• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tuberculosis Case (TB)

New posts
Why didn't he at least use a TB mask? The CDC shoulda highly recommended that don't ya think? A lot of people wear masks for various reasons. Was it vanity? Too embarassing to wear a mask...:doh:

Did you read this quote from Andy Speaker, "It seems it was just more convenient to use the road than to take the extra time to drive safely," when refering to a bus driver? Maybe it was just more convenient for him to not wear the mask. (He hasn't said so, but since he knew that the only way to get to Denver was to sneak back into the USA, he probably didn't want to draw any attention wearing the mask. Maybe if he was wearing the mask, the border guard would have acted as he should have and detained Mr Speaker.)
 
Learned alot from this thread. I have never had my kids tested for tb, curious at what age you guys started this? I will request it at physicals from now on.
My son's pediatrician tests annually, for which we are very thankful and lucky.

We still will never know where he contracted it. Even the dr. and the pediatric infectious diseases dr's. were completely stumped. They said that this was probably only 1 of a few cases in NW suburban Chicago of a child contracting TB; that hadn't just moved here from India (This is a metropolitan area with a multitude of foreigners moving in daily.) Especially since this is considered a more upscale area - - their term, not mine. It might make more sense if we lived in a poor inner city area. In case anyone is wondering if it was a false positive, it wasn't. The infectious diseases doc at one of the top pediatric hosp. in Chicago made sure of that.

It is a very simple test and almost pain free.
 
Did he have to take meds for a long time or be on isolation? How old was he then? Did he get any permanant lung damage? One of my gulls was diagnosed with SCLE at 15. When the pediatrician said the word Lupus it kinda freaked us out too. :wacko: We thought it was sun poisoning on her cheeks. :confused: Turns out it is the topical skin type. She gets a red butterfly rash across her cheeks from sun exposure. Naturally, she loves the sun and being outside. :wub: She takes meds for flare ups and wears 35 everyday.
 
Last edited:
Did he have to take meds for a long time or be on isolation? How old was he then? Did he get any permanant lung damage? One of my gulls was diagnosed with SCLE at 15. When the pediatrician said the word Lupus it kinda freaked us out too. :wacko: We thought it was sun poisoning on her cheeks. :confused: Turns out it is the topical skin type. She gets a red butterfly rash across her cheeks from sun exposure. Naturally, she loves the sun and being outside. :wub: She takes meds for flare ups and wears 35 everyday.
No isolation as his TB was not active when discovered (that's the key to it being contagious which usually remains latent & develops many years later). Nothing showed up on the mandatory lung xray. Everyone figured he had to have contracted it w/in the year from the previous TB test at his annual pediatrician check up. But he DID have to take the daily meds for 9 or 10 mos. never missing a day. THAT worried me because of the possible liver damge but it was one damaging disease against another. We didn't have any choice.

He was 9 yrs. old.

I know all about lupus - - sort of dealing with that right at the moment. When I thought several weeks ago that I might have that torn meniscus in my knee, well they're all thinking its lupus (I feel like I have torn joints all thru my body, not just the knee). Going to the rheumatologist in July and getting some prednisone tomorrow, hopefully.

I wish your daughter well. Lupus can be managed very well. The skin type is fairly common. My SIL has that and watches the sun exposure.
 
Dern I wish you well too gull. I hope you get the best specialist available, and are able to get your pain under contriol right away. Prayers are comin' your way :wub:
My gull is now 22 and takes Plaquenil for her skin lupus and topicals.
Is that your cute son in your 'tar? The links were very good in this thread about TB. Glad his doc was on the ball. :cool: I'll pray that you have the same luck.
 
Dern I wish you well too gull. I hope you get the best specialist available, and are able to get your pain under contriol right away. Prayers are comin' your way :wub:
My gull is now 22 and takes Plaquenil for her skin lupus and topicals.
Is that your cute son in your 'tar? The links were very good in this thread about TB. Glad his doc was on the ball. :cool: I'll pray that you have the same luck.
Yes, that is Collin with his cello on his back. :wub: I'll be fine as soon as I can get an infusion of some prednisone. I'm familiar with plaquenil, too. Thanks for positive thoughts. Good luck to your daughter!
 
Thanks, Jr. Kinda funny, my gull, Tara, also plays the cello. :D
Thank goodness no one has tested positive so far from Speaker. I heard they have to be retested in 2 months also. Tara is in Rome right now with her art class from MTSU. They fly back tomorrow. I'm thankful cuz she flew out a month ago but was on different dates than Speaker :blink:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top