Spring Break 2014 - South Walton

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Teresa, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Posted today on Walton County Sheriff's Office fb page. Gotta be Old Hwy 98 near Pompano Joe's, Whale's Tail stretch....

The Sheriff's office is reporting quite a few arrests for underage drinking. KIDS, please be advised that the Sheriff's office is cracking down again this year in South Walton, Florida.

[​IMG]

The Walton County Sheriff’s Offices toughened their policy on dealing with underage drinkers for this year’s spring break after deputies noticed students treating their notices to appear as almost a badge of honor in recent years.

Under the sheriff’s office’s current policy, spring breakers under 18 will be given a notice to appear in court and their parents will be called. Spring breakers between 18 and 20 will be arrested. nwfdailynews.com

Panama City News Herald:

The week of March 10-14 will be the busiest week of the season, with an estimated 2.7 million U.S. college students out of school. March 17-21 will be another big week, with about 1.4 million students on Spring Break.

U.S. college students on Spring Break by week:
    - March 3-7: 664,357
    - March 10-14: 2.7 million
    - March 17-21: 1.4 million
    - March 24-28: 681,745
    - March 31-April 4: 179,367

[​IMG]
    PCB Spring Break on this past Sunday| News Herald photographer Heather Leiphart

2. Teresa

Meanwhile along Scenic 30A, I've heard one report of a packed out vacation home and underage drinking, arrests, moms who are IN the homes providing the alcohol to their kids, etc.. I guess this is normal stuff in 2014?

Seaside was packed out today but was able to navigate my way through it pretty easily (locals know the way).

The beaches along Scenic 30A were beautiful today along with stellar weather! Plenty of people on spring break vacation which is a good thing for our great local businesses and restaurants!

3. Teresa

Pensacola Beach today:

[​IMG]

4. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

If I recall, 30 years ago, parents were even more tolerant of their underage kids drinking than they are today. It was just as prevalent 30 years before that. I know my parents started drinking and smoking at about 13 or 14 and that was not uncommon. Personally I did not drink much until I was of legal age, which was 18 at the time. This was normal behavior back in 1914.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Our daughter is in her late 20s. Many of her friends' parents took their young teens to Cancun where they could drink legally. When these same kids turned 16 and could drive, their parents let them drive to the beach. Most parents would stay at a different location and check in on their children by phone. The parents would laugh about how drunk their high-schoolers were. I didn't think there was anything funny about that. Our daughter stayed with us at our house (along with her boyfriend). Neither of them drank.

So to answer your question, Teresa, most parents I knew when our daughter was underage had no problem with their kids getting ****-faced drunk.

6. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

7. Teresa

I was definitely at PCB when in highschool drinking illegally with all my friends. But my parents certainly had nothing whatsoever to do with it. They kind of knew but certainly never approved, and I wouldn't expect them to. Times do change, don't they?

8. Teresa

9. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
  10. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

As reported by WZEP AM1460:
    As of Tuesday morning, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office Deputies deputies have responded to a total of 908 calls for service for the south end of the county. This is an average of 15 calls per hour. And while they had hoped otherwise, the Office made a record 72 arrests on Sunday.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

What's the latest on the spring breakers? Has it settled down or is it getting crazier? Has the rainy weather put a damper on people behaving badly?

12. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Walton County Sheriff, Michael A. Adkinson, Jr.
    School Resource Deputes Raid Hotel Room, find Cocaine, Marijuana, Paraphernalia and Underage Drinkers

Two School Resource Deputies who are assisting in spring break law enforcement efforts, responded to Scenic Gulf Inn and Suites at 39 Scenic Gulf Drive, at 2:41 PM for a noise complaint on the 4th floor. While on the 4th floor, Deputies John Pettis and Nathan Hicks smelled marijuana. They tracked the smell to a second floor room and knocked on the door. The occupants, who were spring break students from Georgia, opened the door and, after finding cocaine, marijuana, paraphernalia and underage drinkers, made three arrests. The three students are currently being booked at the Walton County Jail. The WCSO Vice/Narcotics Unit assisted in the case.

Alec Connaughton, 20, is charged with possession of a controlled substance “cocaine” and underage possession of alcohol.

Brian Garner, 20, is charged with possession of a controlled substance “cocaine,” possession of marijuana over 20 grams, possession of drug paraphernalia and underage possession of alcohol.

Kenneth Collins, 19, is charged with underage possession of alcohol.

*Mug shots and arrest reports will be available tomorrow*

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I think it's still a few weeks of kids "blowing off steam".

14. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

15. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    Did he not think they had video cameras? :scratch:

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I'd think they caught him on the jail and sheriff's cams.

17. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

WZEP AM1460:

Tennessee Spring Breaker’s Father Arrested for Slashing Tires at Walton County Jail

He might not have been too happy with Walton County, but now the father of an arrested out of state individual has been arrested for damaging cars at the jail.

On Wednesday, March 12th, between the hours of 11 pm to 12 midnight, six vehicles at the Walton County Jail parking lot, located at 796 Triple G Road, Defuniak Springs, sustained damage totaling in the amount of $1,611.00. The damages ranged from sliced tires, a broken windshield and body damage. After reviewing video surveillance footage, Phillip D. Tidwell, 47, of 2148 Aztec Drive, Dyersburg, TN, was identified as the suspect.

Tidwell was observed retrieving what appeared to be a golf club from the trunk of his car, which was parked next to a marked patrol car. He was observed in the video swinging the golf club around the patrol car as well as the other cars parked in the area that were damaged. Tidwell is also seen retrieving an item from the driver side of his vehicle and squatting near the rear passenger tire of the marked patrol car. Five other vehicles also sustained the same type of damage. Four of the six vehicles belonged to correction officers.

Tidwell was arrested and booked at the Walton County Jail.

Tidwell’s justification for the crime committed was due to how long it was taking to get his family member out of jail.

18. Teresa

Unbelievable..

19. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

And they walk among us and vote!

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Here's the really scary part, this guy is also a sheriff's deputy in his home town and ran for sheriff at one point.