
I forget the details but when this was considered a few years back it was DOA because it meant taxes would go up and there would be ‘more government’. So long as those talking points exist, you can forget it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I forget the details but when this was considered a few years back it was DOA because it meant taxes would go up and there would be ‘more government’. So long as those talking points exist, you can forget it.

Those aren't even my issues with it. The current powers behind the curtain control almost a majority of the BCC as it is. Those powers would simply pack a town council with puppets to do their bidding.

Again this is why locals need to be informed and engaged at the county level. Also, a lot of us need to get over nonlocal or hyper partisan issues when it comes to local candidates. Otherwise a fear that one BCC member might be pro choice gets another puppet elected.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Those aren't even my issues with it. The current powers behind the curtain control almost a majority of the BCC as it is. Those powers would simply pack a town council with puppets to do their bidding.

Again this is why locals need to be informed and engaged at the county level. Also, a lot of us need to get over nonlocal or hyper partisan issues when it comes to local candidates. Otherwise a fear that one BCC member might be pro choice gets another puppet elected.
4/5ths as it is.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Said someone every time before every incorporation. :lol: