• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
So, how'd the protest go?

I bet about 8 or 9 people, including children actually showed up.

That accounts for about the same number of posters on SoWal that support the Trespass March.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The Coastal Dune Lakes Day event was canceled due to weather today. Bummer! But the Stand Your Sand Walk happened! Several people walking from different spots reported in on Facebook. Dave's group stopped at Havana Beach for a rainy break and breakfast and continued for a 13 mile walk, meeting friends along the way including Surfrider members with their water stop. Dedicated people. Thank you.

The Walk has received a lot of attention, almost all positive, with much discussion about #customaryuse here and on community Facebook groups and the event page which tracked more than 450 interested in participating or supporting the idea with many thousands more views.. Elevating the issue. And that was the idea. Rain or no rain.

Gotta love this little beach town. Photo by S. Bell, fb post today.

FB_IMG_1465081883751.jpg

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
A whole lot more of us were with them in spirit. Customary use will continue.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
no just no. advertising on beach. no no no. insult to injury. I'm so thankful for y'all who took a stand today. to see that on top of all the conundrum, wth? bud to nip, sharply.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
no just no. advertising on beach. no no no. insult to injury. I'm so thankful for y'all who took a stand today. to see that on top of all the conundrum, wth? bud to nip, sharply.

I anticipate that someone might say wouldn't you rather have a sign advertising beach services rather than row of empty chairs all day? I'd rather neither. the onion has many layers. next up: pedicures on beach signs?

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
With all the lighting it was scary out there yesterday but we had an amazing day on the beach. Thanks to all who support the customary use of our beaches. We will all be eagerly watching the Walton County Commissioners next move to pass the revised beach activities ordinance that will make the beach front homeowners remove the no trespassing/private beach signs, fences and ropes. Later this year they must pass a solid, defensible customary use ordinance. We applaud their efforts but they must not waver on this. The economic well being of our economy and our image as a civil place to live and visit is at stake. Since it appears the Commissioners won't vote on the Customary use ordinance until the fall we have lot's of time to prepare for another walk on the beach on a fine, clear fall day with no lightning is in sight. FB_IMG_1465084130260.jpg

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
So, how'd the protest go?

I bet about 8 or 9 people, including children actually showed up.

That accounts for about the same number of posters on SoWal that support the Trespass March.

The lightning definitely affected numbers. We had nearly 200 walkers planned to attend. When we do it again right before the County Commissioners actually vote on the Customary Use ordinance in the fall I expect we will have several hundred take the walk. Nothing like a gorgeous, dry, clear fall day for a walk on the beach with 500 of your best friends.

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 5.36.24 AM.jpg

In the mean time I will be working with beach front homeowners and locals to keep the pressure on the Commissioners to improve the enforcement of the beach activities ordinance. Some people are being slobs and behaving badly on our beaches we all need to come together and educate anyone and everyone that we don't tolerate bad behavior or activities on our beaches.

Last edited: