SWHS Looking for New Principal

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jdarg, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]From the WZEP home page- I heard about this a few weeks ago, but WZEP has it listed today.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Vacant - Principal, South Walton High School - to be advertised [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]David Preast - Assistant Principal - South Walton High School [/FONT]

2. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

I'm confused. I thought David Preast was going to be the new principal?

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

That's what I thought too. Not everyone subscribes to WZEP so I thought I would share the news. I am sure someone in the know will let us know the deal.

4. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Maybe wzep has old news and needs to be updated??

5. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

What happened to Mr. Ewing?

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Haven't seen official reports, but heard he will be working at the district office in DeFuniak. Maybe Mark Davis can let us know the latest plan for SWHS? I have heard some things, but started this thread so we can get some valid information, as I have not seen anything in the papers. Then again, I have been busy, so I might have missed an announcement.

7. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    The same report states that Mr. Ewing is now the Director of Special Programs and Services.

8. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Well the school board isn't the TDC so perhaps they'll actually do a search for a new Principal as opposed to just handing it to the next person.

9. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    The offices are shut down this week according to Ashely, who covers our school beat. Ewing was moved to the main office in DeFuniak. The scuttlebutt I hear is the principal from Freeport is a contender to be moved to SoWal, but that is not confirmed and as I said only scuttlebutt. :dunno:

They canceled the meeting that was supposed to be this week and held it last week according to Ashley as well. As soon as they open back up, we will get something put together with the changes for everyone.

There is an update on their budget in this week's edition of The Herald/ Breeze.

10. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Thanks Alicia- the news hit the kids' Facebook pages awhile as soon as school was out, then we heard nothing else.

11. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I just looked up something about the FCAT scores for Freeport and South Walton HS, and maybe I am reading them wrong, but why would we want to bring a leader in from a school whose grade as I read them are lower, and the grades at their current school are lower than what they were in 09. My opinion is I would rather have a principal who has been here and has seen the success from those he has worked under and continue to replicate that success.

12. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Oh and the first 2 principals have been excellent, Marissa and Mark deserve a lot of credit even though their style were different as I understand it.

13. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama

Maybe they will mirror the county commission and appoint an interim who will stay in the position for months before they make him permanent with no search or interviews.

14. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

The job has to be advertised for 10 days.

David Preast will be the principal and Charlie Morello will be the assistant principal.

15. derka

derka Beach Crab

Who is David Preast and where did he come from. I haven't heard great things about Ewing but know nothing about David Preast.

16. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

Mr. Preast is the current vice principal. I've had good experiences with him.

17. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

Ditto. I've also had good experiences with Mr. Preast. In addition to his duties as vice principal, he participated in the Walton County Chamber's leadership program. He is engaged with the whole community and has reached out to actively participate. If he is indeed the choice for principal of SWHS, I send best wishes and congratulations. Tough job. Long hours. Constant action. Everything that might go on in a community is reflected within the school walls and must be handled while focusing the students on the challenges of learning and opportunities to be their best. Most people could not handle this job.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010