• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lisa C

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Apr 16, 2011
Santa Rosa Beach
Update from today's TDC Advisory Council meeting...

To Each, Your Beach was not a done deal as it turns out. A new logo was presented (and approved) - Visit South Walton, Find Your Perfect Beach. Visit includes a call-to-action and the tagline portrays the essence of choice.

Other items submitted and approved by the Advisory Council include the Coop Strategy, Visitor's Guide, Sponsorships and Budget.

The TDC will also be eliminating the monthly newsletter known as "Edge" and sharing the Weekly Collection with the general public and not just bed tax collectors.

The Inlet Beach access which suffered extensive damage last week is also under repair and will be open again soon.

Not many attendees (only 3) so I thought I'd share...

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Update from today's TDC Advisory Council meeting...

To Each, Your Beach was not a done deal as it turns out. A new logo was presented (and approved) - Visit South Walton, Find Your Perfect Beach. Visit includes a call-to-action and the tagline portrays the essence of choice.

Other items submitted and approved by the Advisory Council include the Coop Strategy, Visitor's Guide, Sponsorships and Budget.

The TDC will also be eliminating the monthly newsletter known as "Edge" and sharing the Weekly Collection with the general public and not just bed tax collectors.

The Inlet Beach access which suffered extensive damage last week is also under repair and will be open again soon.

Not many attendees (only 3) so I thought I'd share...
Visit South Walton, Find Your Perfect Beach

Can't wait to see how it all looks, pulled together in a campaign! Now we're talking.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
For what it's worth when I first heard someone say "to each your beach" I asked what the hell does that mean? I honestly didn't have a clue :dunno:

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007

Why do we fret so over the TDC’s rebranding efforts? Bottom line is this is an effort to move usaway from the national media coverage of last year’s oil spill and that damned oiledpelican in Louisiana that kept showing up on the national media. The whole Gulf Coast was “tarred” with thatimage, and we need to change the image that has been used for the last 27years.

Get over it! Those ofus who live here know well where we are...but potential visitors may or may not. They’ve heard of Destin and they’ve heard ofPanama City Beach. The Beaches of SouthWalton ads have been out there…but it doesn’t trip lightly off the tongue likeDestin or PCB. I like the umbrella logoand sport the plates on all my cars and wear the polo shirts just about everyday. It doesn’t help that businessesin the Miramar area like to use Destin as their location, but they’re justtrying to give a face to the place. People can find Destin on the map, but our area is all unincorporatedcounty that doesn’t show up on a map. Nope,incorporation and another layer of taxation and bureaucracy is not the answer. We’ve got world-class fire, EMS, lawenforcement and utilities services down here without having the encumbrance ofanother layer of government.

There is a palpable difference as one drives into WaltonCounty from either Destin on the west or Panama City Beach on the east. Our Scenic Corridor codes have worked fairlywell since 1996. Some haven’t likedthem, but I would submit that those folks are not paying attention. You don’t have to have large garish signs ortall buildings to attract quality customers – quite the opposite. Granted, I don’t own a business down here,but throughout Spring Break and going into the season for the last fifteenyears there have been plenty of people out and about on the road and the 30A bikepath and along Scenic Gulf Drive – I drive through them every morning and everyevening as I go to work. They’ve got tobe staying somewhere down here. If they’renot buying your merchandise, then you’re not selling what they want. Figure it out and give them what they want…andwill spend money on.

For those who ***** about the amount of money spent by theTDC and complain about “our tax dollars”, I would ask, “When was the last timeyou rented a beach cottage for the weekend?” If you’re not renting a place for less than six months, you’re notpaying bed tax…and it’s not your tax dollars. The Tourist Occupancy Tax or BedTax as we know it is governed closely by Florida Statutes…the money can’t bespent for anything except that which is stipulated in state law. It can’t be used for police protection, roadsidecleanup, road paving, or other public works projects. It can only be used for MARKETING, beachnourishment, beach maintenance (including the accesses and parking lots), andsupporting the efforts of the Panama City Beach International Airport to bringin more tourists – who spend more money in our local businesses.

For those who ***** about accountability, transparency, andpublic input I can only say that all meetings of the TDC are publicmeetings. If it’s important to you, thenmake arrangements to attend and you’ll have a voice. Yes, they’re held during working hours, butthe members of the Tourist Development Council are also working people. They’re volunteers who give of their time tohelp make our area better. If it’simportant to you, it’s doubly important to them. If you absolutely can’t make it to themeetings, copy the following: dmoliterno@beachesofsouthwalton.com. Dawn will be happy to take your input andfactor it into the TDC’s deliberations. She’s a professional who’s doing a great job of heading up our TDC. Give her the opportunity, and I’ll guaranteethat she’ll give your viewpoint a fair hearing before the TDC. Youmay or may not agree with the answer, but it will be based in fact and realityof what the TDC can or cannot do according to law. If you don’t like the law, then get itchanged. There are avenues for that aswell.

Sorry for the fart in the church pew, but this discussionhas gone..and gone..and gone. It’s asimple thing. Let’s move on.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Please show the new logo on SoWal.com soon. Sounds much more promising than "To eat your beach" was. Glad somebody at TDC finally acknowledged they were listening to their constituents, not just looking at the research.

After all, New Coke tested great in research, and we know how that brand marketing turned out...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I like Litken's post. The argument about bed tax vs common tax I don't really buy though because bed tax is very important in how it is spent and benefits everyone if done correctly. And bed tax collectors are our friends and neighbors who work for us or employ us. They are the foundation of our economy.

I believe the TDC is headed in the right direction and they have conveyed to us that they want to be more transparent and welcome all input. Smiling Joe and Litken are making very good points. Make your voices heard here AND through formal methods. It is OUR county and OUR TDC. And make sure you have your facts straight.