• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I think the new washaway will be amazing! Can't wait to see how it looks when it's done.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
We purchased a lot in Grayton 20 yrs ago to build our retirement home. Used to love riding my bike thru Patrone's with my rescue golden mix following behind. It was peace on earth. My friend and I were actually staying in Grayton Duplex East when 9/11 happened. We don't even vacation in SoWal anymore. Sold the lot recently. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!
Thanks to Walton County BCC...... they must be so proud of RUINING YOUR DREAMS

lakeplace101

Beach Crab
Mar 15, 2021
Walton County
Looks like a complete rebuild to me with very little design effort to preserve its history and original scale. Should be a great rental house though, perfect for multiple families...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Is there an official source of history for the Washaway home? Would love to read more about it.

Edit
I found this info in the SoWal forum. This is from a previous CAA Valentine's Tour of Homes 2014.

A Grayton Tradition – “Washaway”
Located in the heart of Grayton Beach, this local treasure inspired many New Urbanism houses found along 30A today. Built in the late 1800's by Capt. Gray and later became the Coast Guard Headquarters for a cavalry unit during WWII, this home survived a major hurricane in 1926 but was almost washed away, as well as standing strong during Hurricane Eloise in the late 1970's and Opal in the fall of 1995. It is truly a Grayton treasure and centrally located in Old Grayton, ½ block west from the Red Bar restaurant.

p19u29kk932gcvm3vj4ftf140m1k.jpg

Last edited: