• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
They must have little building tentacles eveywhere- we are getting one of their developments too. Nobody can remember their company name, so everyone just calls them the "Seaside People." A few houses are up, but I haven't been over there yet- I'm still mourning the loss of one of the last big beautiful old farms in the county (I'm more into infill).

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
OH jdarg....cutest avatar yet!!!

I love the community thing as well. HMM and I have begun to think of our next move in Dallas and we keep thinking high rise (NO maintenance), but really what we are looking for is what we have here. Get out and WALK places, ride your bike places! It's good for you (NYC like) and you get to meet so many interesting people! You can probably tell that meeting people is one of my hobbies!

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Sueshore, I love to walk and bike places too--its all I did in Athens at UGA, I never had to get in my car for practically anything, except when I went home to mom and dad's house.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Cil said:
bsmart
You have probably already seen this site, but just in case:
New Urbanism
and also:
Urban Land Institute

I love the look of New Urbanism. I especially love the idea of a walkable community. The only thing I worry about is the fact many of these developments seem to be a gentrified haven for the wealthy, but I understand the reality of capitalism and that NU cannot address every last aspect of our country's already existing social problems.
In Denver the old (closed) airforce base has been completely transformed into a new community, with a real town center and diverse, mixed-income housing. It looks like it is going to work, and this is very exciting.
I think I've already mentioned here that my husband will be planning affordable housing for St Joe.

Same here. I like the idea of the need for defining natural barriers as a design principle, so that the community maintains a consistent and contained pattern of development--antisprawl. Seaside's is of course the GOM and to a lesser extent the conservation areas along the northern side of the the town.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
bsmart said:
Sueshore, I love to walk and bike places too--its all I did in Athens at UGA, I never had to get in my car for practically anything, except when I went home to mom and dad's house.

I think I told you my daughter is seriously thinking of graduate school at UGA. She is planning a trip with her girlfriend that is looking at med school at Emory. I bet she falls in love with Athens!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Dabell said:
Them same people that developed Seaside in FL is now developing a New town in Up State NY. Click here: Warwick Grove, NY ? traditional neighborhood development for active adults
www.warwick-grove.com

Won't their NY sales pitch conflict with Florida's sales pitch that every single "baby boomer" in creation will be FLOCKING to Florida to live out their golden years?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
DPZ is the planner for these communities, but they are NOT the developers. Each of these projects is owned by different, totally independent companies. Seaside is not developing in New York, but DPZ is working in other areas of the county.

DPZ is the pioneer of New Urbanism, but they are not developers. They are a firm that specializes in New Urban Planning and Architecture. Therefore, they are not the builders, developers, nor the money behind these different projects. The developers pay DPZ to plan their developments.

Just wanted to set everyone straight. There is no relationship between all these different projects except that they are planned by DPZ.

Shelly, as for marketing, if you were really as informed as you think you are, you'd know that one development has nothing to do with the other. DPZ does not market the developments they plan. The developers do the marketing--but a great way to market a project is to have it be a DPZ planned development.

Last edited: