• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ASRBeachBum

Beach Comber
Jan 13, 2017
30A
Holy crap these things are a HUGE nuisance. If you find yourself in a LONG train of cars moving 18 mph in a 35 zone you and be 100% certain there is an overloaded golf cart leading the parade. Very often, there is a clearly underage driver at the wheel. Is it the policy of the county is simply not care? I kind of understand golf carts being legal in 20 mph zones, but in the stretches that are 35 mph they are at best a horrible nuisance, at worst damn dangerous.

I don't get it. Tourist drives their car to the beach, parks it, then rents another car (cart). Then tosses the keys to their kid and tells them to have fun. Amazing stupidity.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
There have been quite a few threads about golf carts. And I agree with you.

For the record, apparently the only reason they were allowed was because one or more county commissioners have family in the rental business.
No community would ever consider allowing golf carts on public streets, especially major arteries and highways. Note that the "street legal" label is just a smoke screen.

Unfortunately we are about to see a huge wave of scooters, 3-wheel eyesores, mini carts, and tons more tourist trap type stuff.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Today in my GBTS neighborhood a bunch of kids threw firecrackers at an owner's family member while he was walking on the street. This is totally unacceptable behavior.
If you see people on golf carts doing stupid/ dangerous stuff ie. a 9 yr old driving on 30 A or in your neighborhood, etc ..try to snap a picture,get the license number and call the sheriff's non emergency number. They can follow up with the cart rental company to get rental information and they will follow up on the complaint with a ticket, removal of golf cart , or both. I've seen it happen in our neighborhood.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I don’t mind LSV’s because everyone I see is one less car on the road and that’s a plus. I have one for my neighborhood. It is equipped for the street, but I have never licensed it. I would like to see the county embrace them like Peachtree City did and help reduce road traffic.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
I don’t mind LSV’s because everyone I see is one less car on the road and that’s a plus. I have one for my neighborhood. It is equipped for the street, but I have never licensed it. I would like to see the county embrace them like Peachtree City did and help reduce road traffic.

The only way it can work here is if you do it like Peachtree City Georgia… 30A needs Dedicated golf cart paths...you can’t have both on the road! If you don’t drive your golf cart on 30A you must drive your car correct? Don’t tell me that you don’t get frustrated when there are 20 cars behind a golf cart going 15 miles an hour and don’t even talk about how many underage kids are driving these carts just out there joy riding in the neighborhood and on 30A..no seatbelts overloaded disaster waiting to happen and it does happen everybody just doesn’t hear about it I’m from Georgia I have friends who live in Peachtree city cars do not drive on the path and golf carts do not drive on the roads

Angelea

Beach Comber
Jun 16, 2014
There's a lot of rude, obnoxious car drivers too. I've been behind plenty of folks in vehicles going under 25 mph on 30A, on vacation, enjoying the view, etc. It doesn't matter what the method of transportation is, people will be people.

Thanks for sharing the video, PoppaJ! I'd like to see the speed limit lowered to 25 everywhere along 30A. As the numbers of pedestrians and cyclists increase on our paths, encouraging more use of LSVs and trolley/shuttle services instead of vehicles makes sense. I'd like to see more LSV specific parking by TDC and local businesses. If you are looking for speed, just hit a connector road to 98. For me, even as a resident, turning onto 30A is a momentary vacation...slow down, windows open, breathe in the fresh salty air.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
The only way it can work here is if you do it like Peachtree City Georgia… 30A needs Dedicated golf cart paths...you can’t have both on the road! If you don’t drive your golf cart on 30A you must drive your car correct? Don’t tell me that you don’t get frustrated when there are 20 cars behind a golf cart going 15 miles an hour and don’t even talk about how many underage kids are driving these carts just out there joy riding in the neighborhood and on 30A..no seatbelts overloaded disaster waiting to happen and it does happen everybody just doesn’t hear about it I’m from Georgia I have friends who live in Peachtree city cars do not drive on the path and golf carts do not drive on the roads
Uh, that’s why I posted the video. Do something similar here.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
There is no way it would work here. Not enough real estate. Some developers/land owners could find some way to put a couple of houses on the amount of land used for the "cart roads". The bike path here abuts right up next to private property lines along 30A.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
There's a lot of rude, obnoxious car drivers too. I've been behind plenty of folks in vehicles going under 25 mph on 30A, on vacation, enjoying the view, etc. It doesn't matter what the method of transportation is, people will be people.

Thanks for sharing the video, PoppaJ! I'd like to see the speed limit lowered to 25 everywhere along 30A. As the numbers of pedestrians and cyclists increase on our paths, encouraging more use of LSVs and trolley/shuttle services instead of vehicles makes sense. I'd like to see more LSV specific parking by TDC and local businesses. If you are looking for speed, just hit a connector road to 98. For me, even as a resident, turning onto 30A is a momentary vacation...slow down, windows open, breathe in the fresh salty air.
I read your 1st graph and agreed. Being stuck behind any vehicle )and bikes) going 10-25 mph is maddening.
But your 2nd graph contradicts. Our roads are highways not golf cart paths.
As for connector roads, many of those are used by golf carts also.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
They should be limited to neighborhood roads and to any connecting neighborhoods. Not on 30A. Seems simple enough to me. That's enough cruising. Our neighborhood has golf carts. neighborhood folks on either side, come over. No one is ever on the 45 mph road or the 30/35 mph road except to shoot across at the street. One of the neighborhoods has a golf course. Our golf cart/bikes/walking in the neighborhood. Mini Cooper for Louisville. Van for travel and tailgating. Ellen