• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tony4sheriff

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2008
Good Afternoon

First I would like to say thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share this time with you and to tell you a little about myself and my plans for the sheriff’s office.

I would like to start by saying I am a Walton County native. I was born and raised in Walton County. I spent my first 28 years living, going to school and working right here in Walton County. My wife of 24 years, Joni was also born and raised in Walton County. We have one son who is set to graduate from GCCC this summer and plans on attending FSU in the fall majoring in business. And of course I can’t forget our family pet of 15 years a miniature schnauzer named NAKU.

I have over 25 years of work experience in law enforcement. That experience includes corrections, patrol, investigations and management. My law enforcement service began in 1982 as a Deputy Sheriff right here in Walton County. I worked with the Sheriff’s Office for many years and later accepted a job with the State of Florida’s Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, an accredited State law enforcement agency. One of the toughest decisions I had to make involved leaving the Sheriff’s Office. It is never easy to leave home and everything familiar to you, but I wanted to broaden my law enforcement education and experience. The State of Florida gave me that opportunity. I have gained valuable experience working as part of that team all over the state of Florida. I have experience working with a multitude of agencies to achieve a goal. And that goal should be the same of every law enforcement officer– Make this county and State a safer place to live, work and visit. In 1994 I was among the first formally recognized Field Training Officers for my current agency. That aspect of my job took me around the State training and evaluating other law enforcement personnel. Being a FTO gave me supervisory experience and played an important part in my career. I have been promoted twice, and now serve as Law Enforcement Lieutenant. As Lieutenant, I manage, direct and lead employees and operations on a daily basis. I am responsible for personnel, office budget oversight, enforcement operations, administrative operations and licensing functions for seven counties including Walton.

During my law enforcement career I have attended thousands of hours of advanced training in Management and Supervision, Organized Crime, Undercover Operations, Drug ID and Investigations, Law Enforcement Instructor Certification, Law Enforcement Ethics and Incident Command System for Managers of Major Incidents just to name a few.

I have also received numerous awards and commendations during my law enforcement career including:

Ÿ Two time recipient of the State of Florida’s Distinguished Service Award
Ÿ Eight time recipient of the State of Florida Certificate of Recognition for providing diligent investigative effort and exhibiting extraordinary devotion to duty.
Ÿ Five time recipient of the State of Florida Certificate of Appreciation for dedication, professionalism, and service in protecting the lives and properties of the citizens of Florida.
Ÿ Recipient of the MADD award for progressive investigations to stop sales of alcoholic beverages to underage persons.
Ÿ Recently received a leadership award and was inducted into the Who’s Who Among Prevention Leaders, by the State of Florida, Office of Drug Control.
Ÿ Under my supervision, the Panama City Beach Office received outstanding service awards for productivity and efficiency which included being named the most efficiently operated office in the Northern Region.

I have served as the Incident Commander for many large scale operations. Planning, directing and controlling law enforcement operations involving over 50 law enforcement personnel have given me great insight into working with other agencies and staying within budget limitations.

I have also been assigned to the division’s Policy Review Committee, whose function involves writing and reviewing policies and procedures. This is an important component of Law Enforcement Accreditation – A process I want to bring to the Sheriff’s Office. The employees and citizens deserve a fully accredited Sheriff’s office.

During my career I have had the fortunate opportunity to work with many law enforcement agencies throughout The Great State of Florida. I have learned that agencies adapting the “Community Policing Model” are more successful. By that I mean those agencies that get their communities involved, keep them informed and encourage and accept their input and suggestions are successful. Support of the community is not a luxury. It is a necessity. I want everyone to understand a Sheriff is a representative of the people. No successful Sheriff stands alone.

Under my administration I promise that the citizens of Walton County will be “Partners” with the Sheriff’s Office. You will be treated with a “HOW CAN WE HELP YOU” attitude, and that attitude will extend from top to bottom. I will use my exceptional work ethic, dedication to my profession and experience to implement meaningful change in your Sheriff’s Office and set priorities and goals for my administration.

Some of those are:

WALTON COUNTY SHERIFF"S OFFICE AND THE SHERIFF WILL BE ACCESSIBLE TO ALL THE CITIZENS.

Ÿ I PROMISE to have an open door policy and be accessible to all of our citizens and ensure your Sheriff’s Office is responsive.

Ÿ I PROMISE to have quarterly town hall meetings in different communities throughout WaltonCounty so that I can meet with members of the communities and discuss their needs and concerns.

Ÿ I PROMISE to have office days each week in different areas of the county to increase accessibility and service.

Ÿ I PROMISE to make the operation of the Sheriff’s Office transparent and understandable. The public will be kept informed and updated on matters affecting the Sheriff’s Office and the citizens we serve.

Ÿ I PROMISE fair, honest and equitable treatment for all.

REORGANIZE WALTON COUNTY SHERIFF"S OFFICE TO MAKE THE BEST POSSIBLE USE OF PERSONNEL AND RESOURCES.

Ÿ I PROMISE Sheriff’s Office personnel will have the training, education and experience necessary to be effective in their positions.

Ÿ I PROMISE Sheriff’s Office personnel will keep and maintain training levels and certifications necessary for their positions. New policing trends and techniques will be evaluated and embraced.

Ÿ I PROMISE to ensure that the Walton County Sheriff’s Office makes use of the many grants available for law enforcement to aid in the funding for special enforcement activities.

Ÿ I PROMISE to utilize available resources to create a warrants division that will aggressively pursue those who have managed to escape apprehension. Justice delayed is justice denied. We will work tirelessly to clear this backlog.

WALTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE WILL HAVE AN UNSURPASSED WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER AGENCIES AND DEPARTMENTS.

Ÿ I PROMISE to develop and advance meaningful relationships with other county and city agencies and entities. The Sheriff’s Office conducts business with many diverse groups and all will be treated with respect and compassion.

BUILD AND MAINTAIN A QUALITY PROFESSIONAL TEAM SO THAT THE SHERIFFS OFFICE WILL BE POSITIONED TO PROVIDE THE FINEST LAW ENFORCEMENT AND SERVICE AVAILABLE ANYWHERE.

Ÿ I PROMISE to create a climate that encourages employees to continue their service to the Citizens of Walton County.

? I PROMISE to create a climate that encourages and recognizes employee excellence, innovation and personal growth.

? I PROMISE to provide and encourage participation in staff development opportunities relevant to job duties and that provide knowledge of their assigned mission.

I will work to implement a quarterly training program with all emergency response agencies including Police, Fire, and Medical. This will allow us to train together so when we experience an emergency response we will know and understand the roles of each responder.

I also want to move Walton County toward an active involvement in the arena of Homeland Security. This will give us the availability of more federal funds to help make our county and surrounding area a more safe and secure area for all of our citizens and visitors.

As said before I would like to move the Walton County Sheriff’s Office toward an accreditation process. This will help in advancing the operations of the Sheriff’s Office and bringing Walton County to the forefront in providing professional law enforcement service. Walton County deserves nothing less.

I thank you for your time and please remember to get out and vote on August 26, 2008 and any vote for TONY CORNMAN for Sheriff will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tony4sheriff

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2008
Sorry for the format of the posting. Don't know what happened. I created the document in word, copied it and then posted it on sowal and it came out a little different in a few spots.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
Tony your getting sleepy, sleepy...now remember what I say, your going to remember S-H-A-L-L-O-W-S-F-U-Z-Z:rotfl:

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I had the opportunity to meet Tony Cornman and discuss his history/experience in the years of his professionalism. He portrayed a sincere and eager attitude concerning changes for the good and best interest of Walton County.

Plus he promises to meet "in person" with the people!

He gets my vote..................:clap:

Good Luck

FLSentinel

Beach Comber
May 9, 2008
Tony you sound a little arrogant in your resume. I hear also that you don't live in Walton County. I think that is a little arrogant also. What are you thinkin'? I don't mean to be rude, help me understand where you are coming from. How many years did you work for the Walton County Sheriff's Office?

tony4sheriff

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2008
FLSentinel

Sorry if you took my posting as being arrogant, it definitely was not intended that way. If you knew me personally you would know that I in no way intended for it to be taken as arrogant. I do feel it is very important for me to inform the people of my background, experience, things I?ve accomplished during my career as well as my plans for the sheriff?s office if elected. For your question about my employment with the sheriff?s office, that service began in 1982 and continued until 1988. Currently I do not live in Walton County but just over the Bay County line in Panama City Beach where I am the district supervisor for my current agency. I manage all operations of that office for seven counties including Walton. Florida election law allows for you to run for a constitutional office as long as you are a registered voter in Florida. The residency requirement begins the day you assume office. As said before I was born and raised in Walton County. I lived, worked and went to school in Walton County for the first 28 years of my life and believe that is more time spent in Walton County than most all the other candidates. My wife is also a Walton County native. We both have many family members currently living in Walton County. We have our home for sale in Panama City Beach and have been house shopping in Walton County. Win or loose the election our plans are to move back to Walton County where we both have deep family ties. I would love the opportunity to sit down with you and further discuss my candidacy, qualifications and plans. If that is something that you are open to please let me know by emailing me at tjcornman@gmail.com or contacting me at 850-527-8139. Thanks again for time and have a great weekend.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:welcome: Tony and thanks for a wonderful introductory post. You are a breath of fresh air.

FLSentinel

Beach Comber
May 9, 2008
Tony- Thanks for responding, but you still didn’t help me to understand. If you live in Bay County you should run for Sheriff in Bay County. People move. Your home is where you raise your children, where you pay your taxes, and where your heart is. If your heart is not in Bay County move out and then run for office. No matter how many times I go over it in my head, there is something wrong with living in a different county and running for a county office in another county. It’s just a red flag for me. I know it’s too late for you to back out now, just be careful with the guidelines. Mr. Burke, who sat on the South Walton Mosquito Control Board, seems to have gotten himself into a tight stop by allegedly living in Bay County and holding office in Walton County. If you want to run for office in a county, you should live in that county first to understand the people, know first hand what their needs are. Walton County is constantly changing in demography. It is the best place to live. No, I wasn’t born here, but I have lived here for many years. This is my home.