• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larue

Beach Crab
Mar 22, 2008
Even though I'm just thinking about buying a vacation property in this area, reading this thread compelled me to join the forum.

Bottom line: YOU DON"T BUILD A HOUSE WITHOUT A VAPOR BARRIER.

It doesn't matter where you live.....tropical storms or hurricanes as mentioned by gaiboi aren't the cause....gaiboi, if you had gone with your father on a few jobs during his 18 years of contracting you might be aware of this fact.....if vapour barrier isn't present you will have moisture!!!

The comments about the general contractor blaming a sub are also completely invalid. I've had multiple homes built....the role of the general is to make sure the subs do their job correctly!

Yippee, I'm sorry for the issues you're having. I know a family in my area going through the same thing......sick family members etc....

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
The comments about the general contractor blaming a sub are also completely invalid. I've had multiple homes built....the role of the general is to make sure the subs do their job correctly!

YOU BET THAT IS CORRECT.

Now this is going to make a few people angry, and I sincerely do NOT want to do that, however, my best advise is don't buy anything that is already built and if you chose to build, be here during the entire process so you can watch. (But PLEASE PURCHASE YOUR PROPERTY FROM ONE OF OUR MANY SOWAL REALTORS!)

Someone mentioned a building inspector, which is always a great idea, however, unless they look in the right place, there may be areas that badly need attention. My problem could have been missed by an inspector.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
YOU BET THAT IS CORRECT.

Now this is going to make a few people angry, and I sincerely do NOT want to do that, however, my best advise is don't buy anything that is already built and if you chose to build, be here during the entire process so you can watch. (But PLEASE PURCHASE YOUR PROPERTY FROM ONE OF OUR MANY SOWAL REALTORS!)

Someone mentioned a building inspector, which is always a great idea, however, unless they look in the right place, there may be areas that badly need attention. My problem could have been missed by an inspector.

Sorry to be devil's advocate, but let's play that out: I build my house, supervising every detail. 10 years later, we decide to move away--job, family, whatever. But nobody's going to buy my house, since it's already built?

What happened to you is sad, but it doesn't mean that every builder or building inspector is corrupt or incompetent.

I had a friend who was in a similar experience--toxic mold in a condo, under the floors and in the walls. They fought it in court for a long time and finally lost. It was in his wife's name, and she had to declare bankruptcy over it--they simply lost all the money they put in the home. Just like the people in New Orleans who lost everything.

At some point you have to accept that what happened was wrong, you were treated badly, and you have a lingering illness. It's bad, and we're all sorry. But I pray that you will look it in the face and decide to move on. I hope that you are compensated at some point, but if you are not, please devote the energy you are now using to dwell on this to healing and moving forward.

All the best to you.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Sorry to be devil's advocate, but let's play that out: I build my house, supervising every detail. 10 years later, we decide to move away--job, family, whatever. But nobody's going to buy my house, since it's already built?

I agree with you. For myself, I will never purchase a house here unless I can watch it being built because what is happening to me. Like I have said before, one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. And in my eyes, this one has done that. All builders should be pissed off at this.

What happened to you is sad, but it doesn't mean that every builder or building inspector is corrupt or incompetent.

I never said that. Please re-read my statement. I didn't say ANY inspector was either or corrupt or incompetent. - This was my statement -

"Someone mentioned a building inspector, which is always a great idea, however, unless they look in the right place, there may be areas that badly need attention. My problem could have been missed by an inspector."

As for your friend, I cannot comment. I do not know if it was a builders defect or anything else about their circumstances.

As for the people in New Orleans, I really don't think there is any comparison with this situation and the one over there except I don't have a city, government or anyone else to assist me in the expenses, or to purchase my remaining property. Many or most of them have had that luxury. I have friends who were plucked off their roof in New Orleans East and am pretty knowledgeable about the situation over there. In fact, he lost everything and has come out a lot better than I have!

you were treated badly
AND CONTINUE TO BE TREATED BADLY BY THE WAY THE BUILDER IS HANDLING THE SITUATION.

It's hard to "move on" when you are continuing to be drained of everything you have by a builder who will not stop the bleeding by trying to end the situation.

Had you read the entire thread, you would see that is exactly what I want to do, move on, but the builder continues to allow this to continue by the unethical and unprofessional way they continue to let this go on.

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
It has come to my attention that the builder of my home is telling people and has told a number of people that I turned down an offer either from them or their insurance company.

For the record, that is a complete lie. Neither me, nor my attorney have ever received any type of settlement offer from either the builder or his insurance company, nor have we turned any such settlement down. NO offer has ever been made.

We offered them a settlement offer in the fall, however, they never responded at all. They didn't even have the courtesy to turn it down. They just ignored the offer we gave them.

It seems the builder is a bit out of touch or confused.

My only response to this damning bit of incorrect information to the builder is produce the documentation. You can't because there is none. There is no offer and there never has been.

And the builder is simply lying. possibly in an attempt to make me look like the unreasonable one?

I am not unreasonable in what I am asking for. I wanted him to simply fix the defect and have a safe home to live. Had he done that..... broken record.

Status
Not open for further replies.