• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
I wish someone who is tech savvy would pick up the Alaqua message on FB about the 2 9year old dogs who were surrendered due to owners losing their jobs. They are beautiful dogs and the post indicates that their time is limited at the county shelter.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
59202_499174544615_158008639615_7192653_3671846_s.jpg
Urgent help needed for two senior retrievers... Connor (neutered male) and Knonee (spayed female) have lived with their previous owners their whole lives - they are now around 9 years old. Their family lost their jobs and tried to find them home, but ran out of time. They are currently in a local high kill facility. ... Can anyone help them? Their adoption fee has been sponsored...

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Urgent help needed for two senior retrievers... Connor (neutered male) and Knonee (spayed female) have lived with their previous owners their whole lives - they are now around 9 years old. Their family lost their jobs and tried to find them home, but ran out of time. They are currently in a local high kill facility. ... Can anyone help them? Their adoption fee has been sponsored...

High kill facility? You act like the county wants to kill those animals and those that know the county workers know that is the furthest thing from the truth. Just how much and what are you doing willing to do without so that all the animals can be rescued? That label is pretty darn insulting not only to the workers but even to the citizens of this county that are footing the bill. High kill facility? Ha! People should make arrangements. You would find a way to feed your kids, so feed your dogs.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
High kill facility? You act like the county wants to kill those animals and those that know the county workers know that is the furthest thing from the truth. Just how much and what are you doing willing to do without so that all the animals can be rescued? That label is pretty darn insulting not only to the workers but even to the citizens of this county that are footing the bill. High kill facility? Ha! People should make arrangements. You would find a way to feed your kids, so feed your dogs.

wrobert-
This was taken from the Alaqua Facebook page. Simply trying to pass along the info.
I don't think anyone is implying that the county wants to kill those animals. High kill facility simply means that the percentage of animals who enter the facility are killed as opposed to adopted out.
I do argree with you that surrendering your animal is a terrible thing to do.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Heartbreaking!

I'm wondering if the family was evicted, or something? Nonetheless, it would be devastating, to lose your family pets! I pray that someone will be able to keep them together! For them to be 9 yrs. old, lose your family and each other?:sosad: Where is my farm, or, home with room for all lost furry souls, when I need it?:sosad: Can't someone please, help them?:dunno:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States

This saddens me. What are these two dogs thinking after being brought there and surrendered by their owners? I could not do that to a dog, job or no job. Especially ones I had from the time they were pups. These dogs are very healthy looking and hopefully they won't be put down just because of their age. I have to quit looking at these things. Someone please give these two dogs a new forever home, and preferably together. Just wonder how hard the people tried to find them homes? There are Retriever rescues I am sure. Wonder if they tried to locate such a place? C'mon Sowalers, let help these two beautiful dogs find a home together. They don't deserve to be in there. :sosad:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
wrobert-
This was taken from the Alaqua Facebook page. Simply trying to pass along the info.
I don't think anyone is implying that the county wants to kill those animals. High kill facility simply means that the percentage of animals who enter the facility are killed as opposed to adopted out.
I do argree with you that surrendering your animal is a terrible thing to do.

Then the people at Alaqua should be ashamed. We all should be working together to try to find a solution so that this does not occur. Labeling the county facility as a high kill facility is nothing but propaganda scare tactics. At least the county shelter is legally placed.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
Alicia, Talked to the staff up there and they had a rescue group coming to see them. Indicated I would keep them if they needed me. Just hope the two can stay together and be in a loving home. My heart goes out to folks who must give up pets b/c I know it must be just emotionally heartrending.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Alicia, Talked to the staff up there and they had a rescue group coming to see them. Indicated I would keep them if they needed me. Just hope the two can stay together and be in a loving home. My heart goes out to folks who must give up pets b/c I know it must be just emotionally heartrending.

I wish the county would make an exception for the shelter and let them use a FB page to help with adoptions. I think they could probably get more animals readopted at no cost by using FB. I help them out whenever I can by posting for them or doing a "pets of the week" in the Herald/Breeze. They are all nice people doing a tough job and they help all the animals they can.:wave:

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
I wish the county would make an exception for the shelter and let them use a FB page to help with adoptions. I think they could probably get more animals readopted at no cost by using FB. I help them out whenever I can by posting for them or doing a "pets of the week" in the Herald/Breeze. They are all nice people doing a tough job and they help all the animals they can.:wave:

I remember that in years past some realtors would sponsor a pet of the week ad in the Herald-Breeze. Does that still happen? They work hard up there to rehome animals. There are just so many at this time. The rescue groups have a wonderful ability to network and find owners who are "breed specific". My own sister-in-law found her latest Samoyeds at a shelter somewhere in the NE and had them flown to Tallahassee. I just like animals without preference to breed.