Tuberville agrees to contract extension
Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times December 04, 2007 5:14 PM
Categories: Football
NEW YORK - After meeting with athletics director Jay Jacobs here Tuesday, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said he has agreed to a two-year contract extension.
"We are excited about it," Tuberville told reporters who followed him here for National Football Foundation Hall of Fame festivities. "It's one of those things where we worked it slow. I know people have been anxious. I haven't been looking at any other jobs and don't want another job. I love Auburn.
"We want to be at Auburn a long time, as long as we can be there. Good things happen slow, and we are excited about it."
The decision ended weeks of speculation. Tuberville's name had been prominently mention for head coaching jobs at Texas A&M and at Arkansas.
Tuberville, who said Monday making sure his assistants are happy was his main concern, said Tuesday they are happy.
"I wanted to make sure our coaches were comfortable, and they are," Tuberville said. "They are excited about it. I've been working with some of them on looking at other jobs. I feel good about the things for them."
Any raises or contracts for the assistant coaches or facilities upgrades, things Tuberville had talked about leading up to the agreement, are not part of the contract.
The agreement extends Tuberville's contract to six years and will pay him at least $19.8 million over the life of the contract, an average of $3.3 million per year. It guarantees him a $200,000 raise each year. The buyout - the amount Tuberville would have to pay to leave and Auburn would have to pay to fire him - will be $6 million in 2008, $5 million in 2009 and $4 million from 2010 through 2013.
See Thursday's Huntsville Times for more details.