• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Looks like Seaside doesn't have the monopoly on wild Teens....apparently the son of Rosemary Beach homeowners...

A 17-year-old is arrested after pulling a knife on a group of teenagers on the beach in Walton County.

Just before midnight on July 12th, Walton County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call about a stabbing near the public beach access at the end of Winston Lane in Rosemary Beach.

Witnesses told deputies they were on the beach with a large group of kids who were participating in “Oklahoma Drills” – a trending activity for those in high school and college where two males are surrounded in a crowd and willingly “face-off” and go full contact. The last one standing “wins”.

After a round of “Oklahoma Drills” finished, witnesses say the suspect, later identified by deputies as Zach Binford-Wiggins, 17, pulled a knife and began charging at different people with the knife open. As a result, a victim in the crowd was cut by Wiggins.

Deputies looked around Winston Lane and located the knife, the suspect’s backpack with blood from the victim, and the suspect’s owner's key card for a Rosemary Beach address. When deputies arrived at the home on West Water Street, Wiggins fled out the back door and ran from deputies.

Thursday morning, July 13th, deputies located Wiggins and arrested him. He is being charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, three counts of aggravated assault, and resisting arrest.

Wiggins was arrested in June of 2022 for obstruction following an incident involving the battery of a Walton County Sheriff’s Deputy. Our agency is choosing to publish his name and mug shot because of the seriousness of the crimes he’s committed and his criminal history.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 110338.png

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
By DOTTY NIST

In the wake of a July 4 beach incident in Seagrove involving a crowd of teenagers, fighting, and minor injury to two beachgoers, Walton County Sheriff Mike Adkinson recently suggested an agreement with the county commission.

The proposed agreement would provide for his personnel or Walton County Code Compliance officers to close or restrict beach access entry by non-residents in order to get better control of beach access areas at times of peak use in the interest of public safety.

The July 4 incident had taken place at the Dogwood Neighborhood Beach Access. There had been videos of it on social media. It is still under investigation by the Walton County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO)

Sheriff Adkinson discussed his proposal with the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) at the July 11 BCC regular meeting at Freeport Commons.

Adkinson stated that by Florida law he already has authority to limit or restrict such access as needed, and would do so when necessary, although he would prefer to proceed with an agreement in place with the BCC.

“Because when I do it,” Adkinson commented, “I’m doing it in response to one singular action, right? I think it’s incumbent for the Board of County Commissioners to have say in this so that there is some kind of consistency and agreement in the way we do business.”

“So what I would like to do,” he continued, “is have you guys consider or look into the possibility [that] we set some type of blanket understanding that for the purpose of high intensity, high traffic areas or times, that we go ahead and make the decision to either, say, to allow the sheriff’s office or code enforcement, however you want to do this, to close accesses to people that do not live in Walton County…”

He envisioned a one-way closure that would not apply to people coming off the beach, just onto the beach.

Adkinson said such an agreement would give the WCSO “some relief.”

“I don’t know how many of you are actually familiar with this,” Adkinson told the commissioners, “but we’re dealing with multiple crowds in excess of 1,000 people, not just in Seaside—at Rosemary we actually had to pull people from Dogwood to go to Rosemary and assist. Same thing in Miramar. So it’s pretty significant.”

Adkinson said the WCSO had approximately 25 personnel working in the area on July 4 and still were not able to get control of the crowds.

“So, we’re going to do some things a little bit differently, and one of those is what I would like to have from you is a consent agreement that during peak times, we can call it from March maybe to Labor Day, some version of that…,” he told the officials, “that you as a body agree with our position to close as needed, or limit traffic as needed, on beach accesses.”

Noting that the request had not been included as an agenda item, the commissioners opted not to take immediate action on it.

“Mr. Chairman,” District 5 Commissioner Tony Anderson responded, “I personally am not prepared to vote for this today. I would like to meet with the sheriff.” He said he was not saying either that he was opposed or in favor of “the overall picture of what he’s talking about,” just that he did not think the BCC should be making a decision without more discussion with Adkinson.

Walton County Commission Chairman Danny Glidewell agreed, saying that he had not been prepared to consider the request.

“Just to be clear,” Adkinson stated, “I think this is something we just need to be discussing and kind of move forward on…and we need to decide how and when that should be applied. Pragmatically, I can go ahead and do it now as necessary. But I think for it to be a policy—to your point Commissioner Anderson—-it needs to be thought out and needs to be put out there—and then some parameters on it so that we understand what we’re doing and we can tell the public.”

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We were told that Bay County banned alcohol from the beaches a few years ago. Is that true? Did the young people start coming over to 30A because of that? Or does PCB see the same problems still? Just avoid Florida beaches during peak times, spring break, fall break, etc. Ellen

TinaMidland

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2020
inlet
I am all for making restrictions at night during peak times but I think it needs to start with 10 pm curfew under 18 for all of 30A , this is what is causing the problem right now and has been. I think this will get the attention of kids and parents we will not tolerate a free for all at all hours . It cant be restricting non Walton co residents because a lot of homeowners who come down to their vacation house are not Walton co residents, furthermore they like to have bonfires, dinners etc on the beach that could go past 10

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
They could change public beach accesses to have hours. Sunup to sundown or something. I'm sure there's no political will to do that, though.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I am all for making restrictions at night during peak times but I think it needs to start with 10 pm curfew under 18 for all of 30A , this is what is causing the problem right now and has been. I think this will get the attention of kids and parents we will not tolerate a free for all at all hours . It cant be restricting non Walton co residents because a lot of homeowners who come down to their vacation house are not Walton co residents, furthermore they like to have bonfires, dinners etc on the beach that could go past 10

You'd be violating existing codes if you were having a bonfire or catered event after 10pm on the beach. All permitted activity has to end at 10pm unless you hold a special events permit with extended times and that would require a BCC appearance.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
They could change public beach accesses to have hours. Sunup to sundown or something. I'm sure there's no political will to do that, though.

I'm against that. I'm not sure if you've ever walked our beaches on a full moon night after midnight, but it's absolutely spectacular.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Since times have changed & so has behavior & crowds, something needs to be done. If anything, use the excuse that you are protecting 18 & under from getting hurt. (The worst vacation we had at Seaside was owners' week. 4 Knoxville couples who owned a vacation were the most obnoxious bunch. HOA got after them; sheriff was called. One person said they arrived drunk & left drunk. We saw some of them another visit with grandmas & children. Behaved that time. Ellen

conch

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2010
When I was a kid, the town I grew up in had a town funded "TEEN CENTER".
It was a safe place for teens to gather, play music, dance, and socialize.
There were adults present, but they were in the background.
Perhaps these elite, affluent communities, along 30a should each consider funding
one within their community. {goodness know they have the money}
Give the kids a place where they can "get away" from the parents, yet not be running wild on the beach. Might be worth a try.