Visiting dogs to be allowed on SoWal Beaches?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Kurt Lischka, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Just Curious

Just Curious Beach Fanatic

Try talking to the Commissioners; they might reconsider their vote. It's worth a shot.

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

The original dog ordinance was highly contentious - like it or not it was a sign of progress and growth. More people, more dogs, more problems. In effect, it was a "problem dog" law. It gave the WCSO a way to deal with mean dogs.

More dogs = More problems = More tourists?

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Great. I can't let my daughter ride her bike in my neighborhood because nobody leashes their dam* dogs. It looks like now I have to put up with even more dogs running loose on the beach.:bang: Nothing like sitting in your beach chair, and out of nowhere BAM there is a wet sandy dog rubbing up against you and shaking all over your stuff, and the dog's owner is completely oblivious or thinks Fido is so cute.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I'm reading on here that people don't like that people break the rules, and let their dogs run on the beach. That seems to be confused with thinking that the only people who do this are tourists. I see plenty of dogs on the beach, and most belong to locals. The majority are not on a leash, or at least not held by the human with the dog. Yesterday, a sweet, wet, old local dog walked over to my clean dry towel with his leash held in his mouth (not held by the owner), and covered my towel in wet sand. No big deal really, because the dog was just trying to say hi to me. However, I would have more respect for other people if that were my dog. I like dogs more than I need a clean towel, but I'm not your average Joe, and somebody is likely to freak out on the dog owner.

Especially on the beach, but in all public areas, people should clean up the poop of their pets. There is little excuse for not doing so. However, forcing someone to buy a permit, will not make any pet owner more responsible. Doing so will not make them clean the poo, nor leash their dogs. Also, I think it is about stupid that we have allowed the government to con us into believing that we need a permit to walk our dog ANYWHERE. If all dog owners were following the basic rules of courtesy and picking up their dog's poo and keeping them on leash so that they don't disturb other beach goers, we wouldn't be concerned about whether or not they had a permit. It is not the permit with which we should be concerned -- It is the behavior of the dog owner that should concern us.

Regarding the BCC blindsiding us, I think you are right. There was even a County representative who posted on SoWal.com to announce that the dog permit and beach vehicle permit were solely about how one would show proof of ownership before obtaining a permit. At the BCC meeting, it was thrown in that at the urging of one person, dog permits should not be excluded to local residents only. The twist is that for the item on the agenda just prior to this one, it was stated by Grant B. that we needed to REDUCE the number of beach permits for vehicles. Limiting nor expanding of permits, dogs or vehicles, was never on the agenda to be discussed for public opinion.

Just remember, that if the dog owners who bring their dogs to the beach, follow the existing rules, all of the "dog problems" noted in the many posts above, wouldn't be an issue. Permits or no permits, behavior won't change. People are people.

5. Just Curious

So I did some research, and the BCC approved the changes to the ordinance at the Sept. 8th meeting, but allowing visiting dogs to be eligible to receive permits was not part of them. It was an idea that was brought up, but was not included in the vote. I'm not sure the source of the news article, but according to what I found out today we all got worried about something that never happenned.

6. Kurt Lischka

The Defuniak Herald ? OFFICIALS TAKE UP BEACH DRIVING AND DOG PERMITS

7. Just Curious

yeah, I know where you got the information from, but It doesn't actually say that it was approved, and when I talked with the county today and read the ordinance it doesn't say anything about visiting dogs.

8. Kurt Lischka

I appreciate you following up. Please post what you find out.

It does say "soon" so I suppose it is not quite final.

9. Chip and Dale

Chip and Dale Beach Lover

We found a couple of Pampers once. Must have been one pampered pooch? :D

10. LOCAL 32550

LOCAL 32550 Banned

dos without permits and leashes

All I can say now is that the sheriff should start enforcing the rules for dogs on the beach they just drive by once in a while and say nothing
    I think they need to patrol the beach a little more especially in the evening when I see all kinds of dogs on the beach and most of them are without a leash they come at my dogs which are on a leash and permitted!!! If my dog hurts there's well sorry guess you need to put yours on a leash I have 2 Chows that are very loveable they are out on the beach everyday but I can't help when a dog not leashed comes running agressively towards them they need to defend themselves.
    I wish the SHERIFF would do the job we pay them for !!!

11. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

Visiting dogs

Kurt, thanks for your interest in my article that mentioned beach permits for "visiting dogs." From the discussion and action at the Sept. 8 county commission meeting, I had the impression that the commissioners had decided to move forward with these permits, with details to be worked out later, and others I spoke with at the meeting also thought so. The commissioners did have a written proposal before them at that meeting to amend an ordinance in order to provide for issuance of visiting dogs permits. However, this week I checked with the county commission chair and the tax collector's office, and the official word is, as Just Curous had said, the visiting dogs permit proposal was not part of what the commissioners approved at that public hearing. I would respectfully disagree with the proposal being characterized as just an idea, but it appears that it is not being pursued, at least for now. I'm working on an update for next week's Beach Breeze, and I'll do my best to keep readers abreast of this topic, which seems to be of great interest to south Walton residents and visitors. Your thread title was a little "forward looking," as the St. Joe folks say (and I guess my article could be termed so also), so I'm requesting either a new thread or a revision to the thread title if my post is merged with the former thread.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Front page of the this week's Beach Breeze- "Visiting Dog" permit issue on hold-- Dotty Nist's followup article.

13. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

I truly hope our beaches are not reopened to all dogs. The current property owner or permanent resident language was reached as a compromise between folks who stated they moved here just so they could take their dogs on the beach (oh, please...) and banning dogs altogether. I have NEVER seen angrier people than I did at that meeting over a decade ago.

What I can't figure out is why none of the other local counties allow dogs on their beaches, nobody questions that, and it's not a problem. Let Walton County try to maintain respectable, sanitary beaches and we get skewered.

14. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

If you are going to allow dogs on the beach, the County better be prepared to supervise their owners. I am a local who walks the beach almost daily year round and just about every dog I encounter on the beach (and I see LOTS of them) is running unsupervised off the leash. It's an accident waiting to happen and have had some close calls myself. Not to mention they are never prepared for clean up either. Of course there are exceptions but that is not what I observe.

15. Kurt Lischka

The Defuniak Herald ? “VISITING DOG” PERMIT ISSUE ON HOLD

16. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I agree it's certainly rare to see a dog ON a leash at the beach. But since I love dogs and let the scooterhounds off their leashes in places I am not supposed to so they can have more funn it doesn't really bother me.

It's the poo I have an issue with - nothing ruins a nice sunset view like a dog walking up, squatting and taking a giant dump! And it's certainly not pleasant when it's floating in the waves when I am trying to have a nice walk along the shore! :bang:

17. Just Curious

The last time this came before the BCC they approved an ordinance, and it did not include allowing visiting dogs on the beach.

18. Foodlover

Foodlover Beach Fanatic

I understand the frustration when people do not pick up after their dogs and the danger if there are unruly dogs off of leashes at beaches that are not specifically dog beaches. However, I really wish we had one beach where dogs could be off-leash under owners supervision - a specific beach for dogs. There are places in the US that have have "dog beaches". Does anyone know if these types of off leash dog beaches are working or if there are problems with them?

19. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    "Visiting dogs." :floor:
    I've been meaning to comment about this.

Rental Company: Hello.

Dog: I am a standard poodle and need a one-bedroom accommodation for the weekend starting October 23.

Rental Company: Do you want beach access?

Dog: Of course. That's where I like to poop.

Rental Company: Even if you don't poop there, you need a license to get on the beach.

Dog: Do what? Shall I call my lawyer regarding dog discrimination?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  20. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

Well, guess I'll jump in. We take our dogs everywhere with us. When we were last at Seagrove it was not legal to take them to the beach so we didn't. We went to the Outer Banks and they had to be on a leash so they were. We go to St George and they can go so we take them. We always clean up after them. Lot's of people are idiots, residents and non-residents alike. We're coming back for Thanksgiving and we'll follow whatever rules there are.