• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
I think it will be much quieter around here for the next few weeks; I certainly hope so.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I think it will be much quieter around here for the next few weeks; I certainly hope so.
The amount of people leaving and coming this weekend will tell us a lot. I think it will be a lot quieter than it normally would be could be plenty of people who have paid a lot for a rental and will want to get away from their own homes. Being here and being able to see and smell the beach. Not being able to walk on it or go swimming in the gulf will be painful. Also there may be some locals' resentment towards them.
Atlanta week will be interesting in early April.

College students don't want to be at home or on campus.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
The amount of people leaving and coming this weekend will tell us a lot. I think it will be a lot quieter than it normally would be could be plenty of people who have paid a lot for a rental and will want to get away from their own homes. Being here and being able to see and smell the beach. Not being able to walk on it or go swimming in the gulf will be painful. Also there may be some locals' resentment towards them.
Atlanta week will be interesting in early April.

College students don't want to be at home or on campus.

You'd have to think that if people know they can't go on the beaches, which will still all be closed during hellweek (Atlanta), and that many restaurants/bars are not supplying usual service, they will stay away. You'd *think*.

jocean

Beach Crab
Jan 20, 2018
seacrest
Hi everyone,
I understand everyones concern with closing the beach and deterring visitors from coming down to Walton County. For us, even though we were on the fence with the decision to close the beach, we did comply and told renters to cancel, which cost us to lose a lot of money. I listened in to all emergency county commissioner meetings and heard their sympathies with small local business etc, but I have not seen any actions to help these business. My question is, does anyone know of any work being done from the county with regards to helping out, such as postponing the property tax till June (similar to federal tax) with no penalties, forgiving tourist tax for the 30 days, etc I am sure there is a lot the county can do and I don't see any emergency meetings on that.

Ty Webb

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2020
Miramar Beach
2:30 today.. at noon they were 20 deep at every airstream. The road was a constant stream west and east looking for beach access.

Spring Break travel and activities are the worst case scenario for infection spreading.

I fear that Atlanta, Birmingham and nearly every other size city in the USA will have MASSIVE outbreaks over the next few weeks as people not only return from vacation but also from colleges and universities that send them home. Then many kids will get tired of being at home and will go back to their school or to visit friends in other places.

Give me freedom or give me death may come true for thousands if not millions.

View attachment 82243

Well when you immediately close the beach and push them off the beach, they will congregate where they did. Better move would have been to announce the beach closed at sundown, so people would naturally come off the beach at their own pace. How would you have handled this?

Ty Webb

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2020
Miramar Beach
I am just a local who wants to see us practice kindness and positivity for all in our community. That is what we do on this forum. Why the attitude? If Seasidesure is directly affecting you then you should take it up with your employer at Seaside. If you have an axe to grind post on Seaside's facebook page, not here.

Hey....James...

You reply to my question that was about Seaside, when you don't have an answer nor are in a position to know the answer, insert yourself, and chide me about attitude? I've got my answer, separate from this forum.

Perhaps add to what you "practice" mind-my-own-business and share it with your community. Namaste....buddy.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Panama City News Herald
March 20

PANAMA CITY BEACH — Panama City Beach leaders voted to close the city’s 9 miles of beaches on Friday in response to the growing coronavirus pandemic.

In a somber called meeting, the council unanimously agreed to close the sandy beaches for a week, starting a 7 p.m. tonight and lasting through Thursday — at which point the council will reconvene and determine if the closure should be extended. The decision comes as other communities around the state have closed their beaches in an attempt to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Under the terms of the emergency ordinance, police will have discretion in how to enforce the closure, such as blocking the beach access points. Failure to comply with the closure could result in a $500 fine or up to 30 days in jail.