I agree that those words are unfortunate. I guess these politicians have to alienate someone....they can't please all the people all the time. I wonder what Mr. Obama says to the groups of people that pay $10,000 a plate to see him? This is my last sticking point and I have felt bashed for worrying about where our money goes. I am thinking that if wealth is going to be spread around, I should at least get to choose who I will write the checks to.![]()
Good job, AleonardWell, plumber Joe seems to have some connections of his own as well as a few tax problems, already,

Why on earth are people railing against socialism only now? We've had a progressive tax system in this country for decades and decades, which I am completely against, but to act like all of a sudden socialism will be introduced if Obama is president?
For the low taxes crowd, of which I count myself, didn't McCain vote against the Bush tax cuts? So didn't he vote in favor of more income redistribution? Well, I know, now he says he wants those tax cuts. That's great. But this is my problem and one of the reasons I'm going to vote for Obama. A real economic conservative would have been against the Iraq War and for the Bush tax cuts.
I know what Obama believes and what he will try to do. And this is the key, he will actually be able to DO things because of the majorities in Congress. Does anyone think McCain is going to get the votes to make the tax cuts permanent? And furthermore, who's to say that's really what he wants to do? He claims to be an economic conservative, just like W. did....
Until I see an actual economic conservative, I'm considering it a myth and an endangered species. Since we're getting bigger government either way, I'm going with the guy who wants a big government to improve the lives of a majority of the people, instead of a guy who wants a big government to blow up Arabs and their children.
By the way if the Plumber is making 250k a year, which I doubt, he's doing a lot better than most people in this country. Should he be punished for that? No. Our tax sysetm is garbage. But until I see a real seriousness about a flat tax or a consumption tax or a system that would actually be fair in a real sense of the word from Republicans, I'm out. Maybe their utter failure this year will prompt a revolution of ACTUAL economic conservatism in the coming years. One can only hope.
McCain would be neck in neck with Obama if he was such a "maverick", because he would have voted against the bailout bill. Surprise! He didn't.
best post all day. thanks.
you know, we really do need a leader who isn't going to say "I'm cutting taxes"... we need a leader who can bring together the best and brightest in economics & econ theory who can evaluate exactly what kind of economic plan the country has to have right now and in the future. why does it have to be so politicized that we cannot even manage our country's economy because those politics get in the way and people are debating over things they don't understand like tax and spend, trickle down and wealth redistribution. people actually base their votes on misunderstood terms such as these. so scary that this important stuff gets boiled down to simple political issues. these are complex and deserve a lot more consideration.
I really do not want any candidate to tell me right now exactly what he's going to do with taxes or economics or the deficit or spending. I want a leader who can evaluate and identify solutions, via a logical process, using congress and the best and brightest economic scholars in the country, to make long term strategic plans.
I don't care what taxes or spending will be under the next administration as long as it is determined in a rigorous process that that plan is what is necessary and logicial for our economy and our progress as a country. I do not think this is too much to expect. I hope this is the change that is coming. Its real work and real leadership and tapping into the human resources of this country to help do this work.
The problem with Obama is that he will choose people who agree with his ideology and apply that over sound economic principals. McCain is the only candidate who's actually putting the people first here. Obama has an agenda, and he'll figure out some way to apply it even if it risks an economic recovery.
.Before this is over, we will know more about Joe than we care to.
Well, just heard a news speaker say that Joe is not even Joe. He is Samuel. Samuel J. I am guessing his middle name is Joe or Joseph. They are now calling him Sam the guy who works with pipes. Poor Joe.