Misc VRBO now charging Service Fee ( surprised?)

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by steel1man, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

Paula, I use VRBO the same way as you. I do not have online payments turned on so the renters contact me by phone or email and then I forward them to our rental agency. This process eliminates the new VRBO fee. I have a gold subscription but our house has fallen towards the bottom of the list for Magnolia Cottages despite being well reviewed. I only have 2 open weeks left for the summer so I can't complain about inquiries. That being said, I will probably switch to bronze level since the gold level doesn't appear to be giving me any benefit. I just hope vrbo doesn't force owners to use the online payment system; that could be a game changer.

2. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Hi Ohio Girl! I have noticed no difference between gold or bronze services on VRBO in terms of rankings. Right now rentals in SoWal are booming so that has helped regardless of where a listing is ranked on VRBO. I'm booked for the summer already at both cottages and spring is pretty well booked too. Yes, it will be a game changer if VRBO makes owners use their payment services or adds additional fees if they don't. I'd be happy to hear of other alternative online rental sites that work well. My bronze listing this year that I renewed a few weeks ago cost the same as last year - so far, so good. I think it will be increasingly important to depend on word of mouth for rentals. Many renters prefer particular communities, especially if they've had a good experience at the community and in the rental, so it pays (and is just the right thing to do) to keep the rentals in great shape and maintain great relationships with the renters. Over time, the repeat guests start feeling a bit like friends and family and they treat and experience the cottages like their home away from home. You and I have places in great communities - laid back, a bit off the beaten track, away from traffic, near very nice beach. Just wish our paths would cross sometime!

3. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Been getting about 250 rent request per year since 2012..since Feb.18 ( date service fees started) had 3. This season will be a bust..lost $1268.00 in VRBO charges...the one one renter I got I deducted the fee and sent guess an invoice via
    PayPal. Will continue this. My headline now reads NoFees. If your on Twitter follow @vrbknow
    national anti vrbo group #classactionlawsuit coming.

4. gasparilla

gasparilla Beach Comber

Hi I'm wondering how things are turning out with your alternate to VRBO, ... VHR? Any luck with inquiries, bookings ? Thanks for any input

5. A.Jury

A.Jury Beach Comber

RENTERS DONT NEED TO BOOK WITH A RENTAL AGENCY! NOT ALL VRBO'S TAKE CREDIT CARDS!! WE DO NOT HAVE A FEE ON OURS AS WE DONT TAKE CREDIT CARD BUT WE DO HAVE A MANAGEMEBT COMPANY & THEY TAKE CC WITHOUT AN ADDED FEE. WE GET RENTERS INFO & PASS IT ON TO RENTAL COMPANY WHO TAKES THE CC.

6. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I still get around this by only taking checks. Only had pushback from a couple of people. Once I explain VRBO's new fee and the 5% more I'd charge for taking credit cards they understand. Also, if I elect to start taking CC's and allowing VRBO to collect their fee, will they be dealing with maintenance headaches, light bulb replacement, TV Remote issues, Coffee Maker issues? Just askin'.

7. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

You can send invoices through paypal also. Would that avoid the fee?

8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

ALL MANAGEMENT COMPANIES CHARGE A FEE

9. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Probably so. I know at some point I'll have to assimilate but for now I'll continue to fight "The Man" :pissed: Oh how I'm missed this smiley's.

10. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

If not paypal then might be worth setting up your own CC merchant account and accepting CC payments directly.

11. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

I use PayPal. Who changes your bulbs now and coffee maker problems?
    Vrbo wouldn't change that.

12. A.Jury

A.Jury Beach Comber

13. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

And that's why I don't see how much more beneficial their fee would be. I'm still having to take care of any and all issues.

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I should. We have missed a few last minute bookings due to not accepting credit cards but only a couple over 5 years. One of my vendors invoices me and we issue her a direct deposit from our checking account. Prolly should look into that too. I'm too busy in my real job so screw with it.

15. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

I noticed that fee added to our instant quote this year for our place we always rent but when we reserved it and paid the two payments that was not added to what we paid. The owner told us VRBO doesn't actually charge it.

16. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Yes it's added worldwide with Vrbo. Your rental payment breaks down:
    Rent rate say $2000.00
    Cleaning say $170.00
    Taxes say. $200.00
    Service fee (variable ) $200.00
    Insurance deposit $59.00)
    You owe the total
    Owner gets everything less service fee and insurance deposit.
    I offer renters a rate less service fee and insurance if they pay on PayPal.
    Everyone wins except VRBO

17. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

I definitely did not pay the VRBO service fee so my payment must be somehow going directly through to the person I rent from. I get some kind of invoice from her.

18. Beachy Girl

Beachy Girl Beach Comber

I give the renter the option to pay by check or pay pal and we avoid the fees. It won't be long though before they force everyone to take their payments. Secondly, if you do have use vrbo payments, they have 2 options for your credit card transactions: get your money when the guest is paid or when the guest checks in. They set you up in the second option and you have to call them to get approval to get your reimbursement when the credit card is processed for the first deposit. The second deposit is paid when the guest checks in.

19. A.Jury

A.Jury Beach Comber

To all you u VRBO owners....please join the Facebook group SAY NO TO VRBO SERVICE FEE......lots of great info

20. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Just requested it