"Thou Shall Not Steal"

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Magee, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Magee

Magee Beach Lover

"Thou Shall Not Steal "
    We all supposedly live by the Golden rule or the 10 Commandments. Either way, it is pretty well understood it is a crime to steal.

Every two years we have the pleasure of exercising our freedom by voting for individuals to represent us in different political offices. This is an expensive endeavor for the candidates, advertising gaining name recognition. This of course is the main concern of the candidate. Traditionally, here in Walton County, regardless of political affiliation the means to communicate with the local constituents is through political road signs. Contrary to popular belief, these political signs are not free and are quite expensive. Anywhere from costing an average of three to five dollars per sign.

It has never ceased to amaze me how self-proclaimed political activist, people who care for the community will go out and steal political signs placed on public right away, which are covered by Florida statute allowing politicians to place the signs. The same people who say that they are Christians and that they are trying to put the right person in office, when generally they are sending a very negative message to the public.

On Monday this past week on my Industrial Park property on Highway 20, which I am allowing all Republicans to display their political sign I witnessed a black car pull up onto my property, not the runaway, and steal all of Miss Hutchison's signs. (She is running for school superintendent). It was later brought to my attention that all her signs were stolen off Highway 20 to include Hwy. 331. Yes, we do have a description of the car, the individual, and part of the tag. I have to make a decision at this point whether to turn it over to the sheriff's department because this is a felony offense.

As Past Chairman of the Walton County Republican Party, I have been known to go out and straighten everyone political signs regardless of party affiliation. (I will be doing it again this year). This is the best economical way for a candidate to get his or her name recognition. In all fairness, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

The irony is this person stealing the signs think they are helping someone win when the public hears of this they starts to wonder if the individual they are trying to help is not behind the stealing of the signs, I would like to believe NOT.

So let us all live by the Golden rule or the 10 Commandments – “Thou Shall Not Steal”.

2. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Great post and absolutely true! People who steal campaign signs should be fined if caught. They appear once every two years, at most, and Magee is right about the name recognition issue. One more thing. If my memory serves me correctly, candidates are required to pick up signs by a certain time after the election. This, I believe, is a county ordinance. Magee, by all means, notify the sheriff. The individual not only stole but they also committed criminal trespass. If I put a sign on our property, I would expect it to remain there until removed by me. This should apply to everyone.

3. RTR

RTR Beach Comber

stealing signs for school superintendent? these are the type of people that will consistently do the wrong thing in life right in people's faces because they think what they are doing is not really a big deal. they do not feel bad about it in any way, a sorry individual indeed.

4. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Definitely turn this person in!

5. bayboy

bayboy Beach Crab

A candidate I support put signs between Freeport and Choctaw Beach on hwy 20 just a few days ago. Yesterday I checked and they are all gone, obviously stolen.

I don't know about down south but north of the bay you can tell who has big money behind them just from the number of signs. The two top sign guys are actually some of the least qualified for commissioner seats.

Attend forums, look at candidate websites, ask questions, and look long and hard before you decide. Not enough voters so this sort of thing but it's very important.

6. ricky bobby

ricky bobby Banned

In the 2008 elections it's interesting to note that more than one incumbent received thousands in campaign contributions from an individual who was investigated and indicted for stealing, although the charges were dropped. I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about people who take money from developers with an agenda.

7. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

Agreed!

8. waltonresident

waltonresident Beach Comber

Please come and talk about this at our next meeting. Tonight Bob Hudson speaks at 6:00 pm
    [h=2]At NWFSC. South Walton Campus in Room 119 each Tuesday from July 10th through Aug 7th[/h]http://www.waltoncountycitizens.com/

9. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Let me think about this now. Who would steal Ms. Hutchison's campaign signs? Do you suppose it might be somebody who supports Mrs. Anderson?