Walton County Beaches Opening May 1

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Kurt Lischka, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Your snarky comments are not helpful or welcome here. Good neighbors and County employees will do our best to pull together and get through this with kindness and respect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

Oh, I am not concerned about myself or my family at all. I am a local teacher, working remotely and my husband has a job where he too can work from home. I don’t wear a mask or gloves, but I am cautious about where I go and how close I am to people. My concern is for the people who earn their living by coming in close contact with others, such as the extremely nice, and often older, baggers at our local Publix, or the folks who clean the hotel rooms daily. Opening the beaches is going to expose them to a lot more people quickly. You seem angry, Mr. Webb, but I’m not - Just truly concerned about others in my community.

3. liz coats

liz coats Beach Lover

I'm not concerned about going to the beach right now. My concern is for the 26 million plus Americans who have lost their jobs or can't operate their businesses. I pray that this nightmare will be over soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

EXACTLY! I could care less if the beaches are open as long as the short term rentals stay closed for a bit longer. We have shown by our low infection numbers that we can be grownup and do the right thing. But I have absolutely ZERO confidence that our "visitors" will do the same. I have always said that there is a troll under the 331 bridge that makes most of the tourists that come across it to check their brain/common sense with him/her.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Today’s BCC proceedings looked like an episode of Hee-Haw. With all due respect to Hee-Haw:whitetrash:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis Beach Fanatic

Silly boy. HEE HAW was filmed in Paxton.

7. outofadream

outofadream Beach Fanatic

Totally agree.. lack of respect for our environment, our beaches, and our authorities who work hard to enforce civility.

8. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Please be advised that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold an Emergency Meeting on Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. This meeting will be held at the Walton County Courthouse, located at 571 US Highway 90, DeFuniak Springs, FL.

The purpose of this meeting is for the Walton County Board of County Commissioners to consider revising the activities allowed on the beach under Resolution 2020-35, which adopted on April 28, 2020 and reopens the beaches in Walton County effective May 1, 2020.

This meeting will be open to the public on a limited basis in order to adhere to proper social distancing protocols.

Due to the limited seating capacity, this meeting will also be accessible to the public via “Zoom”.

To participate via Zoom, please see the directions that follow.

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting now

Or iPhone one-tap :

US: +19292056099,,84508399609# or +13017158592,,84508399609#

Or Telephone:

Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):

US: +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799

Webinar ID: 845 0839 9609

9. Sweet Pot Pie

Sweet Pot Pie Beach Comber

Some of us "visitors" are respectful, pick up litter on the beach, tip our servers well, donate to groups like South Walton Turtle Watch and The REP, and invest in the area. This area that I have loved for many many years is looking less than hospitable these days.

10. outofadream

Continue doing the right thing when you visit…you don’t live here all the time and have no clue on what goes on.. if you did you’d feel the same way we do...It’s easy to close your eyes to things or not pay attention when you’re on vacation it’s a different story when you live somewhere full-time. If anyone has invested in the area it’s the people who own homes and businesses here…

11. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

Don't kid yourself. There are a lot of people who live here who never go to the beach, never been to Eden, can't pronounce Choctawhatchee... . I wish they'd go back to where they came from.

12. redfisher

redfisher Beach Fanatic

If you don't appreciate the tourism piece of Walton County and can come up with a way to replace the tax base and revenues, lets hear it. Or you can leave?

13. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

So the beaches will be open but no vacation rentals?

14. RL41

RL41 Beach Lover

That is correct. Vacation rentals have been suspended indefinitely by the Governor.

15. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Walton County
    April 30

Board revises Resolution 20-35. Beach open under normal conditions as covered by the Walton County Waterways and Beach Activities Ordinance.

Restriction apply to the following only:

All permits for vending on the beach shall be suspended and no vending on the beach, including private beaches, shall be permitted while this Local State of Emergency remains in effect.

All permits for beach bonfires shall be suspended. No beach bonfire permits will be issued while this Local State of Emergency remains in effect.

All special events on the beach shall be suspended and no special events on the beach shall be permitted while this Local State of Emergency remains in effect.

Groups of more than ten (10) people are prohibited, and a minimum of six (6) foot social distancing shall apply.

16. outofadream

Me To Bob Bob

17. outofadream

Hey red Fisher why don’t you go somewhere else this place will be fine without the tax base and revenues I don’t need the restaurants the tourist the visitors it would be clean and natural so go you move don’t tell me to move read Fisher

18. outofadream

Leave dude

19. redfisher

redfisher Beach Fanatic

It’s funny, you show contempt for the very people who grew up here, raise their kids and work here. I’ve been here for 20 years and I couldn’t live with myself destroying those livelihoods. I can only presume that you’re a transplant, because who other than that would begrudge the real locals of their livelihood. Besides that kind of petty, ignorant anger flies in the face of what the whole place is about, my friend.
    You’re a typical “Let them eat cake” tool.

20. redfisher

redfisher Beach Fanatic

And it’s Redfisher, sweetness. Spelling, like compassion for your fellow man, doesn't seem to be your long suit.