• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PearlSB4U

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2010
Millions of sooty sea hares at 6pm between Draper Lake & Ed Waline Park.

The literally millions that were there 8/31 were gone 9/1. Only saw a few between Draper Lake & Ed Waline Park. Close-in water was still dark purple though. Interesting phenomenon.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I saw them this morning from Grayton Beach to the State Park access- not very many though. They are really cool looking.

Water was clear except for where Western Lake is open and running out at a pretty good clip.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I saw them this morning from Grayton Beach to the State Park access- not very many though. They are really cool looking.

Water was clear except for where Western Lake is open and running out at a pretty good clip.

I love when that happens! but some may think the brackish fresh/sea water is polluted (or oil:roll:). it was really rushing out on Grayton Beach during the 4th of July weekend, just when we were freaking out about the oil spill and I wondered if some visitors got the wrong idea about the dark water running along the shore from the lake.

the coastal lakes are magical!

seems like we hear sea slug reports around here about this time of year. I could do without them but I thank them for their hard work and efforts, and I'm sure we need 'em around at least now and then.

Aleigh

Beach Lover
So um are they mating or just munching on the sea grasses?

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
So um are they mating or just munching on the sea grasses?

When optimum conditions are met they proliferate. Sea Slug Palooza!

megawisdumb

Beach Comber
Jun 16, 2009
Ok then there is a serious orge going on with da slugs at the public access at Dune Allen near the golf clubs. None appear to be using any protection....

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
One was keeping me company in the water yesterday, just floating, may not have been alive. Saw 2 or 3 along the sand this morning walking, didn't appear to be moving when I touched them so they probably were dead.

mis wah

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2010
Sea Slug Kill

I went for a walk yesterday morning on the beach. I was in front of Sand Cliffs condos(east 30A) and saw Thousands of "Sea Slugs" atleast thats what I am calling them. They looked similar to a regular slug but much larger and fatter. After washing up on the beach they became very stinky and were leaking purple fluid. Does anyone know if this is common and what they are?:dunno:

I heard about this from a friend this morning. They said it was pretty much the length of old 98. Your email confirms the occurrence. So now why?

N

nannypat

dead slugs on the beaches

i'm new to this site but not new to the area. i've worked the beaches in housekeeping for over 12 years and have never seen what I see now. I presently work to clean up the oil[tar balls].Yesterday we were at camp henderson and YES there are tarballs up close to the dune line which is roped off to keep people from getting on the dunes. They are all over the surface and small but we dug down some and they get bigger.You guess how they got that far up--I have my own ideas.In July they found lare globs around the outflows around deer lake.a couple weeks ago at the dune allen area.But when I saw all the sugs[dead]and green stuff arond the crab trap and pompano joes I became more upset than I already was.there's also some dry brown crusty stuff that is green and frothy looking underneath everywhere.I'm not fond of crawly slimy thins but i stood there and watched a slug lift it's head up "look around" laid it back down and died. I wanted to cry.No this isn't right and by NO means is it normal.I've talked to several people who have lived here forever and they've never seen anything like it.i feel like we are just accepting it and if we turn our heads it will just go away. personally--i think it is a sign----just the beginning and the worst is yet to come.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
You think the slugs reproduced like crazy then died because of the oil spill?